Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone worked with the 16196397 yet?

Fuel Injected!
    I know that BKRK is the 3100 Beretta Manual Trans, and BNFM is 3.4L Camaro Automatic, but BPJH I am not sure of. Possibly 3.4L Camaro Manual.

Yes, that's what I meant about the 0.9 to 1.5v range-I was using an adjustable bench supply, but the ECU was NOT powered up.

Looking at the result you had with the simulation, I am rethinking just closing up the case. Looks like I'll have to hunt down that 1K resistor and remove it, then fit a 200K or 470K resistor (I am pretty sure I have some SMT 470K's laying around...somewhere...)

Super Moderator
    beretta manual? I have most if not all of the calibrations GM released for this whole lineup of PCMs, but there was never a manual 3100 anything released in the US.

with a .6 volt range, you would have roughly 30 a/d counts to work with. that would be pretty rough, considering that's a little worse than what a 5-bit A/D converter would produce.

if you really wanted to.... you could always lift the pin off of the board and setup your own filter/pulldown rather than attempt to hunt down the existing components. at this point, there isn't going to be a huge difference in the amount of work/risk required.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Ohhh, the things that this computer can do provided that a bigger PROM space is workable...

Digging through things, I *think* I see all the hardware needed to drive a Bosch LSU4.2 wideband O2 sensor, although it would make better sense to just interface a Bosch CJ125 Wideband Controller chip and run the new super-cool LSU4.9 sensor.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, beretta manual. I pulled it myself, was a 1994 Beretta, manual transmission, 6397 computer. Had 3100SFI across the upper intake manifold, as far as I can tell it was "stock" but it could have been a swap.

I'll just lift the pin and put a proper interface on it, 10K isolation with a 470K pulldown resistor, if I can't hunt down the 1K pulldown that's in there. Lifting the pin would likely be easier...

I'm almost done with the intake port work, the exhausts won't need hardly anything. After that, the heads/intake/accessories get bolted up and the accessory drive gets finished...I am gonna need an idler for the power steering bracket, belt wrap over the supercharger is less than ideal and belt wrap around the power steering pump is laughable without an added idler.

Fuel Injected!
    I am just now realizing that while I have a good handle on the 3.4L camaro harness wiring, I know next to nothing about how my pickup is wired...or what the dash sensors need to see.

Anyone got some thoughts on which parts of the truck harness absolutely have to stay? I'm gonna be un-looming the whole engine bay harness, removing the engine control wiring, leaving the alternator/starter wiring in place, and the dash gauge wiring will stay in place. I have NO IDEA where most of that wiring is at yet-basically I'll strip the whole forward assembly down to the frame, removing everything from the firewall forward, pressure-washing the frame and scrubbing it clean, then I'll start un-wiring the engine harness from the body.

I'd like to use the original dash wiring if I can-but there really can't be that much wiring in this old truck. The dash wiring in my Datto wasn't bad at all...

Super Moderator
    i can pull some of that kind of info, what year/original engine/etc?

Fuel Injected!
    1991/1993 GMC Sonoma/Chevy S10. Originally had 4-cylinder engine, now has 2.8L V6. The conversion was done way before my time with the truck, but I have the paperwork where the V6 was purchased and the records from when the previous fleet mechanic did the change. The complete wiring harness and dash was swapped, so it SHOULD be a 1993 V6 and 8062 computer. Other than that, I have no concrete evidence of what year/model. Until a few years ago there was no legal requirement in my state-but there is now.

If so, I am worried that the computer, DRAC, and half of the associated wiring is under the dash-although there is a computer-shaped box mounted underhood in a black plastic holder, bolted to the brake master cylinder. Mostly, I don't know what I have to keep, and what can go. I know the speedo could need 2000PPM or 4000PPM, but I think it takes 2000PPM, the truck doesn't have cruise control, it does have a VSS mounted in the tailshaft of the T-5 transmission. It does not have antilock brakes, not even on the rear-only, that I can find.

I *intend* to pull the S10 wiring diagram and the Camaro wiring diagram (I already have the forward lamp harness connector worked out) and remove only the wires essential to the operation of the old ECU, and splice in the needed power and grounds into the Camaro harness. I DON'T want to get into the truck harness any further than needed, and I don't want to leave behind any old engine control wiring.

So, looks like I need to know where to tap into the Speedometer Input, work out how I'm gonna do ECM fuses as the camaro had a few more than the truck does, cooling fan relays and fuses, and the air conditioning setup-I am not opposed to letting the camaro computer work out the A/C idle-up and such. I will need to locate the fuel pump relay trigger wire, the starter-engaged signal, the VSS wiring from the transmission, Orange (I think constant power?) Pink (I belive is switched power?) and see if the alternator wiring needs computer hookup-I would prefer it didn't, because that means not messing with the perfectly functional charging system.

To summarize, I do not know what I do not know, and I do not know what I do know...

Super Moderator
    ugh..... at least it sounds like it was a competently done swap, not some twist-n-tape hack job that is going to require a lot of effort to undo.

I have alldata access, but I'm not sure what kind of information to pull that would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post

If so, I am worried that the computer, DRAC, and half of the associated wiring is under the dash-although there is a computer-shaped box mounted underhood in a black plastic holder, bolted to the brake master cylinder.
    this is an early form of rear anti lock commonly found on 93 and up models. you should also have a second block after your proportioning valve with a couple wires going to it. if you have a VSS than more than likely you have the most of the 93 components in the dash.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    Excellent, so the truck DOES have antilock brakes...there's a shitload of wires going into that black box.

I am hoping that I have a DRAC under the dash that's on the fritz, as my speedometer drops out, flings around, pegs at 80+ when you're doing thirty, etc on a regular basis.

Super Moderator
    the speedo on the ranger I beat around in does that, but I assumed it was normal for all worn cable-driven setups. I could be wrong, but I want to say that in 89 or so, all S/T trucks went to speed sensors rather than cables?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    the speedo on the ranger I beat around in does that, but I assumed it was normal for all worn cable-driven setups. I could be wrong, but I want to say that in 89 or so, all S/T trucks went to speed sensors rather than cables?
    I think it varied for a couple years based on MT or AT. I know my buddies 89 was cable driven with a sensor in the instrument cluster for the speed signal.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    My 93 has a VSS in the tailshaft housing, no cable. If it was cable drive, a new cable would fix it, it normally means the cable is broken in the housing and the broken ends are catching and turning the speedo-not uncommon. When the ends slip apart, the speedo stops.

Supposedly the changeover happened in 88, when the Tachometer went away. I'd love to get a pre-88 cluster, transplant the electronic speedometer, and have a functional tachometer on the dash...

Fuel Injected!
    Picked up some 0280155811 injectors this week, 36lb Bosch injectors from an L67 3800 supercharged. Also got a 58psi fuel regulator and rail from a 3400, so I should have plenty of fuel now. Also got some more aluminum stock to make the upper intake, throttle body flange, and the idler pulley bracket.

The injectors are supposedly the same ones in the Corvette ASA tune, so hopefully getting the injector settings correct won't be difficult.

Super Moderator
    you could grab the injector offsets from a L67 calibration as well. I've done that before for some swaps, it does take some math to translate between the two though, especially with the ridiculous injector offset resolution of this PCM.