Thread: LQ4 Power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Whats the cost in that? I'm less than 3k in this entire setup, including engine and dyno time.

So the point of this is for me to provide TRUE and HONEST numbers for MY cams. I'm not here to start a pissing match, which I'm sorry if I did by posting a stock LS setup....
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 07-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Whats the cost in that? I'm less than 3k in this entire setup, including engine and dyno time.

So the point of this is for me to provide TRUE and HONEST numbers for MY cams. I'm not here to start a pissing match, which I'm sorry if I did by posting a stock LS setup....
    Not trying to get into a pissing match. I think you have a great build with great HP per $$$.

I am just mentioning the old Gen1s still have a place in my eyes in a heavy truck/SUV or Van that is going to tow or haul. I think it is interesting to watch someone pull a solid 350 or even 454 out of their ride and slap in a junkard LS and spend a ton of money on the conversion. I also know good LS deals are out there. I got my ready to assemble LQ9 short block for $550 and bought a good 2002 LM7 5.3 for $100. Its going to cost at a minimum $800-1000 to put a LS engine in place of a 350 or 454 and get it running. You can realistically say your 6.0L installed in say a 1998 K1500 and running would be $4,000.

The Marine 6.3 and HT 383 are the same thing with the 3.8" stroke and the Marine 6.2 is the same engine with a 3.75" stroke. All 3 are using a 4.00" bore, vortec heads and the tiny' 395 marine cam that is 196/206 @.050.

I have built a Gen1 TPI 383 with ported vortec heads for under $3,000 as well.

I saw this testing done on a HT383 and it is a monster.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...block-tune-up/

I became an LS fan after purchasing our 2006 Yukon with a 5.3. Very smooth power delivery and excellent unloaded fuel economy. I was surprised though that when towing the economy isn't any different than my TBI truck, my dads old carbureted 350 truck, or the 454 powered 1-ton '79 GMC we just acquired.

I'm in the process of a complete resto on my '66 Nova. It had a fresh drivetrain, TBI 383 and a 4 speed, before I tore it down for paint and body work. Last year I found a great deal on a complete 5.3 with harness and computer so I bought it thinking this would be a good time for an LS conversion. Then I added up install costs - oil pan, radiator, motor mounts, headers, bell housing, flywheel, clutch, etc., etc., and decided the 383 will be just fine. The nova will see an LS someday, probably with a turbo or two...