Thread: 95 F-body Fuel Pump with 95 B-Body Engine/Tank

Carb and Points!

95 F-body Fuel Pump with 95 B-Body Engine/Tank

I'm new to this forum, but was hoping for some help from the experts here.
    I'm building a 37 Buick Roadmaster using a 95 Roadmaster LT1 donor car.
    Looks like I can fit the 95 Fuel tank, but I would like to upgrade the fuel pump.
    From pictures on the internet, it appears the B-body fuel pump does not have a return line that feeds into pump can. (See 1st picture).
    Have read that it is recommended to keep B-body gas tank 1/3 full to keep fuel pump cool.
    The F-body fuel pump appears to have return line feed into the pump can which would cool the pump. (See 2nd picture)
    1) Can anyone confirm that these pictures are typical of the fuel pumps found on these cars?
    2) Does the F-body gas just spill out of the top after it is forced into the pump can?
    3) Does anyone know if I could swap put the B-body pump assy for a F-body?
    Thanks

There's 3 lines on that B-body pump assembly picture, feed, vent and return. I'm not sure what the 4th line on the F-body pump assembly is for, other than being an additional vent possibly.

IIRC, the return tube on the Body assembly is also support for the pump, where that spring is wrapped around in the picture. This is common, to get the return end down into the fuel to eliminate or at least reduce aeration, and reduce parts cost. Using the return tube to also support the pump is just clever engineering.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    There's 3 lines on that B-body pump assembly picture, feed, vent and return. I'm not sure what the 4th line on the F-body pump assembly is for, other than being an additional vent possibly.

IIRC, the return tube on the Body assembly is also support for the pump, where that spring is wrapped around in the picture. This is common, to get the return end down into the fuel to eliminate or at least reduce aeration, and reduce parts cost. Using the return tube to also support the pump is just clever engineering.
    1) So on the B-body the return fuel goes down the tube into the can?

2) Does it then spill out of the top of the can?

Thanks

I don't recall the details of the B-Body assembly specifically, but some will fill the pump reservoir (too make sure it stays full even at low fuel levels), some will pour out under it.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I don't recall the details of the B-Body assembly specifically, but some will fill the pump reservoir (too make sure it stays full even at low fuel levels), some will pour out under it.
    Thanks fro your help.

Fuel Injected!
    The return by itself won't fill the canister since any fuel that comes out of the return had to "leak" into the fuel pump area. You're simply looking at a baffled tank. A fuel pump canister with a little hose coming off the pump uses it to feed a venturi that actually does fill the canister.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    The return by itself won't fill the canister since any fuel that comes out of the return had to "leak" into the fuel pump area. You're simply looking at a baffled tank. A fuel pump canister with a little hose coming off the pump uses it to feed a venturi that actually does fill the canister.
    Thanks for the info. I have since decided to go a different route. Decided to move the gas tank in front of the rear axle for safety. After taking measurements, found an 02 Subaru WRX saddle style fuel tank should fit with a little modification to the floor under rear seat. Found a complete tank on Craigslist for $15. This tank also has a return line just like my 95 B-body and also has baffles. Since the WRX is often supercharged, there are aftermarket fuel pumps that have fuel flow sufficient for my LT1 engine. The only thing I have read may be a little tricky is there is a roller-over switch that prevents leaking in case of a rollover. Evidently the switch needs to be set up correctly so the car can be filled at the pump.

Last year the fuel pump went out in my '95 roadmaster, picked up the correct pump and it wouldn't fit....
    Ended up looking through pumps on the shelf until we found one that did fit, turned out to list as one for a '92 camaro.
    IIRC it looked like your '96 caprice' pic above with the '3rd gen' sock filter on it.