Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone worked with the 16196397 yet?

Fuel Injected!
    I have an 84 S-10, iron duke and TBI that I drive every day-but I don't know if it's an 8062 or a 7165. With the dash in the shape it's in, I'd just have to try connecting with each set of files and see what came up. Too much risk in the whole dash just collapsing if I were to start pulling it apart to get at the ECM.

I do have the 8062 and leftover harness bits from the truck, too. I can't really twiddle inputs too much with it, so I can't simulate a running engine. However, I could probably connect to it.
    Last edited by Xnke; 01-29-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Super Moderator
    I was hoping you had one of the 8192 baud units that were dead-simple to establish good communications with.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I used to get 9-11hz data rates, but that was with the FTDI adaptor that quit working.

I am going to download the ADX again and ditch the one I've been using, maybe I screwed it up somehow.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok. Back from a short vacation, and I replaced the ADX I had been using with a fresh copy from your Dropbox, Robert.

This is a datalog of the new data errors. I have an inclination to suspect perhaps the battery in the truck isn't very good now-as after two cranks and a short run, the battery was down far enough to not allow it to crank again. I've got it on charge now, however in the past it hasn't made any difference to the datastream.

data rates tend to be 4-6hz, however some of that may be due to adaptor settings. I am going to play with those settings to see what I can get while the battery charges.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    SUCCESS!

Well, partially. IF I unplug the TPS from the wiring harness, I get perfectly clean data. If I plug it in, I get bad data, regardless of BIN file, patches, no patches, bad configurations, good configurations-It all comes down to the TPS.

I think I have a spare one, but even at that they're cheap to replace. I'll report back with data logs shortly.

EDIT:

Using the factory 94 manual F-body bin file, with VATS disabled as the only modification, the engine gives clean data with the TPS unplugged. When I patch the bin, it only gives clean data while off, or cranking-once the engine runs on its own it freaks out again.

I'm going to go through the wiring harness again, hunting for +5V sensor line issuses or sensor grounding issues next.
    Last edited by Xnke; 02-09-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Well, now I've got zero luck in Tunerpro. No data is good, it all is jumpy, ridiculous values, just junk. I've tried using the old ADX I started with, and a new, unmodified, unedited virgin copy of the ADX from Robert, and the results are the same.

Gonna have to get that fixed, but I've ruled out a few things. It's GOT to be Tunerpro-as I get clean, no-problem datalogs with Scan94/95. Clean enough to let me tune the stock BIN to let the engine idle and rev cleanly.

Loading a no-vats stock BIN for the 94 manual F-body allows the engine to run, idle, and rev cleanly-with the 2 bar sensor installed on 1 bar code, and the 17.50lb/hr injector setting. I do not have to help it along at all, anymore-just a bit of screwdriver tuning to open the throttle slightly more than stock allows the idle control to cleanly control the idle at 800, 1000, 1200, or 1600RPM. I am seeing the camshaft signal loss error occasionally, but I don't know if it's really a problem yet or not. Spark advance is cleanly and accurately calculated and displayed, and matches the timing light perfectly.

Using Scan94/95, as I said, no datalog errors, all datapoints (including TPS when it's hooked up!), are smooth, clean, and reasonable data. Tunerpro, using the same BIN file, just displays garbage. When I unplugged the TPS, it worked two or three times, but then it went right back to garbage data.

Now, encouraged by this I patched the no-vats bin with the Boost patch, and set the injector size to 36lb/hr. Engine runs very rough, very over-rich (sub-9's) and Scan94/95 still displays decent data-but the MAP and Baro signals are static at 98kpa. They never move, never change. I have to pump the throttle to keep the engine running, or it chokes out, but the MAP data never moves.

In Tunerpro, I just get the wild data, nothing at all makes sense.

I multiplied Idle VE by 85% to try and pull fuel, and it did pull some-so I pulled the same from the Main VE table, and it helped more-but still 9s and 10s for AFR. Still no MAP data in Scan94/95, but everything else is working.

Any ideas?

Fuel Injected!
    Ok. Still having good luck in Scan94/95 as far as data, but tunerpro is only very slightly better. Here's a look at what normally happens, as well as the one in a million shot of it *actually* working-I was suprised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=2k2wm2K4mc0

Fuel Injected!
    Spent several hours today working on this. Got logs and ADX/XDF/BIN/XDL off to Mark Mansur to see if it's a bug or a feature.

All day today, perfectly clean logs on first connection, but after a few connections and key-on-key-off cycles, the random data comes back. It's good enough to work around the random data, at this point.

A much more significant issue is that with the 2-bar patch in place, the MAP sensor no longer updates. It remains at the value that it starts at with the key-on, engine-off state right before cranking. Disconnecting the MAP sensor connector and substituting a potentiometer allows me to set any value of MAP I like, but it doesn't update until the engine cranks, then once the engine is cranked and starts the value never updates again until the engine stalls out. I have not modified the baro updates in this particular bin yet, but it looks like the ECM grabs a baro update on cranking and then never updates again until the engine stalls out.

Pretty much all the other data is fine-even the random error codes and DTC's don't set anymore. That's even more worrying as I have done nothing to fix them...they just fixed themselves. Meaning they can come back at any time and I STILL don't know what causes them...argh!

At this point, I can sub in a 1 bar sensor and drive the truck pretty nicely, and the 1 bar sensor and 1 bar code works exactly as you would expect it to. Not sure if it's an ADX issue or a code patch issue, so in the morning I will patch another stock bin, modify the bin for 2 bar sensor and no vats, and see if the patch function mangled the bin again-however the patch function claims this one is still good, unlike the past issue where it was pretty clear when it failed to patch.

More data in a few hours.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok Robert-Definitely some bugs to work out. The 2-bar patch just doesn't work. Somewhere, some how, the MAP sensor isn't updating while the engine runs-basically MAP is being treated like Baro, I guess? The reported values are correct-they just don't update once the engine is past the cranking phase.

I've swapped the sensor for a 1 bar, unpatched the code, and the Revision 3.01 patch seems to work fine. The truck runs and drives pretty good with a 1-bar sensor, as long as I keep it out of boost.

Super Moderator
    well, I've got the day off work, I guess I can try to dig into a reasoning for this tonight.

Super Moderator
    looks like I get to fix a bug or two that I was going to ignore and suggest workarounds for along the way, but I'm probably going to throw out a patch specifically for monitoring E-side only(normally, only comms with the T-side are performed) with a modified datastream to see just what's going on with the values that I'm using/generating to see if I somehow did grab the baro value instead of raw MAP.

so, the next XDF that comes up will likely have most of the boost patch removed and have just the E-side comms changes(along with an ADX that communicates with E-side) and maybe a fixed issue of choosing the boost patch while at the same time using a 1BAR sensor(though that scenario seems like it would only really exist for troubleshooting or for the really unlikely: as a limp-home measure should your 2/3BAR sensor fail somewhere, you have a 1BAR with you(or purchase one) and just happen to have a laptop and ALDL cable handy).

Fuel Injected!
    I figured it had something to do with Baro-but the dissassemblies I tried to make of the standard bin and patched bin haven't gotten me anywere-they don't yet reassemble to the same binary yet. Figured I couldn't hurt things by getting into it, but I can't help things yet either...

Yeah, I carry extra sensors but *generally* most people don't do that. Do you want a remote login session sometime to see exactly what's going on with this? I've pretty much gotten the Tunerpro data crazyness to stop completely, so it's not too hard to get an accurate log anymore. Any data that can be helpful, you lemme know what you want to see.

Also, the offer of a socketed PCM stands-you want one I'll send one to you. I have new flash chips for 'em too, as the ones I pulled off the boards seemed to not want to write properly.

Fuel Injected!
    Are there any successes in this on going saga? Inquiring minds want to know.

Fuel Injected!
    Not yet. Been waiting on revised code, but things are going forward in other areas. I've picked up some nice bucket seats and a console, and a pair of doors so I can get them prepped and painted-I have to go pick them up tomarrow.

Super Moderator
    haven't been able to look at this continually for more than about 5 minutes at a time before something else distracted me, but I believe I've found at least one significant reason why the issue of not updating MAP after baro updates stop occurs. I don't know why I decided to make code jumps where I did, but I have to scrap a good portion of the boost code that I had written.