Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to TBI Data logging and such.

Electronic Ignition!

New to TBI Data logging and such.

Hello,
    New guy here from Wisconsin. I recently picked up an 87 GMC Sierra R3500, 5.7 TBI with an SM465 4 speed. I am getting set up to do some data logging and possible tuning in the future. I do need a little help tho. I have downloaded and installed TunerproRT and am now looking for the files I need to download. Can anyone help me out with finding the files I need. I have attached a pic of my ECM and believe I need the AFMX bin file but I am not sure

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

you need the adx and xdf, the bin file isn't as important for data logging. the ASDX and ASDU bins are very complete and include some of the patches for highway lean cruise and I would probably use them (1 is auto, and the other is for manual trans.)
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    The ASDX and ASDU bins are for newer than 87. My truck is an 87 with a 5.7 4 speed manual. Will the ASDX file work for me? Also, there are different versions of adx and xdf files as seen below. Does it matter which ones I use? I would imagine the newest ones "in red" corect?

Quote Originally Posted by georgeb View Post
    The ASDX and ASDU bins are for newer than 87. My truck is an 87 with a 5.7 4 speed manual. Will the ASDX file work for me? Also, there are different versions of adx and xdf files as seen below. Does it matter which ones I use? I would imagine the newest ones "in red" corect?

Use the latest versions v5.2 for the ADX and v5.9.3 for the XDF.
    I am using the auto version of that bin currently in my bone (almost) stock 1987 truck

Electronic Ignition!
    Sorry for this dumb question but by using do you mean you are using those file parameters to control your engine or just loading them up into tunerpro for data logging. I really have no clue how this all works.

The bin is just used for data logging at this point. I actually am running the ASDU bin in my truck. If you were to actually start tuning, I would start with the ASDX bin, burn that, then data log with it. To get an idea of how stuff works, ASDX will work fine.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you so much!!!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    I have my cable made and am able to log data! I recorded a luke warm start up in the hopes of catching it hunting for idle and was successful. You can see it in the log. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Is the timing advance supposed to do that? I am not sure what is all happening and why.

I just took a quick look, one thing that you should do, is make sure it is completely warmed up to do logs. EagleMark always said, to take it out, drive it until is goes closed loop, then bring it back, idle it drive for 3 minutes, then put it in park and let it idle for 3 minutes. While the engine it warming up, it can be difficult to know what is going on. Try the drive then idle test. make another log and post it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, will do! In the mean time, any thoughts on the ignition timing moving up and down so much in the early part of the log?

You have an error 42, est that you should clear. That must be from timing it. Where are you seeing the timing change? to see spark advance in the data stream, you must apply the BPW and Spark advance Hack to the bin.

Electronic Ignition!
    I see it here in red. Looks like it climbs up and then drops to zero then climbs back up or am I missunderstanding?

Electronic Ignition!
    I watched with a tming light and it wasnt really moving that far at all.

unless you have changed your chip, the spark advance data is not reported in the data stream. What you are seeing is the O2 cross counts. That is where the patch puts the spark advance data.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I see. Someday I would like to change the chip and be able to see the timing on there but I guess it's not that critical. So I will drive the truck to work tomorrow and log when I get there. Thanks again for the help! Hopefully I will gain an understanding of how all this works sooner than later.
    Last edited by georgeb; 06-15-2015 at 06:11 PM.