Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial vs usb

Serial vs usb

Why is there two styles of obd reader cords? Is it only for the ones that don't have the usb ports so they use the serial ports? Are the usb for use with computers without serial ports? Is there a difference in the capability of one over the other? I figured out what I did wrong with mine, I'm really embarrassed about it but I ordered the obd1 cord with the bare wires on the end, and I don't know what I was thinking but I had the wired taped into the serial port. Yea I know I'm a dumbas, but I guess I know now why I wasn't getting anything from the vehicles. In hind sight I guess I'm glad I didn't get any data either, hopefully it's a sign that I didn't mess anything up. I should have connected the dots when you guys were telling me to make sure I had the correct usb port for the obd cable in the 'my computer' section. At least its never boring around here!!! Thanks for your continuing support and bearing with my idiototic actions.
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

Both cables have the same functionality, where it comes to communications between the ECM and the laptop.

The difference is simply like you suggest, laptop connectivity.

I have USB logging cables, that I use in vehicles.

I also have a serial ALDL cable that I made years ago, that I now use with my PC for my test bench, since I have a serial port on it.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

They are all serial. USB is converted to serial in computer. This has been a major issue since most laptops in last 5-6 years do not have sereial anymore. IIRC some USB did not have power either in the begining? Your cable should have come with CD and drivers too!
    http://www.aldlcable.com/

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

My first cable I got off of the internet, I got it for 10 bucks and came with nothing else. I only had the vehicle side connection, the other end was just a few wires, nothing else. I since then have learned what I ordered, and corrected my mistake and ordered a usb cable. That cable is to get here hopefully Monday. I hope!!! Until then I am back where I have been for months, but I also have learned a few more things since then.
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

If we all look back we could start a good thread with silly things we have done? Gives you time to play with TunerPro till then. Have you ever played back a data log? I'll post one for you. Acqusition, Load Log file... then Aqusition Play. Or right click on tool bar and check all of them and get used to the buttons! Much easier!
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Nope sure haven't but I am game to try!!!

Stupid thing was that I was trying to stick the wires into the serial port of the older laptop thinking to myself 'how in the hell are these guys driving, logging, holding wires, and what happens if they have to shift!'

So I can aquire this file right from the internet to tunerpro rt?
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

So what bin and XDF do I use for that file? It plays, but the only thing that happens is the timer on the bottom center runs, that's it?
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

$42-1227747-V3.adx .xdf and it's a secret bin file!!! OK so it's ASDU I did some work on...
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

-= =-

So what is the V3.adx.xdf? What is the ASDU and what do I do with it? If I put it in the wrong spot what will happen?

I am still working on it, 16 hour day installing a floor in a fire truck and my mind won't stop! My body is dead tired.

OK I've seen the ASDU file before, I think in the file Dave W sent me, I'm going to try and use that for the ? I have added a picture of what I have so far, I've got a few ideas, mostly something in that file that Dave sent me months ago, I'm going to look there, I don't understand how to look for this stuff. Is this how you screw with the new guys??? lol

I did a few things and I don't know if they are right or not, I don't think they are. I can play the datalog from the top center keys, after I loaded the second file I go different graphs up, but I don't have any dash guages or anything to look at other then the bar sliding slowly to the right and the time stamp at the bottom middle of the screen.

P.S. I can't wait til I have a new guy to mess with!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

I'm out of ideas, don't know what to do or how to do what I am to do next. I did find the dash and guages, don't know how to show anything on them either. I'm guessing that when I get the correct programs added to tunerpro rt then the guages will work? I think I even tryed to add pictures to the .bin, which that didn't work either!
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

No one is messing with you on purpose! Just don't know where everyone is at

I've done some how toos but looks like we need a starter how too...

Well with TunerPro you have to load a few things, your bin/chip/ASDU.bin.

Then you need the mask (xdf) to read the bin in english, not hex, $42-1227727-V3.xdf.

Then you need the file for data/scanner (adx) file for the bin/chip/ECM which is the $43-1227727-V3.adx.

The data logged I posted is saved in a file with .xdl at end and can be named anything...

Well there is a slight learning curve. May as well start by having a folder with origanals and a set of duplicates to fall back on because you can change your bin, adx and xdf the way you want. You can also mess them up...

CHIP: TunerPro, File Open Bin. Now your bin is loaded in TunerPro.

MASK: TunerPro still open, XDF, select your xdf, now your mask is loaded in TunerPro. You can now make changes to your Chip/bin file.

SCANNER: TunerPro still open, Acqusision, Load Definition file. Now your aqusition file is loaded in TunerPro. You can now record data from car. Or play back a data log if you do next step.

DATA LOG: TunerPro still open, Acqusision, Load Log file.

Here's some more so you don't have to do this each time you close and open TunerPro.

Tools, Preferences, Genera,l check the box to load your last xdf and bin at startup... I have everything on left side checked, right side your choice, I would leave default for now, then over to Data aqusistion and Emulation and check load last adx at start up. Now you will have your files ready each time you open. Also if you make a change and forget to save it will remind you if you close it. Maybe you were playing and do not want to save?

I also tell guys to right click on tool bar and check all toolbars! Get used to the buttons, they are the same as going through the menu items.

There's a start! HTH!

You should now be able to play with, change, improve or mess up anything!

-= =-

Ok so I need to find and load not 1 file but 3 differrent files?

Chip? what is this? What does it do? what are the common tails of it?

mask? what is this? what does it do? what are the common tails of it?(.???)

scanner? what is this? What does it do? What are the common tails of it? (.???)

There were only two file in the link you posted, with those two files and the data log is that what I was suppose to use?

I think you guys are taking an awful lot of assuming on me, I'm up on the terminalogy of it all. I thought that the files were readily there all I needed to do was to give them to tunerpro rt and the program did the rest.

I removed everything that I thought was wrong and kept the data log. Is this right? I never could trust silicone!

I guess that I don't understand where to locate and/or how to determine what is a bin or a mask (I don't even know if I'm calling it by the right names.) I need 2 more files before I can hit play and see something happen right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

I was afraid my breif description might not be enough. I remeber the same quaestions when I started so I used it and added more information to a TunerPro Starter Tutorial which gives a little more description of file extensions xdf, adx, bin and xdl and how each file works. This thread should answer those questions and bring you up to operating level!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...is-a-must-read

After you read this it should start to come together!

-= =-

scanner? what is this? What does it do? What are the common tails of it? (.???)
    TurnerPro RT is a great program, but there is a high learning curve.

What is scanning?
    This is reading your current car data: rpm, battery voltage, coolant temperature. I get 82 values.

You can buy a hardware scanner called a scan tool. There $300 over at sears.
    I suggest you get started with scanning.

Turning is changing the values on your car's ecm. When you tune, your going to need to know how to scan so you can see the results of a tune.

Here is a quick overview of scanning:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-for-Beginners

In my scanner definition file, .adx, neither the dashboard nor the monitor was setup. This is left to you to "do your own thing!"

In this thread, I include a zip file of both the ADX file and the ADL log file.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ling-when-cold

Here is how I configured my monitor file:

Last edited by historystamp; 01-01-2012 at 01:42 AM.

ok after the description (detailed) that you gave I am guessing that the log that you posted is to go in the 3rd position, the v3 thing is to go in the first position, and I, as of yet, have to figure out which file goes in the 1st position. I do remember fromt he conversation that Dave and I had (now 6 months ago) that the 1st postion is the type of computer and the 4 letter code from the computer. How do I figure out (from the information that was given in this thread) what the 4 letter code is and the 3 digits on the computer are? Is there someplace in the mask that I am to look?
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger