Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone worked with the 16196397 yet?

Fuel Injected!
    Forgot to do the rocker arm thing today. I'll get around to it...

I did assemble the Tower Of Power today, needed to figure out what to get to make the throttle body fit where it belongs. This may be a wide flat cowl hood when I finally get it on there...

Gonna have to address this problem...

It's possible I'll need to add a little metal to the back of the base plate, but more likely I will need to add a bolt boss to the supercharger case. It's doable.

And this is why. The bypass valve pretty much straddles this screw, there's plenty open area there to flow air through but I'll have to bevel and radius the opening to make airflow smooth, to keep bypass noise down. I didn't do this on the datsun and the bypass valve is FUCKING LOUD.

I did get the intercooler core mounted, just gotta work out the tubing inside the intake manifold. May get interesting.

The Tower, minus the cylinder head I didn't need. I may bolt it up tomarrow to level things out, but for what I needed, it was just more bolts.

And this is where I want the throttle body to sit, If I can get it here then I will have absolutely no problem removing the valve cover without unbolting the supercharger. Will take a 135 or 180* 3" aluminum bend, Or I could be a cheap bastard and pie-cut it.

If I were to pie-cut it it would be hours of grinding and sanding inside the bend to get it smooth, so it may be worth it just to get an aluminum bend when I order more exhaust parts.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Am installing the added circuitry for the general purpose A/D input on the ECM right now. I am thinking instead of pin A28, which is allll the way on the other side of the ECM, why not just use C7? So that's what I did. There's nothing at all tied to C7 on any diagram I found so I just appropriated it.
    that can work, assuming there isn't connection to the pin anywhere else on the board(and damn can they get difficult to find)... I get around that by just cutting the pin off of the board entirely and soldering to the "stub" left on the connector.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    That's actually what I did, cut the pin off and soldered to the stub.

Am working on a LS1 rocker arm conversion right now, I wanna use the 1.7 ratio rockers on my intake valves to kick the lift up without increasing the duration...I can get roller-cam level valve motion with the old flat-tappet cams. Don't really think I'll go through it it though because I just don't think I need the extra cam. If I twincharge the engine later I'll kick the intake lobe up with a 1.7 rocker, but for now it just doesn't look like it'll be worth the work.
    Last edited by Xnke; 10-01-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    The shortblock is all but assembled, waiting on the cam to show up and a new crankshaft key. Once I have those two items then everything from the heads down can be assembled.

In the meantime, the bottom end is in a bag, the heads are bolted on straight through the bag in the photos below. I am checking clearances and have been working on the throttle body inlet tube.

This is the new threaded hole in the head for the power steering bracket-it's level with the old hole but moves over about 15mm.

It's not blind though, so thread sealant is required here. I will probably just bond in a stud.

The camaro alternator mount already has a blind hole in it that just needs to be drilled through, and it'll bolt up to the GenIII/IV cylinder heads. I'm lucky I had a set of GenII valve covers, because the alternator-to-valve cover clearance is TIGHT.

Really, really tight. May need some additional clearancing later when all the gaskets get fitted up. Only about 5mm there now, and I'll loose 2mm total when all the gaskets go on.

Here's the intake mocked up on the heads, I am trying to work out where I want the throttle body to sit in this photo. I've got that nailed down, but it will take some work to get the pipe snaked in the way I want. It's going to take a lot of cuts no matter what, so I chose not to cut up the 3" aluminum bend I bought for this and I'll just lobsterback it.

I am almost done with the cylinder heads, then I can bolt them down on the block with the headgaskets this time.

Fuel Injected!
    Been working out of town the last month, but have gotten a few things going the right direction now. Found a few places to buy Delphi connector parts, including the pins, back shells, and colored covers for the ECU connectors. I was thinking of using the camaro forward harness assembly I have but there is a LOT of it that would be wrong/too long/too short, so I am going to split it and make an "engine" harness, "engine bay" harness, a "transmission" harness, and a "body" harness.

The trans harness will be for the manual, but the EFI harness that it plugs into would have all the auto trans stuff populated. This way if I keep breaking T5's I can just plug in the 4l75e I have sitting in my floor. I haven't converted the bellhousing yet, I am still thinking about that.

Did the 4l60e's with removable bells ever come behind the V660? I haven't seen one yet.

Fuel Injected!
    Been pretty busy, but I decided to start on the headers today.

Passenger side first, as it's got the most crap in the way. Keep in mind these headers should have a primary length of 44", then merged into a 2.5" collector for another 10". I've only got the first 15" of tubing done here.

Tight, tight, tight on the A/C compressor, not much way around it.

Have to maintain some room from the knock sensor and the crank position sensor on that second tube...CPS is not visible here because the block is bagged.

This enormous starter motor is going away. It's almost as big as the cylinder head. Denso big block mini starter got ordered, and I will mod it if needed to fit. Standard SBC is 153 teeth on the flywheel, but straight-across starter bolts. BBC is 168 teeth, with offset bolts. V6-60 family has offset bolts in the BBC pattern, but a 148 tooth flywheel. I am hoping that I can shim/modify the new starter to work. If not, well, then I just need to build a BBC so I can use this starter.

The wire brush is laying on the two bellhousing bolt bosses, showing me where 1" off the bellhousing is. I will still be able to route pipe within 3/8", this was just a quick way to get me in the ballpark.

Since these header tubes have to be over 40" long, and the total distance they have to travel changes by 11" from front to back, packaging is going to get interesting.

Working on that last tube:

Not quite right yet...

Was kinda overly focused and a bit tired so I forgot to take the rest of the photos. Here's a few shots on my kitchen table, I wasn't going back out to the shop tonight, temperature was too low. It was 38F/3.3C in the workshop for the last few hours.

Tomorrow night I plan to start the other three cylinders, which should be much easier to do, as there is not much on that side. Just have to miss the oil pressure sending unit, and keep them tight to the block and pretty much straight down. Since the local coating shop shut down I have to figure out who I want to coat these, since they're mild steel. I could coat them myself, I've done it before, just have to get the coatings again.

Super Moderator
    if nothing else, the starter from a later 3400 application is tiny compared to the older style units.

Fuel Injected!
    Only issue is that it bolts to the wrong side of the block. The starter I bought is the same Denso starting motor as the 3400-3500 engines use, but it's a gear reduction unit and bolts up using the BBC bolt pattern, which may or may not get me close.

Super Moderator
    hmm.... I know a few projects where the other side of the block was drilled/tapped since all of the bosses were still there. I don't know if there was a cutoff for that in the casting to have at least bosses on both sides of the block?

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...arter-drilling

that comes up in a quick search.

Fuel Injected!
    As far as I can tell there are no bosses in my block for one-the outside bolt would be being drilled into a 45 degree angle, which would truly suck even with a milling machine.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi, RobertISaar
    Do you managed to find the software addresses for a4, a7, a28 pins.
    I need to log pin a7, I checked the voltage and it has 5v output. It is perfect for logging fuel gauge.
    I still has to find a way to load it in eside ram.
    I am almost done with PIN mapping and found the ram register addresses for all of the inputs and some of the outputs.

Pins left to identify are C19, C24 - these appear dead pins
    and C22 -5v
    C26 -4.52v
    I think C22 and C26 goes to TPU register and are used for freq input or some position sensor input like VSS or camshaft.

Super Moderator
    A4 should be the E-side's mux'd A/D channel 3
    A7 should be the E-side's mud'x A/D channel 2
    A28 should be the T-side's A/D channel 5

A7 already being on the e-side, you'll just have to break a small patch in somewhere, I don't believe it to be read/stored in the factory code, but it has been a while since I've looked at the non-used a/d channels.

C19 and C24, no idea, I don't have any notes about them, so I may have considered them dead ends as well.

C22 and C26 possibly being pulsed sensor inputs is possible, even likely. the last time I had one of the P66 V6 PCMs open, I did notice some discrete components missing from some of the C connector's circuits that looked like they may have been used as such, but I either didn't investigate further or didn't find anything of particular interest. since both the E-side and T-side TIC channels are already completely used, I don't know what else could have been present, unless it doesn't go to the 6811s directly... or at all?

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the help.
    I did make some experiments and here is what I found

On Tside

#0 AD 252 PIN A31 coolant
    #1 TPS AD 251
    #2 Open state ad counts $c2 which is about 4v I measured all the pins on the knock filter and all showed 0v ??3rd pin knock filter??
    #3 MAP AD DB
    #4 TRANS TEMP AD 124
    #5 PIN A28
    #6 Battery AD BA
    #7 PCS current 197

ESIDE
    $000 AD IGN VOLTAGE 185
    $100 L02 AD 144
    $200 R02 AD 155
    $300 TPS AD 24e
    $400 PIN A28
    $500 MAT AD 263
    $6xx
    $700 MAP AD 182

$600 AC PRESS 288
    $620 FUEL PUPM AD 19b
    $640 PIN A7
    $660 MUX AD 188 PIN A4
    $680 AC EVAP AD 187
    $6A0 KNOCK SENSOR AD 186
    $6C0 Coolant AD 264
    $6E0 No PINS INTERNAL CONNECTED shows $00 at open state Poss flash Vpp voltage

I got the voltage at pin a7 and my plan is to log 0-90 ohm fuel sender. Than I will use one of the PWM channels(at Pin B3 or B5) to drive a gauge.
    My current problem is that I got very low ad resolution. I got $13 ad counts at 90 ohm and $01 at 20 ohm. Do you have any idea how to get higher resolution?
    Maybe swap some of the resistors on the board.

I am almost sure that pin c22 and c26 goes to the third processor on e-side board. It is one of the big chips. What i know is that it has some build in rom. Share memory address with eside 68hc11 at around 3bb0 -3fbc. At these addresses the 2 processor exchange data. Maybe the third processor uses some of these memory region as its own ram, I can see only the references from 68hc11 in the disassembly.

Super Moderator
    your notes match most/all of mine, differences may be explained by my primary study of the 93 only unit.... I wasn't expecting much change with the 94-95 PCMs, but there does appear to be some.

with pin A7 only having a 909-ohm pullup to 5V(this may be specific to the 93 unit, you'll want to verify) and attempting to use the 0-90 ohm range of the fuel level sender as a voltage divider, range will be problematic. you'll either need a pullup with much less impedance or use a different sender, like what was used on most ~97-up applications, should have a 50-250 ohm range IIRC. not sure which is more feasible for your application. I've run stuff like this through Falstad's circuit simulator(link) to get a good idea of what to expect and to prototype to some degree.

the "3rd processor" could be one of 3 possible chips the microcontroller has its address lines connected to. the "37414" has all of the address/data lines directly connected, the 16126532 has all directly connected but A10, which is connected to I believe a logic gate(P31AB 47816). the 56597 has all data lines, but only A0-A3 connected(16 addresses), though the microcontroller's CSGEN circuit is connected to pin 48 of that chip. may be something interesting going on there. CSIO1 and CSIO2 are both connected to the 37414 chip(pins 43 and 42 respectively).

that address range is similar/identical to the "P4 timer chip" as found in slightly older PCMs, which is essentially an auxiliary input/output controller, it acts on data sent from the PCM and can return data to it as well when requested. if there were more pulsed inputs, that is certainly where they would end up.

Fuel Injected!
    Overkilled the shit out of a valve cover notch tonight. Might have to grab another valve cover next time I'm in the yard and do it over, but it's purely cosmetic at this point. The rocker arms have plenty of clearance.

This is a Gen2 valve cover-it doesn't *really* fit on the head. The two bottom valve cover bolts do not line up without cocking things all stupid, and they use a different style of bolt to hold them down. They DO clear the alternator, though.

This is the un-modified Gen3 valve cover, before I started chopping. The black cut line would make it the same height as the Gen2 cover.

Well, now it clears the alternator....I didn't realize at the time I was marking it up that I was taking a BIG chunk. Oh well, it's painted black, and I can't see it from the driver's seat.

Another gratuitous header shot-this time they're on the engine. I still haven't done much with the other side, yet.

Maybe more tomorrow.