Thread: Ostrich 2.0 Problems

Electronic Ignition!

Ostrich 2.0 Problems

I just replaced the engine in my '90 with a 383 with a new cam, heads, etc. and I chose the Ostrich 2.0 to tune it.

I'm having I think a multitude of problems, and I am nearly positive the Ostrich is one of them.

Here's the condensed version of what happened:
    When I turned the key to "on," the radiator fans both came on like they do when you jump ALDL pins for diagnosis. Then when I cranked it, it turned over but wouldn't start. I messed around with the distributor and the throttle and looked for any disconnected wires and hoses, but no luck.
    Eventually, I decided to eliminate one possibility by removing the Ostrich and reinstalling the original memcal. It ran this way, but very badly.

Anyway, now that I know the engine is capable of running, I want to troubleshoot the Ostrich. I can't find a manual or any documentation for it online (except a Moates guide on installing the Ostrich 1.0) so I have no idea what to do. From what I've read, the switches on the side are to select the wire count of the cable being used. I initially tried with them how they were already set (both switches moved toward the USB port), which is for a 28-pin cable (which I'm using). I tried it with every possible combination of switch positions, but didn't get any response. From what I can tell, the ECM should default to the memcal's "limp home mode" if the Ostrich doesn't work since the old memcal is piggybacked on the G1 adapter. But it doesn't. I'm thinking my issue is: incorrect installation, incorrect switch settings, and/or perhaps something wrong with the bin (but it was created by someone who does this for a living, so I doubt it).

When I crank it with the Ostrich hooked up, I do not smell any fuel. I would expect if the injectors are firing but the engine isn't starting I should smell gas coming out of the tailpipe, right?

Here is a picture of how it is hooked up:
    Attachment 9329

Edit: I just pulled codes from the car, and one of them was C41, which means "Loss of ECM serial data communications." Don't know if this helps.

Relevant information:
    1990 6-speed coupe Corvette
    Ostrich 2.0
    Moates G1 adapter
    1227727 ecm
    I uploaded the bin using tunerpro RT, then verified the Ostrich RAM against the bin which returned a success.
    Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 07-28-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    what ecm are you running? some require a booster socket.

Electronic Ignition!
    Apologies, I have the 1227727 ECM and am using the Moates G1. I'll update the original post to include this.

I am assuming this is a Corvette? It helps to be extremely explicit about things when making a help post. ;)

From the picture your ribbon cable is installed backwards. ;)

The ECM may actually be reverting to LHM, but it may not be close enough to actually run the car. To test that, and do this at your own discretion, disconnect anything from the socket in the G1 adapter and force LHM. If the car starts and runs then you know LHM is good enough to at least limp the car. Many times with even some mildly modified engines LHM does actually run the engine.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 07-28-2015 at 02:15 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ahh, sorry again. Yes, it's a Corvette. Normally I'm on Corvetteforum so I forgot that I need to specify make and model.

Well hooking it up backward is a lame mistake to make

Thanks. I'll flip it and see what happens.

By "disconnect anything" do you mean both the Ostrich and the original memcal?

No, the original MEMCAL contains the LHM chips, I mean disconnect the ostrich or EEPROM from the socet of the G1. This will force the LHM to be used.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    You are the greatest! I flipped the Ostrich around and it ran!

Would it still be advantageous to attempt to use LHM?

I ony test it to see if it will actually work, on some cars, if I think it may be needed at any point ever. Otherwise, no there's no advantage to using it.

Glad to hear you got it running.