Thread: Hello everyone. 81 GMC Owner/lover

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Hello everyone. 81 GMC Owner/lover

Hello everyone, I am glad to be here. After a lot of searching I think this is the place to be. I am rebuilding (slowly) a 5.7 liter SBC engine for my aging GMC as part of an ongoing labor of love. Many years ago I saw an 81 GMC 4x4 in used lot and immediately knew this was the truck I wanted, so I sold the truck I had and bought my baby. Over the years I have done improvements and always wanted to do more but the one thing I really wanted to do but never did due to cost and not knowing how, was to upgrade to a TBI. I had done a little research and figured it wasn't super hard but never committed, partly since I wanted a new engine with it. Well, now I'm committed and have a plan. This is my planned engine build:

-88 5.7 liter Chevy short block lightly used with a measured CR of 9.3 to 1 using a 64cc heads
    -Promaxx 185cc Vortec heads 64cc chamber with 2.02 and 1.6 valves with 5.75 capable springs
    -Chevy performance hydraulic roller lifers
    -JEGS 1.5 CnC roller rocker arms
    -Comp XR258HR cam (still not sure of this)
    -*dual plane vortec intake manifold
    -TBI to carb adapter plate
    -*TBI power plate PP-200 (R.V.Morse Machine)
    -*Bored 2" TB (R.V.Morse Machine)
    I will probably use short headers, and 2.5 inch dual exhaust.

My truck has a Turbo 350 transmission with 3.42 axles and a transfer case NP208 (I think). I have a Delco re-manufactured computer module SVC #: 01227747
    I want this build to be capable of being a daily driver and hauling and pulling as needed, which is seldom, but I also want a little something extra. I have read similar builds on this forum and will continue to read to refine my understanding.
    My primary questions which I am researching here are:
    how much cam can a TBI handle and still idle well (of course I will need to have a chip programmed correctly)?
    And, do I need a bored TBI to handle this build?

I am by no means stuck on this current build idea, that's why I'm here, I think the people here know much more than I do and would love some feedback. If I missed anything let me know.
    I know it’s a long “Hello” but I thought I would get the basics covered.
    Last edited by jdbrown; 06-30-2015 at 05:47 PM.