Thread: Sorry if I'm asking old questions...

Carb and Points!

Sorry if I'm asking old questions...

Sorry, I'm sure I'm asking for info that is here somewhere, but it's all so spread out and like going down another rabbit hole when I begin...

My semi-local pull-you-own-part junkyard is doing an all-you-can-carry for $40 tomorrow, and though they don't have any axles I need or tranmissions I could use, It might be time for me to commit on a TBI conversion on my '80 Jeep CJ7.

But I need a little info to start...

I've read these links;
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ngine!-HOW-TO!
    and many more on the internet, and even asked a couple questions here and there... but have a few unanswered issues.

First, I know that I shouldn't expect to get terrific results from a 5.7L TBI on my AMC 360 (5.9), but wonder if it's the best starting point, and will it at least drive "okay"?

Is the stock burn from a truck different from a car or van?

Should I consider a 454 donor (assuming there's even one in the junkyard) since my AMC 360 is mildly built (Comp Cams 260H and Edelbrock Performer intake)?

Is there some library of "known good" burns that have worked on other people's conversions? I.E.: "this worked on my AMC 360 with similar cam" ?

My goals are improved economy and reliability while maintaining or improving torque.

I plan to go to the salvage yard and rob every single component from a truck or van, and maybe 2 of everything. If nothing else, I will grab multiple throttle bodies, and maybe make my $40 back in the long run.

Any advice here so I don't need to invest a lot into software or burns (or completely learn GM computer programming) would be very appreciated, as I'm trying to keep to a small (practically nonexistent) budget here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tdkask; 08-02-2015 at 07:19 AM.

The stock 5.7 donor pieces will run the engine decently to start with. Not optimally, but good enough to at least drive around with, probably even stretch it's legs a little bit too.

By "burn" I'm assuming you mean the programming on the EPROM. The calibrations can be different from one truck to the next, depending on actually application. But the differences are usually minor and usually to do with transmission type and gear ratio. For best results when simply swapping an EFI conversion on, use one with the same type of trans.

The 454 throttle body might help in your case, but it also might not. This it's one of those things where you might need to try both to see what works best for you.

As far as a repository of bins, there is, sorta, we have the main GM database in the sub forum of this one and a whole pile of stock and modified bin files in the Moates forum. There really isn't a listing in the way you describe though, and many times to swaps are so unique that what worked well in one engine may not work well on yours.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Having considered it more, If they have the parts available I will get all. If I even find any. But if so, I would grab the TB and ECU from a 454 as well, and a "axtra ECU and TB from other trucks/vans. If its all I can carry up to four each of anything, then I'd be fooling not to grab extras. I think I'll get the intake, too, just to keep things in place. Heck, maybe even a fuel pump from tank? My trans (32RH) is closest to a TH350, I guess, with 1st - 2.74, 2nd - 1.54, 3rd - 1.00. But it has a lock-up converter like a 700r4. Might be best to get a system w/700r4 if available, just to be able to use that function.

How do I go about tweaking the program for the chip, and can I have that done cheaply? Is it as simple as software and a windows laptop, or do I need to dig a lot deeper? Either way, I think I'm in for $40 tomorrow. haha

Carb and Points!
    So how did it go? What all did you get?

Carb and Points!
    Going to have to try again next "sale"... family stuff prevented my going. Now more time to prepare.

I know a guy who told me yesterday that he ran a "stock" 454 TBI on a 360 with only slightly higher than stock compression and a little more cam than I intend to run. I think I'll grab all I can and parts swap until I get the best results, then tune later when I can learn as I go.

the stock 454 TB is one thing running the stock 454 injectors without tuning... that's probably not going to work out well. those injectors are too much.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,