Thread: 8.1's are my passion

Electronic Ignition!

8.1's are my passion

I run a FB group about 8.1's and a new member told me about here. I got 4 trucks i am constantly tinkering with and paying some other person to tune them can get expensive.

1992 s10 ls1 turbo t56, 2000 1500 short bed std cab 8.1 with 5 speed, 2004 1500 short bed std cab turbo 8.1 with t56 and a 2001 2500 hd tow pig getting an 8.1 and nv4500 to pull my 35 foot trailer and build turbo kits for other 8.1 owners.

Which computer do you use for the 8.1 fuel injection?

dave w

LS1B for sure.

8.1s are fun......
    Attachment 8866

Attachment 8867

Tuned a bunch here and in the middle of a swap right now. Jets boats here love them too.

How are the bottom ends holding up on the turbos?

Electronic Ignition!
    well the hd has 411 pcm the other 2 are running on 04 pcm's

So far the most i threw at the stock crank engine was 7 pounds and made 750 hp with a rear mount i got another engine with a crower crank plan on throwing 30 pounds at it soon

So the guy that told me about this place said there is an open source way to tune a 411 pcm. What do i need to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by xx_ed_xx View Post
    well the hd has 411 pcm the other 2 are running on 04 pcm's

So far the most i threw at the stock crank engine was 7 pounds and made 750 hp with a rear mount i got another engine with a crower crank plan on throwing 30 pounds at it soon

So the guy that told me about this place said there is an open source way to tune a 411 pcm. What do i need to do it?
    Is the 04 pcm's actually 2004 PCM's? The 411 is a very common number.

There might be some confusion on the open source for "tuning"? There is some information on using TunerPro for the 411 PCM http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...TunerPro-OBDII

When eaglemark passed away earlier this year, we lost the key member who was sharing information on the 411 PCM.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Is the 04 pcm's actually 2004 PCM's? The 411 is a very common number.

There might be some confusion on the open source for "tuning"? There is some information on using TunerPro for the 411 PCM http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...TunerPro-OBDII

When eaglemark passed away earlier this year, we lost the key member who was sharing information on the 411 PCM.

dave w
    Ugh, yeah i have used tunerpro before to tune mefi controllers. yes the other ones are newer pcms. So what do i need to purchase to be able to tune my 411? right now I am looking at 100 bucks to get a vin for my jet setup since i got the software for free and the guy used 3 vins. The last vin i used on my 04 pcm. Only other thing i need is a jet installer cd since i never got the cd with it. I have it running on an older pc but jet wont send me a cd unless i produce a receipt. Hopefully when i buy a new vin key they will be nice and give me a cd.

Pretty much my issue at the moment is the 411 pcm has a 6.0 4l80e tune in it and i need to put a stock 8.1 manual trans tune in it. I also have tow haul switch i heard you can have like a second tune on that setup or something to the effect i am still relatively virgin to stock GM tuning

Unfortunately in the past I had various pcms with correct tunes for 8.1 in them and i sent them to somebody they decided that instead of just changing the vins and changing it to run cable throttle body they would throw camaro tunes in them etc and never changed the vin. Which turned my simple projects into nightmares.

Right now i have 3 8.1's running on 04 style pcms with the same base tune. and my ls1 project as well. nice thing about that is i can save the tunes i get done on all my trucks and if i need to change tire sizes etc i can with the jet. Also they all use the same 02 sensors which was a problem i had before. But since the hd i just bought is an 01 and i really dont feel like fighting what i already have but irregardless i have a feeling it is going to be a pain.

Here is the flash tool link http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-p...ml#post5844169

you can find the xdf files here posted. The tool uses an AVT 852 cable though if all your doing is pre can stuff Westers Garage has an AVT 841 for $200 and needs a USB to serial converter. This is Chris from the FB group. Glad you joine here lots of good info for a DIY

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by roughneck427 View Post
    Here is the flash tool link http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-p...ml#post5844169

you can find the xdf files here posted. The tool uses an AVT 852 cable though if all your doing is pre can stuff Westers Garage has an AVT 841 for $200 and needs a USB to serial converter. This is Chris from the FB group. Glad you joine here lots of good info for a DIY
    Thanks. Yeah 01 isnt CAN i dont think

Gen 4 will be CAN, 8.1 is gen 3. The 852 will work.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Gen 4 will be CAN, 8.1 is gen 3. The 852 will work.
    Arent like 05 up can?

Depends on ECM. There are no true CAN 8.1s that I am aware of.

Running forced induction like that wouldn't you want to just run a Custom OS from EFI or HP? That way you get full definition in the timing and fuel tables. I mean, half resolution works on a stock OS but isn't ideal.