Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with bin file

Electronic Ignition!

Angry Help with bin file

I am trying to read the bin on the 7730 that is running a 350 TPI in a fiero I purchased. It is running rich (smell fuel at start up, black smoke, etc) and I want to see what the parameters are associated with afr. Previous owner indicates chip was reprogrammed by someone at some point. EGR has been deleted.

I'm a newbie at this but have tunerpro, winflash (trial), and an aldl cable. I'm not sure I can use winflash to read the bin since it has a separate memcal.

I recorded some data and included it here.

Thanks for your replies.
    Last edited by pardegt; 04-25-2015 at 09:12 PM.

To read the bin file on the 7730, you will have to have a chip programmer such as a Moates Burn2 and a memcal adapter such as a Moates HDR1. If the memcal has been modified with a flash chip, these two pieces are all you need. If your memcal still has the UV erase type EPROM, it is much easier to start tuning if you have the adapter in the third link. I will try to look at your log tomorrow.

https://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pr....html?cPath=94
    https://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-header-p-52.html
    https://www.moates.net/gp1-package-g....html?cPath=64

Hope this helps
    Last edited by sturgillbd; 04-26-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Left out tuning

I just loaded and played your datalog. Are you sure this is a 7730 ECM. If so, what is the 4 letter BCC code on the memcal? ( ie AUJP?)

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks sturgillbd. I will check on the memcal for the code...I take it has this printed on it? The ECM is one the previous owner installed from spareECM.com and it clearly says it is a 7730 on a case sticker. They were having a lot of codes thrown with the original Fiero ecm so they pulled their burned prom and put it in this 7730 they purchased thinking it might help...it did not.

They then put in a painless wiring harness thinking the spliced up one from the transplant tpi might have developed a short but issues still remain.
    Last edited by pardegt; 04-28-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Does the check engine light flash really fast when the key is turned on? If so, it is a problem with the program on the memcal. Pull codes by bridging A and B pin on ALDL and count code flashes on the Check engine light with key on engine off. It may be in limp mode and it will run pig rich in limp home mode. Look for a 51 code. Here is the list of DTC codes http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/90-91_578/

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks, I'll check...it has an aftermarket check engine light next to the aldl connector.

Here's a pic of the memcal and ecm. Appears it is an AXCN memcal which is what I believe came on the stock vette 91 tpi and is what the previous owner said this tpi is from .

Attachment 8939

Attachment 8940
    Last edited by pardegt; 04-28-2015 at 04:00 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Strange...the only code I get is 12 over and over.

Code 12 is No distributor reference pulses. It won't have reference pulses until you try to start or is running. When the engine is running, does the Check engine light come on? If the light comes on, then shut off engine and pull codes. If you pull the battery terminal, any stored codes will be lost. I will try to view your log again this eve.

Just double checked your log again. I had a brain fart the other eve and had loaded the wrong adx file. The log showed no error codes. The log you posted was short and was in open loop. Run the engine until it gets up to operating temp then start another datalog. Can the vehicle be driven around and get up to some highway speeds? If so, it will be good to see some different load conditions on the engine in the log.

Electronic Ignition!
    Sure, I will take it out in the next day or two and post a log then. Thanks.

Electronic Ignition!
    Here's a pretty good log...18 minutes worth. I started as I left the gas station and drove it to the outskirts of town and then on the highway. At about the 9:40 mark, I open it up and then get it up to highway speeds for a bit.

Thanks for taking a look for me. I'm curious what you find and the process you go about to evaluate.
    Last edited by pardegt; 04-30-2015 at 06:43 AM.

Ok. I just viewed your latest log and here is what your BLM history looks like. You may want to read this thread and it will explain what you are looking at. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial Remember 128 = no fueling correction. Below 128, ECM is pulling fuel because it is rich. Above 128 ECM is adding fuel because it is lean. You can take your logs, play them and use the Show History Tables under Acquisition in Tuner Pro. With these tables you can copy the data into the spreadsheet here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-8D to correct your VE tables for fueling. Also at WOT, the ECM goes open loop and the BLM is locked at 128. You have to use a Wideband O2 to log Wide open throttle AFR. You could then program a chip with the corrections to the VE table and log again. As EagleMark would say "Rinse and repeat"

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks sturgillbd. I really appreciate the guidance. I will take follow your instructions and see if I can improve the VE tables (I just looked up VE to understand the concept). Once I improve them, how critical is it to capture AFR at WOT as I don't know when I will get a wideband O2?

So, based on your knowledge and my log info, is there any certainty that the memcal is incorrectly programmed versus there being a mechanical issue causing the condition?

Again, thanks much for your help.
    Last edited by pardegt; 05-01-2015 at 06:02 AM.

At WOT the true afr will not be known without a wideband. It just looks like it is overall rich except in the 2000 rpm and 30-40 map cells. Have you got a burner and adapter yet? From the looks of the memcal, it appears to be stock unless they have peeled the sticker, UV erased and put the sticker back. If you could read your memcal and post the bin file, we could compare it to a stock bin and see what has been changed if anything. Is the engine stock or has it had a cam change etc? Has the fuel pressure regulator been changed to an adjustable one? Is the fuel pressure in spec? Does it have stock injectors? There are several variables there that have to be known before any kind of assumption can be made. There is a ACXN bin in the $8D thread it can be compared to after you read the bin your memcal. One thing to make sure of is no vacuum leaks. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks on runners, plenum, throttle body etc. Check all vacuum hoses etc. Is the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator etc.

Electronic Ignition!
    I have not picked up the burner or adapter yet as I was not sure how far I could take this on my own. I also thought the chip had been reprogrammed from what the previous owner told me so I was unsure about the second adapter you listed above. From what I have learned, if I can grasp all the related info, I can burn a better chip that is more specific to the car than paying some one else. I have read good reviews about a local shop here where I live that has this experience but haven't contacted him yet.

The previous owner provided me the this info.

Originally, he had the engine carbed, but felt it needed more so the TPI and cam were added. Still not feeling it was up to par, the heads were then added. He indicated it did run fine in the past but it had been in storage (2007-2012) and when he took it out a few years ago it starting running rich. The gas tank and fuel system were cleaned and the TPS replaced due to a cracked housing. The painless wiring harness was put it thinking the spliced in corvette one had a short but that did not help.

350 built by local engine builder .040 over
    Pistons and compression ratio unknown
    Comp cam p/n 12-402-4 (212 intake, 218 exhuast at .050, 114 lobe sep)
    Dart Iron Eagle 10120010 heads (72cc, 180cc intake)
    1991 Corvette TPI with TPIS throttle body
    Painless wiring harness
    EGR delete

I checked the MAP sensor and found a brief dead spot so replaced it but that did not help either. Vacuum is a bit low at 15-18 so I did a smoke test and the only place I saw any was coming out was the center of the TPIS throttle body between the plates...normal? There was also a little around the throttle linkage so maybe an o-ring or seal needs to be replaced there. The fuel pressure is at 40 with pump on, 38 at idle, and slowly bleeds off with the pump off (around 5-10 after 5 minutes)...normal I believe. I don't know what the injectors are, previous owner thought stock so I'm guessing they are 19 or 22lb. They are gray bodied with no markings so maybe Multecs? I thought maybe the fuel regulator was the culprit but there is no fuel that shows up in the connected vacuum line. I have an adjustable holley waiting to go in.
    Last edited by pardegt; 05-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.