Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TunerPro starter Tutorial! New users this is a must read! :-)

Carb and Points!
    Excellent thread. This is exactly what I needed to read to help me get started. I will be reading this over and over before the next step, to let it sink in, as I am a full fledged rookie right now.

Electronic Ignition!
    Okay, so I dunno if my google-fu is just horrendous this week, but I can't for the life of me find a straight answer on what all I need, and what all I can do, to flash my ECM from a 2000 chev 1500. 16220610.
    Everything I keep finding is for OBDi.

Can someone list the hardware/software I'll need to flash out some emissions/antitheft for this ECM?

Quote Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
    Okay, so I dunno if my google-fu is just horrendous this week, but I can't for the life of me find a straight answer on what all I need, and what all I can do, to flash my ECM from a 2000 chev 1500. 16220610.

Can someone list the hardware/software I'll need to flash out some emissions/antitheft for this ECM?
    OBDII tuning hardware/software is a bit more pricey than OBDI.

Try looking at this site http://www.moates.net/gm-1996present...-c-100_58.html

Craig Moates and his team can hook you up with what you need, and point you in the right direction.
    A word of caution though....once you get started tuning...........you won't be able to stop!!

James

P.S. A spare PCM wouldn't be a bad thing to have just in case you let the smoke out of the one you have...JMHO
    04 Lightning Pullies n Tune CAI
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT
    93 K1500 383 LT1 with Low RPM 4x4 torque cam

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by bybyc5 View Post
    OBDII tuning hardware/software is a bit more pricey than OBDI.

Try looking at this site http://www.moates.net/gm-1996present...-c-100_58.html

Craig Moates and his team can hook you up with what you need, and point you in the right direction.
    A word of caution though....once you get started tuning...........you won't be able to stop!!

James

P.S. A spare PCM wouldn't be a bad thing to have just in case you let the smoke out of the one you have...JMHO
    Yea, I checked with them, but they seem to be pretty much just pushing EFIlive now. I didn't find anything on their site with regards to getting the job done without paying per-vin licensing fees. I know it can be done, as my regular guy does it for me all the time, but he's secretive about what he's using.

Am I wrong in thinking that I just need the correct cable/adapter and tunerproRT to do what I need? I know for the older ECM's, you had to swap out the eeprom with something flashable, but thought with the 97+, it was simply a matter of setting up your data link, pulling the bin, pairing it up with the appropriate ADX, making your changes and flashing it back (all done with TunerproRT) ?

*edit* Okay, so I actually spoke to Moates support about this. The roadrunner with tunercat apparently used to get the job done, but they no longer sell the RR as the manufacturer of some of the underlying electronics no longer makes it, which I suppose leaves me stuck buying EFIlive at $900, which is absurd when all I need to do is remove some emissions and antitheft.
    There's gotta be someone out there who's got a better answer for such a simple job.
    Last edited by blistovmhz; 04-12-2016 at 09:36 PM.

I don't know of any way to use TunerPro to do what you want to do. Maybe email Mark and ask him?

TunerCat does offer an alternative to the RR that Craig apparently does not support anymore.
    Here is a link to Jegs that sells a system for that, although still a bit pricey at $400

http://www.jegs.com/p/JET-Performanc...62010/10002/-1

And a link to the Jet website, although they want more money for the same thing sold at Jegs ??
    http://jetchip.com/

Maybe email TunerCat and ask them for ways to get what you need done. Their support team is good and responsive, at least my experience with them has been good.

http://www.tunercat.com/index.html

HTH

James
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT

Electronic Ignition!
    Yea, discussed with Tunercat and Moates. Sounds like everyone sold their software or licensed it to the big programmers. Jet seems like the cheapest option, but there is no fucking data sheets on their hardware/software and their website doesn't work at all (404's all over the place). The two sales people I've talked to there have no idea what I'm trying to do, but I'm going to call back again today and see if I can get something figured out.
    In the mean time, once again, sent my ECM to LT1swap, as it'll be holding me up otherwise.

There is one more option I know of if you care to build it yourself. You will need decent soldering skills, but it isn't difficult.
    MegaSquirt. It has come a long way over the years, and offers kits to do just about anything you want. The already built units are more money..read expensive.

The DIY kits are reasonable.

I built an MS2 about 8 or 9 years ago for an LT1 project I had. It was a lot of tedious soldering, but in the end it completely replaced the LT1 PCM and the OptiSpark distributor.
    That distributor was what I was wanting getting rid of, and used a crank pulley mounted trigger wheel.

Your coil over plug system would use your existing CKP signal and keep your sequential injector fire as well.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg.../megasquirt-3/

HTH

James

Fuel Injected!

The number you posted (16220610) is the Hardware number - which is probably why you haven't received a greater response to your post. The PCM Service number will be 09354896 (used in 1999 and 2000), the forerunner to the popular 12200411 PCM (used in 2001 and 2002).

Current options for tuning this PCM yourself include LS1Edit, HP Tuners, EFI Live, and JET DST.

Also, this Forum tends to be an older crowd, so dropping F-bombs in your posts will probably lead to being ignored, or eventually banned.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by bybyc5 View Post
    There is one more option I know of if you care to build it yourself. You will need decent soldering skills, but it isn't difficult.
    MegaSquirt. It has come a long way over the years, and offers kits to do just about anything you want. The already built units are more money..read expensive.

The DIY kits are reasonable.

I built an MS2 about 8 or 9 years ago for an LT1 project I had. It was a lot of tedious soldering, but in the end it completely replaced the LT1 PCM and the OptiSpark distributor.
    That distributor was what I was wanting getting rid of, and used a crank pulley mounted trigger wheel.

Your coil over plug system would use your existing CKP signal and keep your sequential injector fire as well.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg.../megasquirt-3/

HTH

James

Yup. I've long considered a MegaSquirt, but less because it's relatively open and can be modified like a free man, and more out of principle. I do enough swaps now that being able to disable a few emissions and make a few small changes myself has become an issue. I'm not however, doing a lot of major performance tuning to any single vehicle.
    Up here in the north, everything is absurdly expensive compared to the US, and most people are just entirely complacent about it, so they either insist it's a "pay to play" thing, or they just don't bother doing fun stuff like engine swaps. When I did my 5.3 swap in the XJ, almost no one in the area had any idea what I was trying to accomplish. Heaps of guys just insisted that the v8 was pointless and/or that it'd take 6-8 months and $20-$30k to complete. Once I finished it and my Jeep had been spotted on the trail a bunch of times, all of a sudden the tone changed and the v8 was no longer pointless, and lots of guys started coming to me wanting input on how to do their own swaps. Now I'm on my third (just finished a 6.0L into the k1500 and just got a 5.3 fitted into my ground up first gen 4runner build), and I've got 10 or 15 guys wanting me to help get them setup, and a big part of that is the simple emissions and antitheft programming. All of the shops in the area want $250+ for this, and none of them really seem to understand what actually needs to be done so it always turns into a big argument with local shops. They also insist that HPtuners VIN credits are $150-$200 each, while I can just look at their website and see that they're only $50, which pisses me off at least a little bit.

I'll probably end up with an MS on the runner eventually, as it'll probably be the first motor I really want to get a little more juice out of, but it doesn't really solve the problem of being able to provide basic engine swap programming.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    The number you posted (16220610) is the Hardware number - which is probably why you haven't received a greater response to your post. The PCM Service number will be 09354896 (used in 1999 and 2000), the forerunner to the popular 12200411 PCM (used in 2001 and 2002).

Current options for tuning this PCM yourself include LS1Edit, HP Tuners, EFI Live, and JET DST.

Also, this Forum tends to be an older crowd, so dropping F-bombs in your posts will probably lead to being ignored, or eventually banned.
    I have no idea what I'm doing compared to you guys :p. As I said, I'm not completely illiterate with this stuff, but I just don't have the specific experience necessary to speak the language.

I suppose though it seems like my question has been answered. I know there used to be several methods which did not require per-vin licensing, for 99+ LS/LT's, but seems like they've all since been sold/licensed to the big names, who are now charging per-vin. HPtuners seems to be the cheapest (which surprises the hell outta me as the last time I looked at them, they were the most expensive). Their current pricing schedule, as far as I can gather from it, is $50/vin, which I think is completely reasonable.

Thanks guys.

Fuel Injected!
    I have no idea what I'm doing compared to you guys :p. As I said, I'm not completely illiterate with this stuff, but I just don't have the specific experience necessary to speak the language.

I suppose though it seems like my question has been answered. I know there used to be several methods which did not require per-vin licensing, for 99+ LS/LT's, but seems like they've all since been sold/licensed to the big names, who are now charging per-vin. HPtuners seems to be the cheapest (which surprises the hell outta me as the last time I looked at them, they were the most expensive). Their current pricing schedule, as far as I can gather from it, is $50/vin, which I think is completely reasonable.

Thanks guys.
    For HP Tuners, you normally need to use 2 credits per VIN, so it's closer to $100 (you can get discounted credits). Where it starts getting cheaper is when you unlock model year groups, but you have to do enough of them to make it worth the initial investment.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    Here you go, everything you need to know for the ford's

http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Thank you for compiling all this information in 1 location, I am having problems getting my laptop to communicate with my truck. I am using a win 7 laptop an adapter I bought from ebay that looks similar to the one used in these posts and apparently my truck has a refurbished 7-7747 ECM. The test using settings comes back good without vehicle connected but, I never get a connection when I aquire data so of course the live data feeds never report either. I have checked everything I can think of to recheck any chance I could get some help?

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for this info, Eaglemark. I'm a new user, at present I am only trying to retrieve data from the ECU as I've transplanted a 5.7 smallblock into my 89 S10 and am having some drivability issues I need to resolve. To say Tunerpro has a steep learning curve is an understatement, and I'm an IT guy so I know a thing or two about steep learning curves!

Carb and Points!
    Hi! I'm new in the forum and in the tuner world as well. I'm quite lost as i don't really understand much. I know most of the discusions are about american cars and so but i wonder i i can get to understand how it works...My question as a begginer is, i found the way to get the .bin from the chips in my ecm (vw tdi engine) desoldering the chips and reading the with a machine similar to the burn2 from moates. As i read, i also need the mask (.xdf) and the .adx. well the bin is clear what it is, but the xdf i don't understand clearly, is like the file that determines where and how the data in the bin files should be addressed to be able to be read by a human? and what about the .adx?I'm sorry if the questions a for a very low level on general knowledge.. and terrible english...Thanks