Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly Questions

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakedrifter View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Yes it was a truck that I removed the ECM from.

I have the red/blue connectors, I guess I should go back and grab the ALDL from the vehicle I took the ECM from. That way the ALDL pin-out will be correct.

A couple more questions, but It’s more of a process out-line.

EFI install

1. Go through my wiring harness and label everything.
    2. Install my TBI (after I rebuild it of course) w/IAC and TPS
    3. Install my O2 sensor (I’m using a single wire for now)
    4. Install my Fuel Pump (My original tank is bad so I will get a new one that is made for the in-tank fuel pump)
    5. Remove manual fuel pump and install block off plate.
    6. My Knock Sensor (83’) appears to be the same as from the EFI years.
    7. Install my HEI Distributor w/EST and Coil
    8. Install the ESC
    9. Install my Relays
    10. My air cleaner has the MAP sensor attached.
    11. Install New water temp sensor at the water neck location
    12. My van already has a VSS because of the cruise control (It’s the Yellow box behind the Dash). I’m not sure if it will work.
    13. Install EGR solenoid. I have this already. My 700r4 used a Bleed solenoid to help with Lockup. GMs recommended replacement was the EGR solenoid.
    14. Install my wiring harness

ECM

1. Load Tuner Pro on my Laptop
    2. Download the correct BIN for the vehicle I working on.
    3. Use the USB to ALDL interface to flash the EPROM with appropriate BIN (tune)
    4. If I want to fine tune or make changes, Make them in tuner pro and re flash the EPROM

• Did I leave anything out of the process?
    • What do I do with the wires for the transmission? will any of them be used for the TC lockup?
    • Is my original Knock sensor usable?

lakedrifter
    I integrated my factory harness and the TBI harness together. My floorboard had the correct hole and wire protection piece for the TBI harness existing. I swapped over to the TBI oil pressure sending unit and coolant temperature sender. I used the TBI intake after grinding the 4 center holes oblong. TBI tank and fuel lines went right in place of my stock ones and I reused the donor vans fuel pump wiring. I stole the factory choke heater power wire as the constant hot power source for the ECM. I stole the choke light in the cluster for a check engine light. I spliced into the VSS signal for my cruise. I replaced my knock sensor because it broke when I tried to remove the ESC systems original connector. For a long time I simply let the TCC lockup as it had stock with the vacuum switch, delay and thermostat housing mounted thermal vacuum valve. The TVS also controlled the stock air cleaner heat valve. When the stock 700r4 died I rebuilt the donor trans and added computer control to the lockup. You want the coolant temp sensor installed on the backside of the thermostat not after it. Otherwise it will high idle and run really rich until the thernostat opens then rapidly drop in idle speed and possibly stall. Ask me how I know that one! I used an 84' Camaro Crossfire 305 94a alternator in place of my stock 63a alternator and kept the V-Belts and massive A6 compressor for a while. I was running a 1991 or 1992 Caprice ECM and added an IAT circuit, P/S pressure switch, and WOT A/C shut-off relay for better driveability. As time progressed I swapped in a 350 with the donors serpentine setup and later on a vortec head TPI.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-31-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Fast355... Dude you are in the money. Thats exactly my setup. Cuddos on the info, it will be very helpful.

I just figured out today that i could use my built in vss. :)

As for the intake i was just going to use mine with a adapter plate.

Alot of this is food for thought. I may have more quetions if you don't mind when the time comes.

Thanks for the info...

Lakedrifter

Fuel Injected!
    Fast355... Dude you are in the money. Thats exactly my setup. Cuddos on the info, it will be very helpful.

I just figured out today that i could use my built in vss. :)

As for the intake i was just going to use mine with a adapter plate.

Alot of this is food for thought. I may have more quetions if you don't mind when the time comes.

Thanks for the info...

Lakedrifter
    I have done the intake/adapter plate method and it works well, provided you are not running EGR. I drilled and tapped the back of my projection adapter for the power brake vacuum tube, the vacuum fuel pressure regulator and cruise control vacuum hose.

Last edited by Fast355; 07-31-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    One other thing if you can get the TBI manifolds and Y-pipe in the junkyard, they have larger exits, 3" after the Y instead of 2.5", no smog tubes, delete the EFE valve and have an 02 sensor bung on the driverside. I had a little 204/214 @ .050 RV cam in my 305 and woke it up noticeably.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-31-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Does that mean Ill have to omit the EGR completely if I want to use the TBI adapter plate? Or it just won't be able to allow the ECM to control it via the EGR solenoid? I thought the 92 EGR was still controlled by vacuum and supplied by the EGR solenoid which was controlled by the ECM?

Fuel Injected!
    That 92 g20 is there still. I think ill go pull the intake and the headers with y pipe, fuel lines. I was gonna take the tank but the punch holes in them on the bottom. I wasnt sure if i could get it sealed up. I did pull the fuel pump already.

Fuel Injected!
    That 92 g20 is there still. I think ill go pull the intake and the headers with y pipe, fuel lines. I was gonna take the tank but the punch holes in them on the bottom. I wasnt sure if i could get it sealed up. I did pull the fuel pump already.
    I bought the whole van before it made it to a yard. Fuel tank should be affordible on RockAuto or Amazon.

The EGR valve and IAC motor are fighting for the same space with the Holley Projection TBI adapter. The GM 454 TBI adapter might be better.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I bought the whole van before it made it to a yard. Fuel tank should be affordible on RockAuto or Amazon.

The EGR valve and IAC motor are fighting for the same space with the Holley Projection TBI adapter. The GM 454 TBI adapter might be better.
    i didnt thi nk about the IAC sticking if to the side. I think im gonna pull that 92 intake since the engeneering is already there.

What size fuel tank is yours. When i looked on amazon i only found for efi on the van was 22 gallon. My current one is 33.

Fuel Injected!
    i didnt thi nk about the IAC sticking if to the side. I think im gonna pull that 92 intake since the engeneering is already there.

What size fuel tank is yours. When i looked on amazon i only found for efi on the van was 22 gallon. My current one is 33.
    33 for both my 83 and the 1992 donor. Just looked it up on Rock Auto for a 1993 G20 and they have two different brands of 33 gallon tanks. Both are under $150.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-31-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I knew I had some pictures somewhere. This was a marine TBI which was a 2" 454 late model style throttle body. The IAC is shorter on it than a smallblock TBI unit and it still collided with the EGR. Not to mention the Edelbrock Performer intake is a good 1/2" taller than stock.

Fuel Injected!
    You could probably find the internal wire harness for a TBI 700R4 to convert it and it's probably not that expensive. Check online rebuilder parts sources. That might be easier than trying to re-wire it yourself.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 07-31-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    But if I pull the 92 G20 intake and since the TBI came from it. I shouldn't have any interference issues? It should be a direct bolt on.

Fuel Injected!
    But if I pull the 92 G20 intake and since the TBI came from it. I shouldn't have any interference issues? It should be a direct bolt on.
    You will have to elongate the 4 center bolt holes and fabricate/buy a spacer bushing so the the bolt has good clamping force. GM revised the bolt angle from 90° to the face of the head on the old engines to 72° on the 86+ engines.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    You will have to elongate the 4 center bolt holes and fabricate/buy a spacer bushing so the the bolt has good clamping force. GM revised the bolt angle from 90° to the face of the head on the old engines to 72° on the 86+ engines.
    So the Head Face and Intake Face are still the same, the 4 center bolt hole angles on the 86+ engines are set at 72 degrees instead of 90 degree from previous years. You oblonged the 4 center bolt holes in the intake to allow access to the head threads that are at 90 degrees and shimmed the holes you drilled so they would bite enough to seal the intake? I think I have that right:)

This is probably going to be my best bet since I have to run an EGR.

Fuel Injected!
    You need the EGR for emmissions? Getting rid of it and running the carb adapter plate gives you better intake choices and makes headers easier if you do upgrades in the future.