Thread: Looking for a check engine "light"

Looking for a check engine "light"

I just bought a new set of speedhut gauges for my cherokee. I am going to be reusing the stock instrument cluster housing, but replacing the gauges. Currently I am using a unused light built into one of the stock gauges as my check engine light. Well that gauge will be replaced so I will loose that light.
    I know lots of people use those little flush or semi flush mount lights you can get at most any parts store as their check engine lights (when its for a conversion on a non FI vehicle) But I was thinking, how much cooler and cleaner it would look, if I could somehow find a warning light that actually has "check engine" on it. I will use one of the regular warning lights if I have to, but one that actually says "check engine" would be really nice. One for parking brake would also be cool (as I will also be losing that one)
    Every time I google search check engine light, all I get is endless stuff about how to fix your car and why is my check engine light on....
    Anyone know if there is such a thing out there? Or maybe possible to source something from a factory cluster from a junkyard vehicle?
    Thoughts, ideas?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    one of them gas warning lights off jd 185 would be neat if it was mounted right.

When I do something like that I just cut the windows out of a junk cluster. I haven't found any stand alone light for this.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I've seen some really crappy looking single lamps but can't find any links now. New Vintage USA has some nice light panels like this but they're pricy. I was looking at these for a custom dash but picked a Dakota Digital setup instead which has the indicators in the faces.

Those vintage usa panels are nifty, if my speedo didn't already have the turn signals and high beam led's built in, I would probably spring for one. But it does not look like they have individual lights, only panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    When I do something like that I just cut the windows out of a junk cluster. I haven't found any stand alone light for this.
    I'm thinking this may be the path I have to take. Without checking every single vehicle at the JY, do you or anyone else here know of a vehicle with a cluster that would make for a semi clean and easy removal of said windows?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    Some of the Thomas buses from the '80s or '90s had separate lights but they weren't good looking.

http://www.amazon.com/PilotLights-Pi.../dp/B00ESWDFQC
    Put the "check engine" template from a stock dash inside for a unique look.

Fuel Injected!
    yeah go to the junkyard and look around but a good place to look is probably old tractors and buses/trucks.

Fuel Injected!
    This one from painless is simple. http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/80207 (fixed link)

I am using one similar to this one (I had it lying around, not sure where mine came from).
    http://www.wiringproducts.com/red-wa...eads-1-pc.html
    Last edited by Randy 79; 07-09-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: to fix link
    2003 Chevy Suburban K2500 8.1L tow rig
    2018 Chevy Cruze LT Hatchback 1.4L T
    1975 MGB Roadster L36 3800 S2 conversion
    1979 GMC Dually, 92 Gen V TBI conversion-Sold

The painless link didn't work, but I found the light on their site. That would have worked great, if I hadn't just bought a couple regular LED indicator lights at the parts store over the weekend. Got a amber for the check engine and red for the brake. If I hadn't just paid $10 each for them, I would probably get the painless one.