Thread: Freshly built 5.7 TBI and new to tuning, need assistance please

Carb and Points!

Freshly built 5.7 TBI and new to tuning, need assistance please

I have just dropped a 5.7 SBC into an 89 S10 Blazer. It has a Summit Stage 1 intake (No EGR), TBI adapter plate, Holley 502-6 TBI unit (with AFR and I believe 65# injectors), running at 11.5 psi, th400 trans, 4 wheel drive, 4.88 gears, using a 7747 ecu, and using TunerPro RT. The bin file that I have was supposed to be for a stock 5.7 w/ speed. Attached is the bin file, definition files, and a datalog of a minute or so running at idle. I have only drove it through my yard as it seems to be really hesitant. I figured since the Holley unit was suppose to be a bolt on unit for the most part that I would be in the ballpark when I started with the bin file. When i did the data log it was only at 160 baud, but there were a few items that appeared red, but Im not sure what to look at or how to calculate what changes that need to be made. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated, if more information is needed let me know and I will get it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I helped a guy on here a few months ago with one of those brand new Holley replacement throttle bodies. His was supposed to have 60 pph injectors, but Holley shipped it with 50's. You might want to double-check.

Carb and Points!
    I checked the injectors, yellow top with # 250R-100AA. From what I have found that would make it a 65# injector.

Fuel Injected!
    I would down load the latest adx an xdl file from this sight and apply the bpw patch in the parable tree, it will give you a little more info while data logging.

Carb and Points!
    I didn't realize there were newer versions, thanks. I downloaded a version 5 of each. What exactly does the bpw patch do?

I would get rid of that Holley TBI and put a stock one on. The Holley TBIs seem to be nothing but problematic for anyone that has used one. They use the shitty Chrysler style injectors that either fail prematurely or don't work well with GM EFI, or both.

The hesitation is likely due to incorrect base timing and/or incorrect AE settings. A change in injector usually requires adjustments to AE, even if they are the same size injectors, due to different opening rates between each type.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    I might look into the possibility of swapping the injector pod to the GM pod if I end up having a lot of issues. I would like to keep the 2" bores. I did look into the AE tables. I didnt know what they were, but done some reading and ended up doubling my AE-map values. It made a world of difference. I know I will need to do some fine tuning but it doesn't stall when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor now when in gear. I will try to post a new log file soon.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by btgarst View Post
    I might look into the possibility of swapping the injector pod to the GM pod if I end up having a lot of issues. I would like to keep the 2" bores. I did look into the AE tables. I didnt know what they were, but done some reading and ended up doubling my AE-map values. It made a world of difference. I know I will need to do some fine tuning but it doesn't stall when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor now when in gear. I will try to post a new log file soon.
    MAP sensor attached to the rear port of the TBI will cause a poor cold idle, surging and an off-idle hesitation.

Carb and Points!
    I made that mistake in the very beginning of this project. I have it connected to the front passenger port on the tbi.

Fuel Injected!
    Does changing the connection point of the MAP sensor just apply to the Holley TBI unit?