Thread: Proper Splicing Techniques

Fuel Injected!

Proper Splicing Techniques

This subject was mentioned in this thread: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...splicing+wires - I did a search here and did not find anything. Has it been covered here or perhaps somewhere else?

Specifically, I have a 2-connector MAF harness that I need to turn into a 5-pin single connector (I have the new connector). Can I splice the wires or should one acquire the correct terminal ends? If I need the wires to be a little longer I'll have to splice anyway. Thanks. -Bob

I have several spliced connectors/wire on my harness with no issues. I have always taken the regular crimp butt splice connectors, used a punch to push out the metal sleeve out of the plastic, then use that to crimp the wires together. I then heat it up with a mini torch and solder it. I then finish it off with heat shrink tubing. (don't forget to slide the heat shrink tubing over one of the wires before you crimp and solder them)
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    The correct terminals and the correct crimp tool would be the best. To splice, I use a "western union" splice method to twist the wires together, solder the connection and then use dual wall heat shrink tubing. The dual wall heat shrink tubing has a glue inside and is the only heat shrink that seals the connection.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    The correct terminals and the correct crimp tool would be the best. To splice, I use a "western union" splice method to twist the wires together, solder the connection and then use dual wall heat shrink tubing. The dual wall heat shrink tubing has a glue inside and is the only heat shrink that seals the connection.
    with the exception of dual-wall heatshrink(I use cheap 3:1 stuff), that's also what I aim for when space allows.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    .... I use a "western union" splice method to twist the wires together.....
    Could you elaborate on that a little?

Super Moderator
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I have several spliced connectors/wire on my harness with no issues. I have always taken the regular crimp butt splice connectors, used a punch to push out the metal sleeve out of the plastic, then use that to crimp the wires together. I then heat it up with a mini torch and solder it. I then finish it off with heat shrink tubing. (don't forget to slide the heat shrink tubing over one of the wires before you crimp and solder them)
    This is what I did to an 88 IROC harness to get it lay the way I wanted in an 86 Monte Carlo. If you solder something, make sure you don't move it until the solder sets, or cools. Which is pretty quickly. Moving it can cause a cold solder joint, which can lead to high resistance. That could be a bear to chase down if you didn't know where it was................

If you splice in lengths of wire, try to plan ahead and order the same color and size. splicing in the wrong color could get confusing if you are a few years down the line and forget you did that...............ask me how I know!!!

I chose to use high high quality clear heat shrink. I can look at the splice in the future to see if it has any corrosion in it, in case I did it wrong and am chasing trouble.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks - appreciate the suggestions