Bringing TBI and Multi Port Fuel Injection to a New Level.     EFI Conversions and Tuning! Seattle to Portland! E-mail Tuning Consultant!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65

Thread: LQ4 Power

  1. #31
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakes Region, NH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,694
    Apples and oranges, I'm sorry I tried to vary the tech here. It won't happen again.
    I appreciated the information on the new cam and the dyno results. LS swaps are super common these days but 20 years ago the SBC used to get the same abuse. There were always people around then arguing that their favorite engine , something other than a Chevy, made just as much power. Maybe... some guys do seem to do amazing things with an engine. But time marches on and the SBC is likely to continue to decrease in popularity while more and more LS family engines are available cheap in the wrecking yards. Cheap + available is what drives the "engine swap" market. So with that in mind, if you've found a way to make cheap + available more attractive, then I love to hear about it.

  2. #32
    Carb and Points!
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Apples and oranges, I'm sorry I tried to vary the tech here. It won't happen again.
    I thought this was some good tech info, I could read these kind of threads all day(minus the bs of course).
    Last edited by hammered94; 07-02-2015 at 12:42 PM.

  3. #33
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    1,382
    I guess these old 350s are just garbage and don't work in their intended environment or work efficiently LMAO!!

    My brother and I drove from Fort Worth to San Antonio, TX today to pickup a Jeep Cherokee and a stranded cousin. He blew a radiator hose and the headgasket or cracked the head. I had to stop for fuel in Austin which is about 80 miles north of where I was headed. Cruised those 80 miles at about the 80-85 mph speed limit. Went and picked up a U-haul and the Jeep near downtown San Antonio. Then we all drove back home. ~ 270miles loaded with the A/C blasting and running 65-70 mph in 3rd gear turning 2,600-3,000 rpm. Drove 372 miles on 25.8 gallons, 270 of those miles pulling 6,500+ lbs and a trailer whose surge brakes did not seem to like to fully release for a couple of miles after bumping them. Picture was take right befor I let alot of air out of the Jeeps tires and strapped the suspension down with 15K ratcheting tie down straps. The 350 actually pulls the flats in 4th gear but pulling that kind of weight with a 3.73 gear it is a bit lugged for the cam in it. If I had 4.10s and or a 383 or both I would tow all over in overdrive. I did not nail it from a dead stop with the load, but I did kick it down to first gear a few times accelerating from the frontage road onto the on-ramp to better meet the 80 mph traffic. Pulls like a damn freight train from 2,500-5,200 rpm Tow/Haul shift points.

    Last edited by Fast355; 07-03-2015 at 10:25 PM.

  4. #34
    What would make your van better is no windows, so when you abduct small children they cant see out. They would only hear the awesome sound your engine makes.

    I thought maybe you could appreciate something someone did on their own time and design. Nope, I was wrong. I thought maybe you'd like to see something different. Nope, I was wrong. I thought maybe you'd like to see something that wasn't built by a magazine first with a recipe for you to copy and built an engine to a T.. Nope, I was WAY wrong. I thought maybe you could provide your own home home grown tech that meant something and contributed to something further than what everyone else has done. Nope, wrong again. I'll just quit thinking cuz DAMN if I won't be wrong every time. Maybe just maybe, one day if I wish real hard I will have a penis the size of yours. Dang, probably won't...

    I feel I have been overly polite in dealing with this. Dick measuring on the internet is retarded, it means nothing. Its a total waste of time and resources. What may have it taken away, the 1 in 1,000,000,000 people that might have found anything useful. Now they sift through a second build of 355 awesomeness. Can we just re-title the thread to "I'm better than you, Na Na Nah Boo Boo"

    Edit

    I would totally use this paint scheme.
    Attachment 9229
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 07-04-2015 at 12:59 PM.

  5. #35
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    What would make your van better is no windows, so when you abduct small children they cant see out. They would only hear the awesome sound your engine makes.

    I thought maybe you could appreciate something someone did on their own time and design. Nope, I was wrong. I thought maybe you'd like to see something different. Nope, I was wrong. I thought maybe you'd like to see something that wasn't built by a magazine first with a recipe for you to copy and built an engine to a T.. Nope, I was WAY wrong. I thought maybe you could provide your own home home grown tech that meant something and contributed to something further than what everyone else has done. Nope, wrong again. I'll just quit thinking cuz DAMN if I won't be wrong every time. Maybe just maybe, one day if I wish real hard I will have a penis the size of yours. Dang, probably won't...

    I feel I have been overly polite in dealing with this. Dick measuring on the internet is retarded, it means nothing. Its a total waste of time and resources. What may have it taken away, the 1 in 1,000,000,000 people that might have found anything useful. Now they sift through a second build of 355 awesomeness. Can we just re-title the thread to "I'm better than you, Na Na Nah Boo Boo"

    Edit

    I would totally use this paint scheme.
    Attachment 9229
    Actually not about that at all! Just said I will keep my old engines in my trucks and build fast cars with the new ones and YOU challenged me to it. I am actually building 2 of your favorite 6L engines as we speak and both are destined for light cars.

    You are the one being the dick about it.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.

  6. #36
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I guess these old 350s are just garbage and don't work in their intended environment or work efficiently LMAO!!
    [sarcasm]Yes, obviously the engineers at GM are complete retards because they set back their engine development by 80 years when they abandoned the more powerful and better on fuel small block for their LS engines. Everyone else who's swapping them must be retards too.[/sarcasm]

    Sorry, but a bunch of your claims are BS. You're not taking a $2600 budget and putting together a small block and running circles around this engine below 5k rpm with a 215* duration cam. If you put together the right combo then you could approach the same power with that size of cam, but that's about it. You're probably also one of the people that claim the 90's LT1's had more torque and was faster than the LS1 too....

    Skinny Pedal showed a very potent engine you can build on a budget. I give him a big thumbs-up for that and an even bigger one once the cam info is available so others can duplicate what he did.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Actually not about that at all! Just said I will keep my old engines in my trucks and build fast cars with the new ones and YOU challenged me to it. I am actually building 2 of your favorite 6L engines as we speak and both are destined for light cars.

    You are the one being the dick about it.
    Bwahahahah, your ignorance is epic. I knew the response would be great.

    In a paragraph is there more than one sentence or just the sentence you see? I'm guessing you only pick out and retain select things without comprehending the overall idea.

    Example 1 - Take your statements in the last response and find the EXACT words I used. Please do and share them in an unedited quote.

    1 - Is a 6L my FAVORITE engine.
    2 - Find the EXACT challenge.

    Please post up what you find. I have a feeling its very different than the way you perceived.

    I'm not look for kudos or a pat on the back. I was just sharing what I thought an EFI and TUNIG site might have thought was useful. Dang me thinking again.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Skinny Pedal showed a very potent engine you can build on a budget. I give him a big thumbs-up for that and an even bigger one once the cam info is available so others can duplicate what he did.
    Thanks. We are working on putting the cam kits together. The cam has less then 215 on the intake and a little more than 215 on the exhaust.... Lift is relevant to cathedral port head. LSA is very tame, between 114-116 depending on displacement.

    As far as 2600 goes thats whats in the engine. Not the exhaust, tuning, tuning software, my underwear and on and on..... I tune for a living so all my tuning equipment is very paid for. I am not a vendor on here, so I have no intention of pushing services or product. I do post up rigs/projects here and there I think some of you may find cool. If people think I am boasting, its not my intention. I'm always open to constructive feed back, not crap or total disrespect for no reason.

    Also a fun note. Stock truck exhaust manifolds flow plenty of air for this kind of power, PLENTY.

  9. #39
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Thanks. We are working on putting the cam kits together. The cam has less then 215 on the intake and a little more than 215 on the exhaust.... Lift is relevant to cathedral port head. LSA is very tame, between 114-116 depending on displacement.

    As far as 2600 goes thats whats in the engine. Not the exhaust, tuning, tuning software, my underwear and on and on..... I tune for a living so all my tuning equipment is very paid for. I am not a vendor on here, so I have no intention of pushing services or product. I do post up rigs/projects here and there I think some of you may find cool. If people think I am boasting, its not my intention. I'm always open to constructive feed back, not crap or total disrespect for no reason.

    Also a fun note. Stock truck exhaust manifolds flow plenty of air for this kind of power, PLENTY.
    If they flow "plenty" of air then why do these engines gain 20-30 HP from long tubes???

  10. #40
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    [sarcasm]Yes, obviously the engineers at GM are complete retards because they set back their engine development by 80 years when they abandoned the more powerful and better on fuel small block for their LS engines. Everyone else who's swapping them must be retards too.[/sarcasm]

    Sorry, but a bunch of your claims are BS. You're not taking a $2600 budget and putting together a small block and running circles around this engine below 5k rpm with a 215* duration cam. If you put together the right combo then you could approach the same power with that size of cam, but that's about it. You're probably also one of the people that claim the 90's LT1's had more torque and was faster than the LS1 too....

    Skinny Pedal showed a very potent engine you can build on a budget. I give him a big thumbs-up for that and an even bigger one once the cam info is available so others can duplicate what he did.
    Actually I am and doing it with a stock 12cc dished piston shortblock and ~9.5:1 compression ratio. The old Gen1 engines INCLUDING LT1 make more low-end and midrange grunt than stock LS engines.

    215/220 cam is more like a 218/224 with the 1.6s.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-04-2015 at 03:20 PM.

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    If they flow "plenty" of air then why do these engines gain 20-30 HP from long tubes???
    Your tune needs work, maybe? All long tube manufacturers advertise those numbers.

    Hey, buy my headers. You will also need an engine tune...... WOW 30hp after headers aaaannnnnnddddd a tune.

    Its a tuning site, we know what happens when you move the O2s further down stream with long tubes. Well, what needs to happen anyway.
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 07-04-2015 at 03:24 PM.

  12. #42
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The old Gen1 engines INCLUDING LT1 make more low-end and midrange grunt than stock LS engines.
    Yup, I knew that you'd even have to argue that one. The stock LT1 torque curve is lower than the LS1 torque curve through the whole rpm range. You are completely delusional.

    Oh wait, you're probably comparing a stock LS1 vs a built LT1....
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 07-04-2015 at 04:31 PM.

  13. #43
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Yup, I knew that you'd even have to argue that one. The stock LT1 torque curve is lower than the LS1 torque curve through the whole rpm range. You are completely delusional.

    Oh wait, you're probably comparing a stock LS1 vs a built LT1....
    You are mistaking on the LT1 vs LS thing atleast LT1 Vette vs LS1 Vette. The LT1s put down a better 60' because they make peak torque at a lower RPM.

  14. #44
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Your tune needs work, maybe? All long tube manufacturers advertise those numbers.

    Hey, buy my headers. You will also need an engine tune...... WOW 30hp after headers aaaannnnnnddddd a tune.

    Its a tuning site, we know what happens when you move the O2s further down stream with long tubes. Well, what needs to happen anyway.
    Honestly in open loop or PE not much at all happens from the o2 placement. My tune is just fine and my part-throttle air/fuel ratios are right where they should be. I have been tuning long enough I know how to fix the tune and adjust the transient delays for the 02 sensors as well as the proportional gains and durations.

    I guess I should mention I got a 6.0L with a bent crank snout and a broken compressor mounting boss cheap today for those that think I am anti-LS. It is destine for a lightweight sports car where its potential can be realized.

    I think it was funny that someone complained about my L31 using the 0411 PCM. Its alot better than the LT1 era PCM that my engine started with and it alone was responsible for a noticeable fuel economy and driveability gain over the black box. I am about to dip further into LS components and install the EFI Connection 24x kit on the old L31 and possibly drive by wire if I feel like digging that far into the harness.

    You may also notice where GM did not have the US emissions laws to contend with they kept the TBI engines well into the OBD2 era and kept the old L31 well into the GMT800 trucks. You can buy 2004 GMT Silverados in Mexico that have the 5.7 L31 from the factory. Its definately not a bad engine and certainly cheaper for GM just couldn't pass our newer emissions standards.

  15. #45
    I'm done. Circles are round and this one will keep that shape. An inevitable loop of awesomeness is sure to ensue. I think I have a better chance at hitting 200% NA VE than making headway in my own thread.

    Edit

    I have to ask. Do you have some type of impairment? It would really explain a lot and make me feel somewhat bad if you do. Its just that the way you are replying and the way you word things has me thinking something has to be up. I understand we all get fixed on some things but not to this extent.
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 07-04-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. ECM power draw...
    By mytmouz in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-25-2014, 10:40 AM
  2. LS1 Power Distribution Module
    By dave w in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM
  3. TBI power distribution block
    By mmigacz in forum Fuel Injection Writeups Articles and How to New and Old
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM
  4. A little confused on what needs power
    By joegreen in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
  5. Power coming out of my ECM grounds???
    By EagleMark in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •