Thread: 383 Build Discussion

Fuel Injected!

383 Build Discussion

Yall have helped me out in the past so if you don't mind me asking a few more questions to open up a discussion about a 383 that I hope to build.

So to start off I am having trouble picking a head. My efi intake is a Holley stealth ram and It has the vortec bolt pattern.
    With that being said it seems to be limiting my head choices, I was leaning towards an AFR head, but they only have one head with Vortec bolt pattern. It doesn't seem to flow as well as the others.
    So the leads me to the GM Fast burn head. It has both patterns.
    I can't decide if I should get rid of my intake and buy another with the old small block bolt pattern.

With all the "crate" 383's out there in the 430 hp range.
    My hopes are to build a engine that gets north of 450 HP with a cast crank and forged pistons. Not sure if I am limiting myself by running vortec bolt pattern heads or not.
    It sure would be nice to get in the range of 500hp and have 400 at the tire.

I have some other questions about pistons but I don't want to go there until I decide what head I am going to use.
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block
    Stock Vortec heads
    Howard's Cam (110951-08)
    Stealth Ram, Holley HP EFI
    700R4 Trans, 2200 stall & 3.73 gears

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    Yall have helped me out in the past so if you don't mind me asking a few more questions to open up a discussion about a 383 that I hope to build.

So to start off I am having trouble picking a head. My efi intake is a Holley stealth ram and It has the vortec bolt pattern.
    With that being said it seems to be limiting my head choices, I was leaning towards an AFR head, but they only have one head with Vortec bolt pattern. It doesn't seem to flow as well as the others.
    So the leads me to the GM Fast burn head. It has both patterns.
    I can't decide if I should get rid of my intake and buy another with the old small block bolt pattern.

With all the "crate" 383's out there in the 430 hp range.
    My hopes are to build a engine that gets north of 450 HP with a cast crank and forged pistons. Not sure if I am limiting myself by running vortec bolt pattern heads or not.
    It sure would be nice to get in the range of 500hp and have 400 at the tire.

I have some other questions about pistons but I don't want to go there until I decide what head I am going to use.
    Edelbrock ETec 170s have supported a near 500 hp 355 out of the box.

Fuel Injected!
    You are right I forgot about them, It was the original head I was looking at till started considering replacing my intake to shoot for heads that flow more CFM. However now I am starting to realize I may not need a head that will flow 300 cfm.
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block
    Stock Vortec heads
    Howard's Cam (110951-08)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    You are right I forgot about them, It was the original head I was looking at till started considering replacing my intake to shoot for heads that flow more CFM. However now I am starting to realize I may not need a head that will flow 300 cfm.
    I love my Etecs!!! Stock bottem end 350 Vortec in my 6,200 lbs Express took a new aluminum body Ecoboost F150 from 30-80 mph and hurt his feelings pretty bad the other morning on my way to the shop.

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, I read a few builds using them, in one article they used the 200 then the 170. The 170 made more TQ and 30 to 40 more HP.
    So I am using that article to try and convince me not to sell my intake and buy an intake that will bolt a big number flowing head.
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block
    Stock Vortec heads
    Howard's Cam (110951-08)

I've tuned an E-tec 170, Stealthram 406 in a '66 nova with a baby 219/227 @ 0.050" low lift Lunati EFI cam. It tops 450 HP and gets over 20 mpg. With a bigger cam it should be capable of close to 500 HP.

The EngineQuest (EQ) vortec heads are pretty good too.