Thread: I've read and researched alot of material, but I need a push in the right direction

Carb and Points!

I've read and researched alot of material, but I need a push in the right direction

I've been reading as much as I can, but this tuning, at least to me is quite a daunting endeavor. Anyway I have an 87 Trans Am with a 350 converted from a 700R4 to a T5 5 speed, running 24 pound Bosch 3 injectors, a mild Comp cam 08-300-8, with headers and a 3.27 rear end. This is all running on the factory Auto MEMCAL right now. I've got TunerPro RT and I've loaded the $32B Bin which is correct for my ECM, as well as the appropriate ADS and XDF file. I've read that the $6E Bin is a good one for this and also some Vette Bins. Either way, I'm lost at what to do next. I do know I need to switch from auto to manual, however I've no idea what to do with the idle speed and fuel curve for the bigger injectors. I really want to learn to do this on my own, I just need some direction. Thanks

First thing you should probably do is set your injector constants to correctly reflect your new injector sizes, then start logging BLMs.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    First thing you should probably do is set your injector constants to correctly reflect your new injector sizes, then start logging BLMs.
    That's what I'm asking. I'm not clear on how to do that, Or what numbers to enter. I know I'll have an "Ohhh" moment when I figure out how, but until then I'm kind of out in left field. I'm pretty sure I know where to make the change, again, just not sure how. I was able to get a hold of my injector parameters.
    Last edited by DarkMantle; 06-29-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    You should be able to find an injector flow rate constant and a table called something like injector offset with voltage and a time, likely in microseconds or uS. The table bottom right is the injector offset table but it's in milliseconds so multiply it by 1000 to put into the calibration in uS. The AHISL appears to be the flow in lbs/s so multiply by 3600 to get it in lbs/hr.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    You should be able to find an injector flow rate constant and a table called something like injector offset with voltage and a time, likely in microseconds or uS. The table bottom right is the injector offset table but it's in milliseconds so multiply it by 1000 to put into the calibration in uS. The AHISL appears to be the flow in lbs/s so multiply by 3600 to get it in lbs/hr.
    So I literally punch in those numbers, after the calculation? Thanks for the help

Fuel Injected!
    Yes. The injector flow rate calculates to right around 24 lb/hr and the offset is 1000+ at the lower voltages which is fairly typical.

Those injector flow rates must be burned into a chip to do any good, merely setting them in tuner pro won't change the settings currently on the chip. Of course if you already know that and have chip burning equipment, then I apologize for sticking my nose in.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Carb and Points!
    Are you referring to the table pictured? Since there are more voltage selections than my injector chart supplies, do you extrapolate to figure out what goes in the in-between numbers? At 22.4 and 24 volts of table pictured you'll notice it says 0.00 volts. Is this normal? Does the voltage even get that high in the system?
    Last edited by DarkMantle; 06-30-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    That looks like it.

Carb and Points!
    That looks like it.

I'm pretty sure I understand it now. There are a lot more voltage intervals in the actual Bin. Do you just use the closest numbers and fill in the unknown variables with a number in between? For example my chart has data for 8 and 10 volts, but the Bin has 8, 9.6, and 11.2 volts. My chart has 1.420 ms at 8 and 1.005 ms at 10. So at the 11.2 setting, do you put it somewhere between the 10 and 12 volt data from the injector chart? Sorry if I've confused things or am making a mountain out of a mole hill. I just don't want to melt my engine or blow something up.