Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust wreaks during DFCO

Fuel Injected!

Exhaust wreaks during DFCO

Hi all,

Ive got a catless, true dual AMC 304 V8 with a fuel only 1127747 TBI setup inside a cj5. It is working very well, but now that I have the top off for summer, I can smell the exhaust some. It smells fine in most cases, but during DFCO, the exhaust wreaks! Like eye wateringly bad. I know it's going lean, because I can feel DFCO kick in and slow the rig down, and my laptop shows the O2 reading very low voltage.

So why is this happening? Is this a common thing, or is it because I'm running fuel only?

thanks,

How long is the exhaust? Whats the timing like in high vacuum on decel?
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 04-29-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    It being a cj5, the exhaust is pretty short. As far as timing, I'm running a DUI unit, so max mechanical is 36* or so and max vac is 7 or so, so the most I'd see is 43*

However, it stinks from high rpm all the way to low rpm just before it turns the mode off, so I guess take a well tuned AMC V8 advance curve and add 7 or so degrees at whatever point and that's my advance.

Is it safe to assume you are running true dual without a cross over? Headers? The exhaust run down each side and dump out in front of the tires?

Fuel Injected!
    Headers, no crossover of any kind, exits behind rear tires out to each respective side of the tub

K, can you post up the tune? With exhaust like that you are pulling fresh air back in the exhaust when there isnt enough volume to keep it from doing so. Remember full on super fat or super lean will cause excess emissions, your eye watering condition. So exhaust reversion combined with lean gives you super lean and NOX.
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 04-29-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I'll try and post my bin tonight.

What you say makes perfect sense, but I though DFCO cut the fuel off completely. If that's true, shouldn't I be making no emissions? Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Its my understanding its only leaned by the factor in the tune, its a multiplier not full cut out unless you tune it that lean.

Correct me if I am wrong guys.

Also, have you tuned that portion of the VE table with DCFO turned off?

Fuel Injected!
    Yessir, my VE table was built with DFCO turned off. I left the DFCO stuff alone, so it'll be the same as the ASDW bin for 5.7 manual tranny.

Bock to the timing stuff..... What is your total mechanical curve? 20 degrees, 15, 10........ I would say try it with DFCO turned off and see if it still does it. If no then trying making it DFCO a little richer. Are you running a speed sensor?

Fuel Injected!
    My mechanical is 24 overall it so. It doesn't make the smell when decelerating without the DFCO. I'm fine removing it, I like to get the best economy possible, but I don't like being poisoned more.

IDK about the 7747, as I ditched it years ago for a 7427. But on my 7427, when it goes DFCO, it shuts the fuel off completely. My exhaust doesn't really have a smell when in DFCO, except mayby a mild warm engine/oil smell. Basically what you would expect a hot cylinder to smell like.
    So the 7747 does not actually cut the fuel off? I thought that's what dfco was, decel fuel cut off, if it is just leaning it out, would that not be decel enleanment?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

If you look at the settings for DFCO it is a TINY window the rest of the time it would be in enleanment. I should have clarified better in other posts. Because of this tiny window is why I was asking about the speed sensor. DFCO only happens in like 400 rpm and 4 mph range, the rest of the time is in enleanment.

Fuel Injected!
    The DFCO in the ASDW bin is on a lot more. Pretry much anything above 1200 RPM and mid teens MPH with a high vac and its on. The AMC motors seem to make a bit more vac than the GM ones the system came off of, maybe I need to increase the vac threshold.

Fuel Injected!
    I turned it off for now. Life is much less stinky. I don't smell anything unusual when coasting now, but it does coast faster :)