Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortec 8100 8.1 496 gen vii bbc Big Block Chevy Tuning swap and help

Electronic Ignition!

Vortec 8100 8.1 496 gen vii bbc Big Block Chevy Tuning swap and help

Hey guys a friend of mine turned me onto this site. I just bought a 2001 HD 2500 i sold the wore out 6.0 and 4l80e. I am replacing it with an 8.1 and nv4500.
    I bought the truck since I run a FB group about 8.1s and had some request for turbo kits for these engines. So i kinda need a mockup and R and D vehicle.

But I am very limited on GM tuning knowledge I have had experience with mega squirt and tuner pro using mefi burn to tune mefi 3 controllers. Mainly right now i want to get the tune changed so it will start and run. engine is bone stock.

So after i get my cables etc I am sure i will have more questions.

I can say right out of the gate non tuning wise, we have done a few of these swaps. You will need the 8.1 core support and radiator, its totally different than the 6.0. But if you are running turbos and heat exchanger or air/air you could fab it all up.

The GEN 3 0411 ecm is a great ecm for that kind of build. I have done many forced induction setups with that ecm and never had an issue. Running a custom OS will be key to allow multi Bar map sensor and proper fuel/timing control. You will also need to ditch the MAF and run speed density but the custom OS will allow that will full spark table control.

Are you keeping the stock 8.1 intake and throttle body?

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    I can say right out of the gate non tuning wise, we have done a few of these swaps. You will need the 8.1 core support and radiator, its totally different than the 6.0. But if you are running turbos and heat exchanger or air/air you could fab it all up.

The GEN 3 0411 ecm is a great ecm for that kind of build. I have done many forced induction setups with that ecm and never had an issue. Running a custom OS will be key to allow multi Bar map sensor and proper fuel/timing control. You will also need to ditch the MAF and run speed density but the custom OS will allow that will full spark table control.

Are you keeping the stock 8.1 intake and throttle body?
    yeah rad outlets are bigger but i will retain the 6.0 rad for now and use the newer electric fans. I also have 2 1500 with 8.1 swaps. IT will be stock then modfied intake and tb etc to show people the gains from everything.

Cool, what intake do you run for the modified? Raylar?

With forced induction how much does the new intake help on the 8.1?

Electronic Ignition!
    Cool, what intake do you run for the modified? Raylar?

With forced induction how much does the new intake help on the 8.1?
    Well i own a raylar intake and i custom made one. but porting a stock intake is the best bang for your buck

My raylar before the 92 mm tb swap

my first attempt at turbo manifold what is on my silver truck now

silver truck
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksjeqf5wxj...50.30.jpg?dl=0

Custom intake etc on silver truck
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq9q3u76qs...07.59.jpg?dl=0

You have a shot of a ported one?

Electronic Ignition!
    You have a shot of a ported one?
    bunch on my FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556016757949905/

Cool, requested access. Thanks

Thanks for the add. The intake porting is awesome, you have any idea on gains? If raylar would hurry and get the whipple setup going I bet the owner of the swap we are in the middle of would buy one.

Electronic Ignition!
    pulled my tune now i need 2001 8.1 info to convert this file

What file format you need?

Electronic Ignition!
    got it i think let ya know in a day or 2 LOL

Fuel Injected!
    I am getting ready to buy one of those ~$2500 8100 vortec's on ebay. Used engine that comes with the PCM.

I'm also swapping this to a nv4500 in an old Jeep.

What equipment do I have to buy in order to make this thing run? I've got an old APU moates for GM 7747 ECM and have messed with that for years. Guess I'm looking for a starter thread that shows all the stuff I need to buy in order to run a stock 8.1 in a non emissions jeep.

These are 0411 or newer multiport not TBI. You would need EFI Live, HP, Cats OBD2......
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 05-27-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I am getting ready to buy one of those ~$2500 8100 vortec's on ebay. Used engine that comes with the PCM.

I'm also swapping this to a nv4500 in an old Jeep.

What equipment do I have to buy in order to make this thing run? I've got an old APU moates for GM 7747 ECM and have messed with that for years. Guess I'm looking for a starter thread that shows all the stuff I need to buy in order to run a stock 8.1 in a non emissions jeep.
    if you want stock then the stock pcm with vats deleted is all you need you can find them for less then that as well