Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LT1 ECM 16188051 repair source?

kur40

Looking at the blue/gray board and the picture of the 32 legs..it appears that of the top -7- legs and from left to right #3 and #7 are dead end? They don't appear to be connected to any circuits?

Fuel Injected!
    You are right, these are not connected internally.
    Here is the pinout of the chip.

Been trying various combinations today, even tried loading a stock 95 LT1 BIN on both proms (T&E)..still no communication with PCM. Can read another 16188051 that I have so I know that the hardware/cables are working.

Double checked and re-installed/soldered the sockets..still no communication. Burned the FLASH AN28F512 several times with my new Mini-Pro TL866CS. Attached copies from the chips. Tried positioning the chips in various positions (up/down) within the socket. Been attempting the read/programming with both E&T boards not installed inside the aluminum covers if that makes a difference.

Do the bins look OK?

Fuel Injected!
    Those seem to add up to a good bin. At least the tables and such I looked at seemed OK.

Did you read them from the chips or is that what you're trying to program? If that's what you're trying to program then program it and then compare the chip to the buffer to ensure both have the same data. One thing that has tripped me up before is loading 00 vs FF for the blank memory locations. I can't recall on this one which way to go.

The data is from the chips, ie erased them, burnt them, installed them in the PCM, didn't communicate, so I removed and read them as attached. Have a feeling it's something to do with the programming format.
    Last edited by EDZIP; 06-30-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not seeing a problem with the bin files. I looked at another file and it appears that 00 is used as the filler and you've got that right so I've got nothing to suggest except look at your soldering work again.

The good news is that I was able to program the extra 16188051 that I have..so I'll be able to finish my LT1 conversion. Have a couple of new FLASH AN28F512 proms en route and will give them a try.

Carb and Points!
    so do you have to burn the new chips prior to installing them into the ecu before you can go back to using tunercats?

Quote Originally Posted by camaroguy50613 View Post
    so do you have to burn the new chips prior to installing them into the ecu before you can go back to using tunercats?
    Yes sir...burn them outside the pcm then install them so Tunercats can recognize the pcm to start a full flash.
    Last edited by EDZIP; 08-06-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Carb and Points!
    ugh that doesnt sound fun... :/

Quote Originally Posted by jthompson122183 View Post
    Revisted this site...if I'm correct he only removed and flashed "one" chip on the BLUE/GRAY side board? He doen't even discuss the other board on the BLK/RED side.

Anyone actually done this repair? Looks like only one eprom needs to be removed, flashed and reinstalled??????????

Electronic Ignition!
    I have 97 OBD2 so don't know if it makes a difference. But the Eside (black connector side) on mine is the 28F512 and takes the 64k bin and on the T side (blue connector side) is a 28F010 150 and takes a 128k bin. And you are using a TL 866cs programmer and getting that to work? Wow mine is giving me errors.

I've been talking to CATS and im going to get a pocket tuner from transtronics... little spendy but is what they use and suggest so its the route im going. Better than buying more programmers that don't know if they work and trans units are known to work but 270 bucks but then I'm done buying others that may not work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoyz View Post
    I have 97 OBD2 so don't know if it makes a difference. But the Eside (black connector side) on mine is the 28F512 and takes the 64k bin and on the T side (blue connector side) is a 28F010 150 and takes a 128k bin. And you are using a TL 866cs programmer and getting that to work? Wow mine is giving me errors.

I've been talking to CATS and im going to get a pocket tuner from transtronics... little spendy but is what they use and suggest so its the route im going. Better than buying more programmers that don't know if they work and trans units are known to work but 270 bucks but then I'm done buying others that may not work.

Love the TL 866CS programmer..it was about $42 shipped on eBay. Finally got my 16188051 up and running after flashing the AN28F512 chips. My recent post:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...for-95-LT1-PCM

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoyz View Post

bigtoyz

Just remembered that the 32 pin adapter only works if I put in a spacer..must be that the 28F512 sets to low in the adapter.

Before soldering the PLCC 32 Pin IC DIP Connector you need to remove the center so you can reach the contacts. That same center you remove and must replace after soldering works great while flashing using the TL866CS with 32 pin adapter. One I did that..no more errors..hope pic helps.

Electronic Ignition!
    I had an old chip and was able to read that and able to bin file on either chip and worked. Just when I tried to put GM calibration from couple sources that it errors out.