Thread: Jet 14005 connection help

Fuel Injected!

Jet 14005 connection help

I have a 97 S10 with an L35 4.3 liter and a 5 speed. I wanted to get into the ECM and turn off with rear O2 sensor and the EGR valve. I also have been toying with the idea of installing a bigger injector spider and a turbocharger. I went shopping for tuning tools and everything I found said TunerCat was the way to go but when I tried to follow up with that I kept coming up with TunerCat was now part of Jet Performance. I called Jet and they told me that the 14005 Dynamic Spectrum was what I wanted. I have the package and have gone to try to read the stock ECM with the Jet Flash part of the program I keep getting a DSL communication error. I contacted Jet but am not getting anywhere fast. They sent me a troubleshooting list of what to do with my USB to serial adapter and settings to check but I had already tried all that.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and have made sure my compatibility setting are set to Windows XP V2 and the administration box is checked for both the Jet Flash and Jet DS Tuner programs. I changed the baud rate on my USB adapter to 57600 and also tried the slower transfer rates in the Advanced settings. The Device manager recognizes the USB adapter and I updated the driver to be sure. It is a Treadnet TU-S9 V2.0R. I also made sure the FIFU box was checked under advanced. I have used this adapter to tune my AEM on my Supra and my MSD ignitions on my race cars with no issues on this laptop.

The red light is flashing when I plug the DSL interface connector to the OBDII port when the key is off or on engine not running and the Jet Flash is recognizing what com port is available as you have to set it each time the program is booted up.

At first I was getting an 8020 error message and it would shut the program off. When I slowed the transfer speed down I started getting DSL interface not found or communication errors. I bought this new so this is the first time it has been used and am sure I am doing something wrong I just don't know what.

Thanks for any help.

I hate to tell you but Jet is a piece of crap. I have it and never use it.
    You will have all sort of communication problems using a USB-Serial adapter, they just won't work, tried several and got erratic results.
    I bought an old laptop with true Serial RS-232 port, it worked good every time using it.

The problem with the USB adapter is that you will brick quite a few PCMs until you realize a true serial is the way to go.

Fuel Injected!
    I just loaded the program to my old laptop from the dyno and it has serial ports. What is a better tuning solution for the stuff HPTuners and EFILive won't do?

TunerCats OBD2 is the other solution for PCMs not supported by those 2. It's exactly the same software as Jet DST, the difference is Tunercats is USB and the support is second to none.
    The other problem is Tunercats OBD2 is not sold anymore unless you buy a roadrunner, so you need to spend like $1100 to start tuning.
    I bought it and it's the best purchase I have ever made. I do a lot of tuning tho, so it paid for itself in a few months, if you only need to tune your own car stick with jet.

Fuel Injected!
    I run a chassis dyno on the side and have alot more interest generated towards stuff that the EFI Live or HP Tuners will do and there is an increasing market for I just have to get more comfortable with tuning factory ECM's and the terminology which is why I joined this forum. Thank you for all your help. You were dead on with the laptop suggestion as it connected right up with the old laptop.

Glad to hear it worked!!