Thread: Trying to read live data from a 6299

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

Trying to read live data from a 6299

SO it seems I am messing with one of the rarer ECM's. I have been trying to get my friends suburban up and running and really want to see the data that the computer is using. I made a cable to use with Winaldl, but I don't have a pin E in the aldl port, so no 160 baud. So I made a cable for the 8192 baud (The two transistor version, used with a serial usb adapter) But there is no free software that I can seem to find that will give me any live data.

OK, no problem I will be happy to purchase Tunerpro RT. Hear good things about the program and $40 is cheap for good software, but I can't seem to find anywhere that says it will read my ECM. I don't mind spending the money, but I can't afford to throw it away either...

Long story short, does anyone know if Tunerpro RT will read the 6299 ECM? the truck is a 92 suburban 1500 4x4 with a 350.

Thank you
    -Mark

The 6299 ECM is a 160 baud, C3 ECM. It has a lot in common with the 7747. Here is the thread on the 6299 ECM: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-99 TunerPro RT works fine with the 6299. It has a 10 second nag screen if it isn't licensed. It is fully functional without paying for it. Try it and if you like it, then buy the license. Read the documentation on TunerPro RT for the details. Hope this helps,
    Brian

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you. I had found that thread, but I just wanted to make sure.

I was under the impression that the aldl used pin E for the 160 baud and pin M for the 8192 baud, but this truck only has pin M. Which led me to believe that is was 8192...

I missed the download link for tunerpro RT. I just saw the register next to the price. If it does what I need then I have no problem paying the $40.

Thank you for your help

You may find your problem doesn't lie in the software, but the hardware you're using.

I have found that serial to USB converters have odd latency timings and can make it difficult if not impossible to connect, especially to a non standard baud rate datalink that GM used (160 or 8192 baud).

I haven't had the two transistor cable work reliably, at least not without connecting it directly to a bonafied serial port.

I have had better success with a MAX232 based cable, but still not a rock solid connection when used with USB to serial converters.

The Moates' ALDU1 with CABL1 has been the best and most reliable investment when it comes to connecting to the ALDL datalink.

I have use the Moates cable and Tuner Pro RT with a '299 successfully, before swapping the ECM with a '7747, since the '7747 was more documented.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Since I am new to this and all of my own vehicles are obd2. I was trying to minimize the investment. I would be willing to try other options, but if I can do it cheaper and just as well, then it is worth a shot...

I have considered using the 7747 and just might if it comes to that

I just got home from work so I tried to get this running and Tunerpro says the cable is working, but it isn't showing data. I also can't find the .adx file in the above link.

Obviously I need to do some more homework on how to use the software, but these are what I have come up with so far.

Also I don't know if it means anything but the usb serial converter I am using does work flawlessly with Nissan consult devices.

I also could build the max232 cable and probably will next (mainly because I like to say I made stuff myself, that and I am cheap...)

Thanks again for your help and any advice you can offer

-Mark

Also, what do the prom codes mean? is there a chart or something that decodes them or do you just have to match the one in your ecm?

OK, also found out I need to use Tunerpro rt V4. I got the .xdf and .ads imported and it says my cable is working , but I am not sure what I need to do to get actual information from the truck. It does saay I am connected though, so that seems like a good sign.

My wife will kill me if I start the truck again as it is almost midnight here and she is worried about pissing off the neighbors, but I will be out of town until Thursday and won't have a chance to test anything until then. That will give me plenty of time to read the tutorials until I get back
    Last edited by Markmx6; 05-30-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: More info

No, working with any other devices means squat when it comes to working with communications with a GM ECM, like I said before, GM used non standard baud rates, and this causes problems on it's own, with perfectly working cables, let alone combinations of adapters that add their own latencies.

You don't need TP RT V4, V5 works and is what I use on everything I tune anymore. Just import the ADS and save as an ADX, there's an option for it under the acquisition menu.

I too like to build my own stuff, as I said I built a MAX232 based cable, I did that years ago, along with trying both a single and two transistor cable. The MAX232 was the least flakey, but still flakey in the end, especially when coupled with a USB to serial adapter. I bought the Moates cable and never looked back. Well, that's not totally true, I do use my MAX232 cable on my test bench sometimes, since my PC has a bonafied serial port.

A lot of the 160 BAUD ECMs (ADXs) will show connected, even if they are not, due to the nature of the 160 baud datastream. The 160 baud stream is always being transmitted, even when no cable is attached. There is no real handshaking, per say, just start bits that tell the listening device when the stream is starting at the fist bit.

The 8192 ECMs, will only transmit data after the ECM and the listening device has hand shook, and in sync.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.