Thread: Learning a new ECU and tuning software

Fuel Injected!

Learning a new ECU and tuning software

Hi, I am Jacob Thomas.

I Mostly currently build/install/program the Megasquirt line of computers, and have been doing that for several years. They work VERY well for me, and I have never run into a requirement they could not meet.

However, I am working on my old beater truck, with a budget of absolutely as little as possible. So, I am looking into the Delco PCMs, specifically the 94-95 OBD1.5 PCM. I already have two of them, plus four or five complete engine harnesses...and I am assembling a 3.4L hybrid to go into my 93 S-10 pickup.

Basically, I have a 3.4L bottom end, fitted with 3400 pistons and the Camaro headgaskets. I will have to trim the pistons a smidge to get the piston-to-head clearance that I want, and this will net me a compression ratio about 9.5:1-I will know the exact numbers when I have gotten the pistons trimmed down.

I have a manual transmission truck, so I have a 3100 V6 PCM marked 16196397, and I have a 3.4L PCM marked 16184737 that I got with the 3.4L engine harness. The majority of the parts for this truck have been free/trade for scrap metal/bought with scrap metal money, as I have tried to make it a "net zero" truck.

Little history on it...I worked for a security/electronics company for 10 years, and before that I worked with the company since I was 10. I remember with the truck was bought, and know the complete service history, so when the truck was sold for scrap metal by the new owners of the company, I bought it and fixed the problems that sent it to the scrap yard for 400$. It had 190K miles, and the power steering pump went leaky, then the fuel pump quit.

A fuel pump and power steering pump later, and it's been on the road a year with me. Last winter, the 2.8L started making some tappy-tappy noises, lifter noise. It hasn't gotten better, and so I started collecting 660 bits and pieces. One of the moderators here is a member of one of the other forums I am a member of, and helped me with some information.

Despite being told the computers I have aren't tunable, I've found resources through here and Google to get Tunerpro working with these PCM's. I DON'T really know what I'm looking at in the tuning programs, as the terminology is a lot different but being as this engine is a fairly common version of the hybrid 660, hopefully I can the get requisite values tweaked to provide "just drive it" level performance.

...and then I might have to fit a blower on it. Like every other vehicle I own...
    Last edited by Xnke; 06-25-2015 at 12:44 AM.