Thread: 305 -->350 swap

Carb and Points!

305 -->350 swap

Hello,
    Last december i bought a 79 vandura. Sadly on the way home the 305 engine seized due to a rusthole in the pipe where the dipstick sits. As it was a 79 my logical sence said carbed so i got a 350 (casting 3970010). Finally when the van was towed home a week later and started pulling the engine i noticed it was a 305tbi. Further searching told me that the van has its European vin replaced for a 79 but the van itself was actually a 87. (The wiring for the efi is incorporated in the loom.
    So i got two choices. 1is stick to carb or 2 fit the tbi system to the old gen 350. I choose the last.
    I been browsing for months on end to read up on it.
    And all i need still is the esc module, knock sensor and a proper chip. I also did some mode on the system. (Made the fuelpressure adjustable, removed the ridges on the throttle body, put copper bushings on the butterfly valveshaft, salad bowl mod combined with a dual ram air system, teflon injector riserspacer. Machinesthe 4 centerbolts on the intake and made wedges to pick up the slack. 3wire oxigen sensor).The ECM is the classic 1227747. All sensors and controllers i have so far are 350 specific. Iets mainly these last 3 parts i cant vind here as it seems most chips i ran into in europe are the memcal type or v6 .The tranny is still a th400. I want to use a eeprom type chip for future mode like vortec heads camshaft. Boring out the TB to 46mm. If you need any more info just ask and i will reply asap.
    Thx out front.

Fuel Injected!
    I'd recommend going with a new knock sensor, but you can get away with a used ESC, lots of people on eBay will sell overseas through the global shipping program if you're having a problem finding these elsewhere.

For the chip, you'll want to get the Moates.net G2 adapter (.060" leg spacing) with a ZIF socket, a chip or two and something to burn chips and/or emulate. I like the APU1 as it pretty much does everything. Once you have that stuff and get the adapter soldered in, you can get the appropriate .bin here and get started tuning.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    From what i read about the knock sensor i agree on that. It seems that they easely get damaged if you try getting them out an old engine, the esc i might get my hands on one this thursday. Today i got an adress from someone who has a salvageyard with only gm vans and caprices. i called him up and asked if i could have a look myself. Apparently he doesnt bother with the smaller bits.(who knows i come accross a caprice copcar ). About the moates G2 adapter, 30$ isn't expensive, only problem is that if i buy something from a store or ebay in the US, customs are bound to let me pay for import so to make it clear 30$ will end up being close to double or even more then the purchaseprice when it arrives on my doorstep in europe. Thats why i havent done that allready.
    Instead i would make my own adapter. Thru my nights of browsing for info i came across a few treads and articles about this. I also been to the local electronics shop and layed out what i wanted to do and the shopowner said there were a few things i could do.
    1: just connect the pins 1,2,27&28 to 26 making sure the bin file was in the top memory
    2: same as above but loading up the same binfile in every memory part for added safety
    3: dividing up the chip with adreslines (dipswitch) and hereby enableing stacking multiple binfiles for different settings
    i do have interest in the third option, the reason why is because next summer the van will go to a shop to make it run on fuel combinations, being the standard 98oct gasoline, LPG(has its own ecu system and last a combination of gasoline and hydrogin. therefor i thing it might be usefull to have two different bins onboard. or am i seeing it wrong?
    Oh and as last question i'm having for now
    some say if you put a tbi on an older engine AND make use of the knock sensor, its best to change lifters because the noise of the older lifters might set off the sensor. any ideas about that?