Thread: wondering about what you like

Fuel Injected!

wondering about what you like

hi I was setting here thinking about car an trucks that I work on, iam 61 almost I have work in a garage most of my life since I was 11 and was wondering which vehicles the members on here prefure or not prefure to work on, all makes and models.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    hi I was setting here thinking about car an trucks that I work on, iam 61 almost I have work in a garage most of my life since I was 11 and was wondering which vehicles the members on here prefure or not prefure to work on, all makes and models.
    Personally, I hate working on anything Honda. Absolutely nothing wrong or bad about Honda PRODUCTS! I'm not BASHING Honda's in any way, shape or forum. What I'm saying is ... 30+ years ago when I was making a living working on cars, someone asked me what was the "BEST" car. My answer was extremely quick and straight to the point ... any car I can BEAT THE BOOK REPAIR HOURS TABLE on is the "BEST" car to work on!

I could not repair anything Honda, in less time than the book repair hours showed! It's all about the $$$ not the Honda's!

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    LOL, I hate working on my own stuff. working on everyone else's vehicles pays better. personally though I like working on pre-2000 chevy trucks. they are simple and with plenty of room under the hood to work with.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    If you're including all vehicles, I prefer the Bell OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. It was one of the easiest helicopters to keep flying (and also good at putting steel on target), I guess that's why they're getting rid of them. For cars specifically, it'd be anything rear or 4 wheel drive and fuel injected. If the engine is in sideways, I don't care to touch them.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    iwasnt intending on bashing vehicales ether,car I enjoyed most was old pre 75 vw bettles maybe cause I was a kid. the new bettles compared to them in my opinon are over enginnered and made compecated like most new products. them germans are smart, they had efi in 1968 and it worked pretty good.

I dislike working on pretty much anything import, or anything front wheel drive.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I know what you mean dave, the job I had before this one the man I worked for was about the same as me worked most of his life on cars.he was 13 years older than me , .9 hourers what that cant be right he would split the differents up of what he made and what he charged the customer as to the time it took. ps I think that is how that car componys would show a low mantaince cost for their product.
    Last edited by ony; 07-11-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: more info

Administrator
    The buses and vans in our fleet are tough because the engines are always buried. The new generation diesels are much more complicated than the old days and we don't always see a warning before a problem occurs. Electronics are getting so interrelated that you can't even swap used parts sometimes. Aftermarket can't afford to try to keep up with electronics so at times it takes a *bunch* of creativity and resourcefulness to keep a van going. I just ordered replacement brushes for a 2004 van ABS pump motor because the only other option was a $2300 part from a dealer. Thank goodness for the internet!

Why so many people in the repair field seem to have troubles with Honda and other Asian makes seem to have an explanation to me. I once took a very difficult Logic class. The instructor was Vietnamese and he laid out all the rules and expectations at the beginning of class. Any variation, like putting your name in the wrong place on a report cover, or failing to use the correct wording where it was specified, meant a large grade loss. My experience with Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and similar makes follows suit as there is a specific order to do the job and any variation causes a problem. The only one that was not an issue for many years was Toyota. Maybe that's because they based many of their early designs on domestic manufacturers' vehicles.

I love custom work. I love the design and building of a custom vehicle or project. I also love technically challenging jobs, especially a difficult to diagnose problem. I just finished putting my '36 Plymouth back together, and I love working on that car because it's so basic. But our 10 yr old washer just now kicked up an error message. Apparently the drain pump isn't working so it sounds like a repair job is coming that I won't like one bit.

Fuel Injected!
    you know I have seen more abs problem on 2000-2005 buicks and impalas this year than in the previes 5 years. I guess age and heat is starting to get to them.

Fuel Injected!
    Over my 20+ year as a tech, I dislike any vehicle I can't make money on. While working at a GM dealer when the Duramax came out, the first time I had to perform an injector replacement took just about all 8 hours that warranty paid. But after that was a gravy 4 hour job, times 2 a day, you get the idea. My nightmare vehicle was an 80-something Volvo but that's another story for a different day.

My "ideal" vehicle to work on is anything v8 and at least as old as I am. :-)

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Electronic Ignition!
    Only cars I can sit on the fender well to change the plugs!!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhoades001 View Post
    Only cars I can sit on the fender well to change the plugs!!
    Absolutely HATE working on Fords especially modular motors. The engineering is attrocious and the simple act of lining the timing marks up to pull a 4.6 timing chain took a solid hour. Not to mention spark plug changes are done after lots of praying and depending on the year have to keep either a rethread tool or extractor tool handy. I had to change an oil pan once on a rusty norther 5.8L powered E150. Damn near impossible. Eventually ended up removing the upper plenum and jacking the engine up as high as possible. The Chevy van and Express pans slide right out with a little rocking of the crank. FWD stuff can be tight but not all that bad. Import stuff is also not too bad. I put headers on my 4x4 Titan when I had it and once I figured out it was easy to remove the front differential to open up access to the motor mount bolts it was a breeze to do. I bought a nice set of swivel head ratchet wrenches and black oxide deep impact sockets. for that job from Northern Tools. Liked them so well I had to go back and pickup a set of each in SAE.