Thread: Help with AutoProm

Carb and Points!

Help with AutoProm

I'm trying to get up and running with my new Moates APU1 AutoProm. Truck is a 95 Sierra, 350TBI/4L60E, 7427 PCM. I had it running fine with a stock BIN loaded, doing real time tuning and datalogging. Went wrong somewhere when I saved the edited BIN and tried to burn it to the chip in Tuner Pro RT. I got a code 51 PROM error.

Basic thing I'd like to know is if the truck will run off the chip in the AutoProm without a laptop connected. Just the AutoProm connected with the 28 pin ribbon cable to the G2 adapter in the PCM. I think I can figure my way around my chip burning problem once I know that. Thanks!

Yes, there should be no problem using the APU1 as an EPROM replacement.

You need to verify the offsets used when programming the EEPROM. Usually this is taken care of with the Moates hardware inteface in Tuner Pro, but sometimes it's not perfect.

You need to select the EPROM size, then load the bin to the buffer then program the EEPROM. The notch of the EEPROM is placed towards the handle, with the chip placed in the socket towards the other end of the socket.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Going through similar issues and nowhere near as knowledgeable as other guys here but I have had my 94 G20 van running off the APU1 and only connected to the PCM via the ribbon cable, no laptop connected.
    When you say chip in the AutoProm, I assume you mean the AutoProms internal memory not a chip sitting in the ZIF socket on the top of the AutoProm.

Do not emulate with a chip in the socket on the AP.
    Chip only goes into the socket if you are burning or reading it.

Your code 51 could also be that you didn't make the mask ID = to AA.
    Otherwise as soon as you make a change the checksum would be invalid and cause the code 51.
    86 Monte, 406, Hyd Roller, 700R4 beefed, G3-APU1 and NVSRAM 730, S_AUJP

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP86SS View Post
    Do not emulate with a chip in the socket on the AP.
    Chip only goes into the socket if you are burning or reading it.

Your code 51 could also be that you didn't make the mask ID = to AA.
    Otherwise as soon as you make a change the checksum would be invalid and cause the code 51.
    I tried the mask ID to AA, didn't fix the code 51, but I probably had lots of other things wrong at that time. Got a lot to learn about this Autoprom.

Doesn't the truck run off the BIN loaded to the 27SF512 chip in the ZIF socket if I'm using the 28 pin cable to the PCM? Or does the BIN get loaded to Autoprom internal memory (Load file to buffer in TunerProRT), and the truck runs off that data? So I do all the tuning with internal AutoProm BIN, then burn my final tuned BIN to a chip when I'm ready to install into the PCM itself. Thanks for the help, gonna be a while for me to grasp this!

Carb and Points!
    Finally got this AP figured out. I tried just loading my stock BIN to the AutoProm buffer (no chip in the ZIF socket), hooked it up with the 28 pin ribbon cable alone, runs great! Now that I got this thing running I can do some tuning instead of fighting with wrong setup. Kinda excited to get started now.