Thread: Hello from the winter wonderland!

Electronic Ignition!

Hello from the winter wonderland!

Hey All,
    Oldtime gearhead and computer / electronics guy working on my 1994 ZR2 S10 with a 4.3 "W" motor.
    I have had this truck since 2001 and over the last year rebuild most of it in an effort to keep on using it as my daily driver in the winter and my trusty tow sled for pulling my fishing boat in the summer.
    I have been fighting an ongoing Check Engine light that pops on whenever the engine gets up to temp. THat is how I ended up here.
    I Have an ALDL cable and I have been trying different tuner software in an effort to find some diagnostics to help me in my troubleshooting. I found a link to this board on one of the sites and I am joining in hopes of aquiring the knowledge to resolve this issue and better understand the electronic controls sytems in use on my truck.

Welcome fellow GearHead!

I'm sure we can help get you going. Most of the guys here use TunerPro RT which is a scanner data logger on one side and chip/bin editor on the other.

You should start a thread in the GM EFI section with your vehicle info... do you know what code yet? Have you tried the paperclip trick? Read this link and count the blinks, pretty sure it'll work on yours. Then we can try to get you hooked up to TunerPro or whatever software to read codes and data.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-CEL-SES-Light

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi Mark,
    I have the Tunerpro RT package and I sent my donation in and just got my license file.
    I do have my code and I found a few files relating to it in the spreadsheet of ECM code numbers.
    I have a an ALDL cable for awhile and have tried a few different software packages with it but I found the TunerPro and thought it was worth 40 bucks.
    I am trying to figure out how to use the ADX and bin files I found..

Glad to here your a supporter of TP!

Well there is a slight learning curve. May as well start by having a folder with origanals and a set of duplicates to fall back on because you can change your bin, adx and xdf the way you want. You can also mess them up...

TunerPro, File Open Bin. Now your bin is loaded in TunerPro.

TunerPro still open, XDF, select your xdf, it is now loaded in TP.

TunerPro still open, Acqusision, Load Definition file. Now your aqusition is loaded in TunerPro.

Tools, Preferences, General check the box to load your last xdf and bin at startup... I have everything on left side checked, right side your choice, I would leave default for now, then over to Data aqusistion and Emulation and check load last adx at start up. Now you will have your files ready each time you open. Also if you make a change and forget to save it will remind you if you close it. Maybe you were playing and do not want to save?

There's a start! HTH!

I'm going to split this thread to GM Injection and we can help you along.

Introductions is really just to say hi and see your a real GearHead... spammers don't stop by here... not for tech stuff...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-