Thread: New guy looking to learn a bit about tbi tuning.

Carb and Points!

New guy looking to learn a bit about tbi tuning.

Hi guys, I have a 1994 chevy k1500 with a Tbi 350/4l60e with the 16197427 ecu. Im looking to swap the tbi system for a holley 600 cfm classic carb system to lead up to my later project of a 5.3 lsx carb swap. Im hoping to keep the 4l60e and maybe tune the prom a bit to be able to use the stock distributor and computer timing to make my swap a little easier. I know its a bit oddball, but any help would be appreciated. Im new to tuning and am using tunerpro. If anyone has any ideas that will help me along with my carb swap, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Fuel Injected!
    I can't help much, but I've gotta ask why the swap to carb, especially for the 5.3? You lose a lot of good things by getting rid of injection and on the 5.3 it gets more expensive than injection would be. On the TBI motor, you will have to keep the MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor and rig up a TPS. You'd probably want to keep the knock sensor as well.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastacton View Post
    I can't help much, but I've gotta ask why the swap to carb, especially for the 5.3? You lose a lot of good things by getting rid of injection and on the 5.3 it gets more expensive than injection would be. On the TBI motor, you will have to keep the MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor and rig up a TPS. You'd probably want to keep the knock sensor as well.
    I want to do the 5.3 swap eventually for a couple of reasons honestly. The main being, as silly as this is especially on an efi tuning board, I like the idea of a new style engine with old school looks and technology. The second being if I want to change things in the motor, all I have to do is tune the carb or get a bigger one. With fuel injection, to support a higher amount of power, it gets expensive real quick with just supporting upgrades, and then you have to tune it afterwards. Being in NH, I dont have a whole lot of options for help with tuning an efi truck, but we do have a bunch of old nascar hillbillys kicking around that just love carburetors. Ive seen here http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...e-control.html that you dont need to run the map sensor for this trans as the only thing it looks for for running is the distributor, CTS/Oil pressure, a Vss and a tps. Ive seen a couple on this forum run those 16197427 ecus as a standalone transmission controller of sorts, so I was just seeing if there was a way to do it with a carb and maybe being able to keep the stock distributor rather than swapping out for an older hei. Im sorry if none of this makes sense, I just woke up so im a little foggy

Fuel Injected!
    You'll need the MAP sensor to run the distributor properly. Doing a build like this means that you're going to have to tune the ignition, so you might as well just tune the EFI and skip the float bowls, power valves and jets. I think if you add up the costs on the 5.3, it'll be much cheaper to get power out of EFI than carb. And EFI help is only as far away as your keyboard as long as you have the internet. Having a tune done remotely by someone on the other side of the country is now a normal happening. Even NASCAR has finally embraced EFI. If you really want to stick with a carb, just get some good heads and cam for the 5.7 rather than putting in the 5.3, you'll be money and time ahead.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    yeah maybe you're right. With a vortec head setup some tbi mods and a cam on the 350, I could make comfortable hp without breaking the bank for the motor swap. maybe ill save the 5.3 for when I get a g-body someday. That way I don't have to screw with the electric trans.