Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Anyone worked with the 16196397 yet?

Fuel Injected!
    Had any time to look at this, Robert?

Fuel Injected!
    So this is the information Mark sent back to me about the bad data issues:

During the bad data, the ECM is sending the F0, F4, and E4 module data, when you’re only requesting the F4 module communication. I’m thinking the issue is that the other modules aren’t being silenced. I don’t know enough about the LT1 ECMs to know why this might be happening, though. Perhaps it just comes down to adding silence commands to the connection macro.

Example of what I’m seeing in the logs:

DataAcq Write

0000: F4 57 01 00 B4 .W...

DataAcq Read

0000: E4 0A 58 00 03 ..X..

Looking for packet...

DataAcq Read

0000: DA C1 F4 57 01 00 B4 F4 95 01 16 16 60 24 00 02 ...W........`$..

0010: BF FF 00 D8 00 80 80 00 00 F5 C2 00 0C 7A 7B 00 .............z{.

0020: 00 3C 0D 90 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 40 44 00 .<...........@D.

0030: 20 00 03 00 00 21 20 30 02 00 5E 02 00 00 00 00 ....! 0..^.....

0040: 00 00 00 ...

52.448: Command/Reply Success

END MACRO: ECM Mode 1 Message 0 Reply

BEGIN MACRO: ECM Mode 1 Message 0 Macro

DataAcq Write

0000: F4 57 01 00 B4 .W...

DataAcq Read

0000: F0 56 E4 D6 0A

In the big read in this example, you can see the tail end of a previous packet, followed by the F4 57 01 00 B4 echo, followed by the (highlighted) start of the F4 module’s message 1 reply, then the packet.

You might be able to align on the reply’s static header data (F4 95 01).

-Mark

Anyone got any ideas how I can implement some of Mark's suggestions?

Super Moderator
    that's.... odd. the ADX should already have a few pauses and mode 8 commands being sent as part of the initial connection process specifically to prevent this issue.

the way I setup the initial connection was to send the mode 8 command to the T side 5 times, wait 50mS, send the packet that grabs the VIN 5 times, wait another 50mS, send the mode 8 request 5 times again to the T side, wait another 50mS and then start the mode 1, message x requests to get the stream going.

it almost looks like both E side and T side are trying to communicate one after another?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    That log is from your E-side ADX, I haven't looked into the command macro structure yet.

Been working on finishing up the paint work and A/C hoses, once that is done it's basically just down to making it run. Only missing part (completely missing) is the air-to-water I/C, all the parts are made save the hoses and actually fitting the tank, pump, and heat exchanger, but all that will wait till it runs, 'cuz I gotta work out a method to cycle the intercooler pump based on IAT. (I think I can hack the current OE code to do that, based on EGR stuff.)

Super Moderator
    if you wanted to save an output on the ECM, you could hook up a Schmitt Trigger(or a small microcontroller if you didn't want to go analog) to the IAT circuit. for something that likely wouldn't need the IAC to move around due to increased electrical draw(or maybe it would? I'm not sure how much amperage your pump would require), and probably wouldn't need any other qualifying values, it almost seems a waste.

Fuel Injected!
    Well, right now I can set up the EGR output to trigger on coolant temp, so I figure I can just go to that section of the code, and substitute the IAT variable for the coolant temp variable-but I need to be sure that I *only* catch the EGR functions with that mod. That way, the EGR output trips a relay coil, which then handles the intercooler pump. Basically I'd just have EGR active at idle to redline, but only when temperature is over X value-this would allow me to tweak not only when to run the pump but I could have it specifically not run the pump during periods like idle warmup.

All of that is moot until we can get it to read the 2-bar sensor properly. I still don't have any idea what I'm doing with this, the patch attempt I made bricked an ECM so clearly I did something pretty far off the trail...

Super Moderator
    does your ALDL setup have indicators on it that light up when comms are happening? I think I'm going to have to throw more mode 8 commands into the initialization scheme and specifically shut up both E and T side before attempting to communicate with either. it's strange, for whatever reason the calibrations I run in the same PCM don't exhibit the same behavior, when I send mode 8 commands to it, it quits talking for the 2 or so second timeout that a mode 8 with nothing after it should cause.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, I have indicator LED's on both the RX and TX lines. I'm not the only person with this issue with the P66 stuff either, there are at least 2 others on Tunerpro's forums-however when I PM'd one guy about it he was having the issues with P66 and 7165, so maybe he has a different issue-He fixed it by removing and re-installing a slightly older version Tunerpro, however that did not work for me. I think that the ghost-in-the-com-driver error *probably* isn't the issue with this now that Mark's pointed out the multiple replies to the data requests.

I will get more data for you this evening-I'll go out to the shop and play with the connection and try to video the comm lights so you can see what kind of data activity is happening with specific commands (I'll key on, and you can watch the DIC data, then mode 8 command, then mode 1 communication requests, etc)

Fuel Injected!
    Here's a video of the TX/RX LED's, hope this helps. The LED's are superbrites because that's all I had...and they're so bright they mess with the camera. They seem to be pretty well seperated and if you need more info, just ask.

https://youtu.be/qwc5YBlfo6s

Super Moderator
    finally had a chance to watch this.

most of that, I was expecting, but there should have been a good period of silence after the mode 8 commands.... like the amount of time that it quit communicating after the mode 1 requests, that's what I would expect from a mode 8. the fact that it never quit is odd, to say the least.

I did just have a really dumb thought though. assuming you don't have anything integrated like a 94-95 Grand Prix Driver Information Center, there's really no reason to have the PCM chattering so much... could clear the ALDL message scheduling tables, then it should never attempt to send data until prompted. not the greatest fix, but it may be enough to at least get the boost patch troubleshooting done. I don't have those tables listed in the XDF at the moment, but they're already documented on both E and T side IIRC.

Fuel Injected!
    That would be helpful-I had thought about integrating the trip computer at some point but that isn't really a priority. Antus and Charlay86 on PCM Hacking are taking a stab at it too. They are thinking that the pcm may be taking the 3x input and defaulting the Baro/map stuff due to an error. Also, in Charley's experience the map code mods can't have a jump splitting them up or he had the same problem.

I am collecting all my info and your info and wiring info for these and getting it all to them to see if we can all work together and get this cracked. I dug into the code with my local buddy, and that cylinder count thing LOOKS like it may be all you need to change to 4-cylinder mode!

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, so today I turned off the E-side ALDL scheduling, and the E-side communications were MUCH improved. Totally usable, except that a lot of data no longer worked...so I will have to be selective with what I turn off. Just need to work out what the DIC stream location is, and turn that one off-it may be done via process of elimination.

Odd thing is that I did not turn off the T-side scheduling, but the DIC chatter was stopped completely-so the DIC info is coming from the E-side???

Fuel Injected!
    Here are the datalogs and details from today's work on things.

First off-shutting off everything in the ALDL scheduling table (at least the one we've found so far and implemented in the XDF) does NOT stop all the chatter. Something else (probably something on the T-side table) is still chattering away.

The E-side ADX does not get all the data once we start turning stuff off on the ALDL scheduling table. The important bits still seem to work, but RPM & TPS for example are not being received. Notice the Baro and MAP values...I think the patch is screwed up again. (had a bit where the patches would only partially apply, which is superweird.)

The T-side ADX (normal ADX) is still receiving all the data we want to see-and it is stable, good data now. I did have 6 data errors, but they were well defined short-duration events and the data stream recovered properly. I actually started and ran the engine with the 1-bar code, and have a decent length datalog. I didn't try with the 2-bar code, as the engine does not run with it so it's me flailing at the accelerator pedal to sustain a running engine, and the above E-side ADX showed issues with the baro updates and map updates.

I will be adding the Wideband O2 internal modification to the PCM in the truck this evening. Hopefully I can figure out the patch format to add the patch to the XDF and get it to apply correctly, as this greatly simplifies the checksumming process.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, so I have written the wideband O2 code for the E-side and added the input to the PCM. How do I get the code I wrote into the "patch" function on the XDF? Is there any documentation on this anywhere?

Fuel Injected!
    In tuner pro, select 'Insert New XDF parameter' -> Patch.
    Then in the opened window you can add multiple patch entries. You should add one for every 'continuous' change in binary.

Example:
    You want to change the binary in two places:
    1. starting at address 0x00FF from: 00 2D 6F 00 2B 11 to 30 85 F2 AA 20 00
    2. starting at address 0x01A2 from: FF FF to A1 00

Then you should add two patch entries:
    Start address: 00FF
    Patch data: 30 85 F2 AA 20 00
    Base data: 00 2D 6F 00 2B 11

Start address: 01A2
    Patch data: A1 00
    Base data: FF FF

And that's all.

You do not have to give "base data" but if you add it, it's possible to remove the patch.