Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: $OD A/E Help

Fuel Injected!

$OD A/E Help

I am trying to learn what I need to adjust to add more A/E to my truck. I'm running Tuner Pro RT. I was looking at the TPS% vs AE and MAP vs AE but those only have Msec to correct. Where would I need to look in order to add? I have been reading all over the place but yet to see what field to make these adjustments. Many thanks in advance.

R.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Smith View Post
    I am trying to learn what I need to adjust to add more A/E to my truck. I'm running Tuner Pro RT. I was looking at the TPS% vs AE and MAP vs AE but those only have Msec to correct. Where would I need to look in order to add? I have been reading all over the place but yet to see what field to make these adjustments. Many thanks in advance.

R.S.
    I've always adjusted TPS% VS AE. You can start by increasing all the values by 10-15% and see how that goes.

BLG
    My Build: 95 K1500, 355ci w/ OEM roller setup - zero decked, Eagle steel crank, Scat bushed H-beam rods, Speed Pro 2V flat top pistons - Rotating assembly balanced. Dart 165cc Iron Eagle S/S heads - 72cc chambers - 1.94 / 1.50 valves. Isky roller cam - 204/209 dur @ .050 - .480/.496 lift with Comp Magnum 1.6 rockers, Edelbrock 3704 intake - Bored to 52mm - 454 throttle body, Delco EP381 fuel pump @ 18 psi running through 80# 454 injectors. Hedman Headers into 3" Dynomax exhaust.

I hate tuning AE. always too much or not enough. just something you have to play with. I have found the multipliers vs temp make the biggest changes
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    BLG, please help me understand how increasing the Msec adds more fuel? I'm not questioning you, I just want to have an idea on what I'm doing. To me it looks like it's just adding time the AE will be active.

Thanks,
    RS

R.S.
    What intake manifold are you running?
    1995 K1500, Stock LO5, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 265/75-16 tires, L&L Products Ultra-flow headers into 2-1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadknee View Post
    What intake manifold are you running?
    Stock.
    everything on the LO5 is stock from 95 GMC K1500. Throttle Body Mods done and fuel pressure is at 14.25 or so. Changed in computer accordingly to correspond. Also, bumped up initial timing 2 deg. and made change in computer as well. If that makes any difference at all.
    Last edited by Rally Smith; 07-15-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Being a stock engine and you have 14.5 PSI fuel pressure, you may want to actually take some AE away. Too much will make it want to stumble and miss. It's a balancing act like PJG1173 said.

BLG
    My Build: 95 K1500, 355ci w/ OEM roller setup - zero decked, Eagle steel crank, Scat bushed H-beam rods, Speed Pro 2V flat top pistons - Rotating assembly balanced. Dart 165cc Iron Eagle S/S heads - 72cc chambers - 1.94 / 1.50 valves. Isky roller cam - 204/209 dur @ .050 - .480/.496 lift with Comp Magnum 1.6 rockers, Edelbrock 3704 intake - Bored to 52mm - 454 throttle body, Delco EP381 fuel pump @ 18 psi running through 80# 454 injectors. Hedman Headers into 3" Dynomax exhaust.

BLG, please help me understand how increasing the Msec adds more fuel? I'm not questioning you, I just want to have an idea on what I'm doing. To me it looks like it's just adding time the AE will be active.

Thanks,
    RS
    I'm not 100% sure on this, as far as what it is actually effecting. I do know that a little bit goes a long way and it is easy to go past the sweet spot. Someone with a little more knowledge on it may chime in with a good answer.

BLG

Fuel Injected!
    I am running headers with dual exhaust if that makes any difference...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLG355 View Post
    Being a stock engine and you have 14.5 PSI fuel pressure, you may want to actually take some AE away. Too much will make it want to stumble and miss. It's a balancing act like PJG1173 said.
    BLG

I've read in several places where 13 psi was barely enough to run the engine as it was.

The whole reason for AE is to keep the engine from dying when you open the throttle, which causes vacuum loss. It acts like the accelerator pump does on a carb. Based on what I know; intake, heads, and throttle body size are the direct factors in setting the AE. I had to retune my AE when I went from the 5.7 to 454 throttle body, and again when I went from 5.7 to 7.4 injectors. I was running 61# injectors at 22psi, and I am now running 80# injectors at 18psi. on the 5.7 injectors at one point I had it topping out at over 8000 at 50%, now it is under 5000, but still way more than stock. My build isn't overly aggressive but with the increased plenum volume and larger heads it definitely needed a lot more AE over stock.

Is it cutting out when you hit the throttle? from my experiences it will cutout when it needs more, and stumble when it's too much. I've already had it puffing black smoke out.

BLG

I use the data log to adjust AE. I've found that using a Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) is the best was to adjust AE using Air Fuel Ratios (AFR's). Knowing when AE is active and knowing the ACTUAL AFR will REMOVE all the guess work in tuning AE! I filter the data log using Excel, see attached screen shot.

It's also possible to adjust AE using Injector DC and MPH. It stands to reason if the MPH increases faster with a larger Injector DC then More AE is needed. It also stands to reason if the MPH increases faster with less Injector DC then Less AE is needed.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've found that using a Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) is the best was to adjust AE using Air Fuel Ratios (AFR's).
    dave w
    I keep saying this but I really need to get a wide band o2 sensor.

BLG

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLG355 View Post
    The whole reason for AE is to keep the engine from dying when you open the throttle, which causes vacuum loss. It acts like the accelerator pump does on a carb. Based on what I know; intake, heads, and throttle body size are the direct factors in setting the AE. I had to retune my AE when I went from the 5.7 to 454 throttle body, and again when I went from 5.7 to 7.4 injectors. I was running 61# injectors at 22psi, and I am now running 80# injectors at 18psi. on the 5.7 injectors at one point I had it topping out at over 8000 at 50%, now it is under 5000, but still way more than stock. My build isn't overly aggressive but with the increased plenum volume and larger heads it definitely needed a lot more AE over stock.

Is it cutting out when you hit the throttle? from my experiences it will cutout when it needs more, and stumble when it's too much. I've already had it puffing black smoke out.

BLG
    Yeah it cuts out when I stab the pedal until I back off of it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I use the data log to adjust AE. I've found that using a Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) is the best was to adjust AE using Air Fuel Ratios (AFR's). Knowing when AE is active and knowing the ACTUAL AFR will REMOVE all the guess work in tuning AE! I filter the data log using Excel, see attached screen shot.

It's also possible to adjust AE using Injector DC and MPH. It stands to reason if the MPH increases faster with a larger Injector DC then More AE is needed. It also stands to reason if the MPH increases faster with less Injector DC then Less AE is needed.

dave w
    Yeah, I was looking at getting a WBO2 but haven't yet. I'll try to find the Injector Duty Cycle in Tuner Pro and toy with some stuff I guess. Here's to hoping nothing breaks!