Thread: Idle timing on a cammed 97 L31

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!
    Skinny Pedel hit it. I didn't have the timing up far enough on the high KPA side. It started to come around and then suddenly got a no start issue. Well after a lot of messing around with intermittent spark I remembered a pending code that had shown up earlier. Crank sensor. Did a little checking and then called the customer. He had installed a double roller timing chain in this thing so the trigger only covers half of the sensor. Wiggled and "cocked" the sensor slightly forward and started right up. He has now picked it up to replace the double with a single and will drop it off later for me to finish.

Thanks for the input guys!

Sweet!!

I'd still like to see where and how its idling. Please share the tunes as you go. That engine can take some more timing too......

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Sweet!!

I'd still like to see where and how its idling. Please share the tunes as you go. That engine can take some more timing too......
    ^^^The L31s like alot of timing, especially with larger cams. I could not open the tune posted here because I use HPT. Stock LT1 F--car cam in my brothers Suburban really liked the timing when I threw this map at it.

My 215/220 @ .050 on 114° LSA can with Aluminum Etec 170 heads LOVES timing advance. I bet the timing could cone in even quicker with a Thumpr cams tight LSA.