Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone worked with the 16196397 yet?

Fuel Injected!
    I dig deep into the board of 98 pcm and found it has 243 ohm resistor, vs 909 ohm on the 94 board. They are of similar size and likely 0.75w. Everthing else is aranged identical with 10k isolation.
    The 98 pcm uses the newer style sender with 50-250 ohm sender, and with that resistor it goes upto to 2.5v. I will have to live up with 0-90 ohm, the low resolution and do some interpolation.
    Also test the pwm channel at pin b5 with mode 4 command. It will work perfect for my application.
    The output register of pin b5 is located at word_106c on eside. I wonder about the first byte of the pwm register, the second is the duty cycle, so I guess the first will be frequency. Any ideas how to manipulate it and what are the limits.
    When I am done with this will test some 64kb chips. Pin a15 on the t flash chips is grounded. Is the corresponding pin on the processor connected to something or is left open? First I will test with pin left open. Than if it doesn`t work I will try to destroy the board with some solder work.

Xnke, You have great fabriaction skills. That headers look so sweet. How much is the estimate for the power output?

Super Moderator
    with a 243 ohm resistor and a 0-90 sender, you would have a ~1.35 volt range.... you could almost repurpose the op-amp that is used to amplify the O2 sensor signal, they're setup to operate as voltage multipliers of 4.5. a 330 ohm pullup resistor and O2 amp(or equivalent) would bring you to a ~4.8 volt range while retaining the 0-90 ohm sender.

I'm not sure what the first byte of those registers will do, the ones that are taken care of via the P6 timer chip use the first byte for frequency(selectable between the classic 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128Hz used with the P4), but that address range isn't taken care of by the P6 timer AFAIK. I'm sure it's frequency but I'm not certain of how it is controlled yet. manipulating it may require playing a bit with the code, I only see 1 place in the code where the first byte is written for most compared to just the LSB being updated in most instances.

the 6811's A15 runs to a few different places, I'm not sure where the best place to latch into it would be though. you'll also then have to somehow arbitrate between the various chips that would respond to reads/writes at whatever address. I'm not sure if just avoiding placing code/calibration in those areas will be sufficient.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I figure between 280 and 310HP, all told.

Just cleaned the screen on my welding coolant pump and it started leaking on me...grrrrr!

Fuel Injected!
    So I've spent a little time on this and gotten to this stage of the game:

A few more bits of tubing bent and a couple of welds will have the intake manifold completely finished, and then it's time to finish up the exhaust manifolds.

Once the exhaust is done, it'll be on to finishing up the belt drive.

Fuel Injected!
    So the wiring harness isn't so bad. I've only had to lengthen a few wires, most of them have been too long actually. I am making plans to fit the 4L60e auto trans later when the manual blows up, the wiring harness already supports it and so does the ECU, so why not? If I didn't have to use the truck regularly for a while I'd convert it to automatic right from the start-but I do use it and thus being able to tune the engine and transmission independently (even when the stock factory auto tune is still in the computer) is a bonus.

Have to add a switched power circuit and a power ground, already have the two sensor grounds and two sensor signals for the O2 sensors. They'll be along the trans wiring harness, as the exhaust runs down that side of the car already. The VSS sensor is also in that section, but someone got to it with snips before I pulled the harness. I have another connector, but I have no idea how much of the wiring was cut out with it, so I'll probably have to add some back once it's in the truck.

Getting down to it, It is starting to feel like I would have a far easier time of things if I just added an "engine" fuse/relay block to source all the switched power from. The truck harness has three fused circuits for the ECU, but the camaro harness has five, plus the one I add for the heated O2 sensors, plus the automatic transmission uses two fuses that aren't in the manual harness, apparently. Total fused circuits is now up to 9, and while some things (like injector power circuits, they're split) I am ok running from a single fuse, other things (like the torque converter clutch solenoid) I'd prefer to have their own fused circuit.

The interior connectors haven't been too terrible so far-Only one of them is a power circuit, the starter line is superfluous so no worries there, the automatic gear select wiring is nicely seperated out from the dash harness in the Camaro so I just ordered the section of harness from ebay for that, along with the gear selector from a 1994 Oldsmobile Bravada (console shifter in those) and now I'm hunting a console from a Blazer or Bravada, and some seats and seat brackets from the Bravada or Blazer.

Scope Of Work is creeping up now...I need to hurry up and get this engine in before it gets away from me!

Fuel Injected!
    Got the two intercooler water lines fixed up, just gotta high-pressure leak test and then scrub-scrub-scrub the manifold. I'll have the blower reassembled and lubed this week and the wiring harness should be finished up this coming weekend.

Getting close now!

Fuel Injected!
    Kind of irritated with myself now-If you look close you'll see I've got a coolant temp sensor plugged into the back of the cylinder head in the wiring shot above.

Except it's got a pink and a black wire routed to it.

It's the Ignition power plug, not the coolant temp sensor.

Gonna have to fix that....just not gonna run that way...

Fuel Injected!
    Planning to sort the rest of the wiring issues today, and get the engine bay harness started. May do the fuel tank today too, while it's mostly empty.

Fuel Injected!
    Fuel pump installed (Factory Syclone pump, AC Delco EP381...should do me fine) and now I've got plans to install a second tank in the S10-Blazer position and run dual tanks...will do that later.

Engine is now fully assembled oil pan to supercharger. Belt drive is in place and belt tensioner works properly, need to shim the supercharger pulley out 1/8". Need to drill for brake booster and PCV fittings behind the throttle plate, and breather fitting to airbox.

Water reservoir has been fabricated and the water pump for the intercooler is fitted to the truck, the heat exchanger is still being fettled before being bolted on and plumbed up. Oil cooler and oil filter remote mount are still waiting to be mounted.

Air conditioning system isn't quite worked out electrically yet, without having the evaporator temperature sensor, will the 4737 PCM balk about the air conditioning being manually on/off? I'd like the idle-up and timing adjustments that the computer does with the A/C, but don't want to go hunt down another evap temp sensor and install it. (though if I need to I can.)

Super Moderator
    there may be a switch in the code to use F-body vs non f-body style a/c controls... I'm not 100% on that, but it would make sense seeing how they were the only platform to use the evaporator temp sensor.

Fuel Injected!
    You wouldn't happen to know how the non-F-body A/C worked, do you? This is the last bit of wiring to do before looming the engine harness...the transmission harness loom has to wait until the headers are done and the O2 sensors are in place. (Planning to do those this weekend!)

Once the headers are finished, next on the list of crap that has to be done is oil cooler lines, but that kinda has to wait until it's in the truck. Followed closely by water lines for the intercooler, and then A/C lines get made.

The only things stopping the engine install *right* now are headers, oil lines, and the underdash wiring-of which there won't be very much!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know how the non-F-body A/C worked, do you? This is the last bit of wiring to do before looming the engine harness...the transmission harness loom has to wait until the headers are done and the O2 sensors are in place. (Planning to do those this weekend!)
    dead simple, really. it's just the f-body style a/c system without the evaporator temp sensor(or the PCM doing any of the diagnostics it is used for). w-bodies used dual fans, other platforms used singles.

Fuel Injected!
    Hmmmm. For now I'll be running the mechanical fan-so no electric fans yet. The electric fans come later, one step at a time. (electric fans and I have a war going on right now...)

I'm starting the battery relocation tonight, hoping to do a nice long distance road test with the new battery tomarrow. Headed to the parts yard, to get a fuel sending unit for a gen1 Blazer and hopefully an un-holified gas tank for the same. Gonna dual-tank the truck, I want more driving range for some areas around here-you don't find good quality fuel in a lot of places around here, corvettes, racetracks, and all.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Hmmmm. For now I'll be running the mechanical fan-so no electric fans yet. The electric fans come later, one step at a time. (electric fans and I have a war going on right now...)
    mechanical fan would work, should probably adjust out the IAC adders for the fan(s) though, otherwise you'll have a temporary idle surge when the PCM wants to kick a fan or two on. should be a 2D table for IAC steps vs A/C PSI which would still be relevant to you.

Fuel Injected!
    I'll have to make a note of that. I'll have to figure out what to do about the A/C pressure sensor though, I don't think the S10 has the same kind of pressure switch. I do belive I have one though, in the stack of parts!