Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this all that effects timing?

Fuel Injected!
    Not to bring up a dead thread but im jumping back onto this. Car still running hard 1.5hr + every day. Ran a tank of 87 this week and still no knock. I limited it to 8psi just in case.

This morning i marked my balancer up to 40 degrees, and while in emulation mode i commanded 0,10,20, and 30 degrees timing and checked with timing light and it corresponded on the balancer. Is there somthing im missing? Slipped harmonic balancer is the only thing I can think of but i had TWO identical balancers.

While launching off 2 step i get ALOT of backfire and flames out the exhaust which is another indicator of fairly low ignition timing (just shy of 40 degrees commanded at that load and rpm)

while im making a fair amount of power i know the car isnt putting down what it probably should just based off other's experiences and would like to really push this thing but I just cant bring myself to ignore the timing numbers on my tune....

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injected!
    One other idea. Different balancer and or timing covers over the years of 2.0 production?

Fuel Injected!
    Alright guys, any ideas at all? Im lost.

I converted back to a 2 bar map and converted everything to a $58 setup. Got a STOCK SUNBIRD 2.0 turbo bin.

After changing BPW to work with my larger injectors, I drove the car. Car was a PIG. The big turbo spooled very quick compared to normal. After just 2 one gear 3/4 throttle 8 psi pulls i pull over and the ehxuast log is starting to glow red.

I added 6 degrees timing to the WHOLE map... took it down the street. Added 6 MORE.... then 3 more.... all right off the bat. Thats 15 degrees timing total from factory tune. Car is WAY more peppy and no knock counts at all.

What the ****

I again checked ignition timing this weekend. Timing belt install has balancer mark facing 10 degrees which is what manual says and others have gotten the same thing after a quick google search...

Timing light on plug number 1 is around 6 to 10 degrees jumping around with timing connector jumped.

What the hell else can i do to figure this out??? I can say screw it and just time the dang thing by the plugs but I would like to know a rough idea what numbers im at. This is so frustraiting.

Fuel Injected!
    Could your afr be off? Too rich will slow the burn and it'll want more timing.

Fuel Injected!
    thanks for the reply, but no, its not that.