Thread: Base Pulse Width vs Load

Base Pulse Width vs Load

So I finally tried richening up the base pulse width table with no success. I logged and just saw the Base Pulse Width number on the log where it was rich and just found that under the RPM's in the table and tried to increase it but no luck. How do I go about richening up a lean condition in $32b at about mid to 3/4 throttle.

Super Moderator
    32B is a MAF mask... I would say that if you are lean, you need to play with the MAF table to get rid of it.

I want to say there is a flag that allows the BPW vs LV8 table to be used and that is isn't used by default in any factory calibrations.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

You are absolutely right. So if I do not uncheck the flag then playing with that base pulse width table is useless?
    Here is the thing, at 3/4 throttle I am going lean, I adjusted the 4th MAF table higher and got rid of the lean condition but I had to set values higher than table number 5, if I set table 5 higher than 4 then my WOT gets to rich. Is it ok that I leave it like this? I figure if it works and runs well then why not!

Super Moderator
    if it's working, I'd leave it. something sounds goofy with the XDF for values in table 4 to be higher than table 5 and it be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    if it's working, I'd leave it. something sounds goofy with the XDF for values in table 4 to be higher than table 5 and it be happy with it.
    What do you mean by that? For me to adjust table 4 higher than 5 what would happen to the XDF file? The car was setting a high MAF code 33 but I then put the threshold all the way up.
    Also, how do I go about adjusting Base Pulse Width table vs LV8 without unchecking the flag or should I just play with MAF tables for fueling?
    Last edited by ZEDRATED; 05-21-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Super Moderator
    seems like if 4 has to be set higher than 5 for things to run correctly, that something isn't being accounted for in the XDF... bad/missing conversion or something along those lines.

the BPW table seems weird to me to begin with, it also seems like it would have low resolution considering all of its values are 8-bit results, I don't think I would bother messing with it, but maybe I'm glossing over some kind of advantage it may have in specific circumstances?

I don't know. When I read a good article on here it says to uncheck the flag and tune using the base pulse width table. Because my car seems so close and WOT is done I am just going to play with the MAF tables till I get it exactly where I want it. Thanks.