Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a tuner for a mild '93 corvette

Fuel Injected!

Need a tuner for a mild '93 corvette

Can anyone help get my tune right?
    It's a '93 corvette with an LT4 hot cam, 1.6 rockers, 3.75 rear gears, shorty headers, hollow cats, A.I.R delete, egr delete, evap delete. Everything else stock.
    I have TunerPro RT and can burn chips.
    I have an initial tune I paid for, but the guy that did that can't read my log files (even though he said he could before I paid him).
    I have and can make more tunerpro logs.

Can anyone help or recommend someone who can?

Or anyone want to look at my bin and log files and I can tune it myself?

Added bin file I was running before the cam. I don't think the tuner wants me to upload his bin file.
    Last edited by jay72; 05-14-2015 at 02:17 AM.

I'm interested in looking at your logs. I have limited experience with the LT1. Maybe I can help?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks dave. I put up the .adx I'm using and two .xdl logs.
    I'm up for any suggestions.
    Last edited by jay72; 04-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Do you have the stock 93 pcm bin file for the Corvette?

I have "some" experience tuning the 94-95 16188051 pcm's. I did my sons first 93 Z28, with a mild cam. (GM845)
    I used TunerCat for the 94-95 16188051 pcm's back then. And TunerPro for my sons 93 Z28. I am not a professional tuner, but think I may be able to help.

Post your stock bin for the 93 Corvette if you have it, and I'll see what I can do if you like.

The hotcam is not a difficult one to get really good. I ran that cam in my Formula for 90K+ miles, and loved it. If set up properly, and tuned well, the motor should make somewhere in the 400 hp neighborhood at the crankshaft.

Also have it now in my son's current 95 Z28, 6 speed car. I used TunerCat for that as well, mainly because it has the software built in for flashing the built in chip in the 16188051 through the aldl cable. (no removable chip to burn by itself)

The main difference being the 94-95 LT1 cars were maf systems, and yours is speed density correct? (map-no maf). My son's 93 Z28 was speed density.

Is your Corvette an automatic or 6 speed?
    Are you using the stock LT1 injectors?
    Did you install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
    Have you altered your air intake to the throttle body?

Keith
    04 Lightning Pullies n Tune CAI
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT
    93 K1500 383 LT1 with Low RPM 4x4 torque cam

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jay72 View Post
    Can anyone help get my tune right?
    It's a '93 corvette with an LT4 hot cam, 1.6 rockers, 3.75 rear gears, shorty headers, hollow cats, A.I.R delete, egr delete, evap delete. Everything else stock.
    I have TunerPro RT and can burn chips.
    I have an initial tune I paid for, but the guy that did that can't read my log files (even though he said he could before I paid him).
    I have and can make more tunerpro logs.

Can anyone help or recommend someone who can?

Or anyone want to look at my bin and log files and I can tune it myself?

I'm actually PISSED because it seems this guy bailed on me.
    I have a lot of experience with that cam in Vortec engines and older TPI engines. I can probably help you out as well. If you have a copy of the stock tune from the stock chip or post it so that I can find one, I could probably put together a startup tune that would be closer than stock.

Fuel Injected!
    The code is BDBK. It really is all stock except for whats listed.
    Stock speed density etc. Paper air filter and all. I didnt think it would be hard to find a very close tune for an old build like this....but it sure is. The tuner who I bought the first tune from just happens to not be able to read my log files. They are exactly what he said he needed.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Fuel Injected!
    Is your Corvette an automatic or 6 speed? Automatic
    Are you using the stock LT1 injectors? Stock
    Did you install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? No
    Have you altered your air intake to the throttle body? No

What I'm seeing from the driving.xdl file, the BLM History Tables show the engine is running rich. I would raise the Injector Flow from 23.8 Lb / Hr to 24.8 Lb / Hr to lean the entire BLM History table. Other adjustments could be needed.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 04-18-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    What I'm seeing from the driving.xdl file, the BLM History Tables show the engine is running rich. I would raise the Injector Flow from 23.8 Lb / Hr to 24.8 Lb / Hr to lean the entire BLM History table. Other adjustments could be needed.

dave w
    I'll give that a try and let you know what happens, thanks.
    The guy that modified my bin file doesn't want me to share it. But the ve tables are richer that the bin I was using above.
    What do you think about if I just put the VE tables back to stock?
    Last edited by jay72; 04-18-2015 at 04:17 PM.

I can completely understand wanting to keep a .bin file confidential.

The options are limited without the actual .bin file.

When the entire data log BLM History shows all the cells are rich, slightly increasing the injector flow setting is a good plan.

I usually wait until the BLM History shows some cells rich and some cells lean before adjusting the VE tables.

A data log with stock VE tables is an option worth trying, who know what the results will be?

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 04-18-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I'll give that a try and let you know what happens, thanks.
    The guy that modified my bin file doesn't want me to share it. But the ve tables are richer that the bin I was using above.
    What do you think about if I just put the VE tables back to stock?
    I need a memcal to "test", send it to me and I will send it back when I am done "testing" it if you really want to know what is on it.

I have found over the years the people who really don't want the file shared, are the ones trying to hide something.

I would recomeend NOT broad brushing the injector size to bring the BLM values back into the area, atleast not without a wideband. The LT4 cam makes quite a bit less vacuum than the factory cam and around idle through part throttle it will tend to run rich. However on the top-end it is making 30-40 HP more than the factory cam. If you increase the injector size in the calibration the higher RPMs will tend to lean out even more than they are. In many cases I see these early speed density TPI and LT1 engines with Hotcams dangerously lean above 4,500 rpm even with the factory fuel maps in place.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I can completely understand wanting to keep a .bin file confidential.

The options are limited without the actual .bin file.

When the entire data log BLM History shows all the cells are rich, slightly increasing the injector flow setting is a good plan.

I usually wait until the BLM History shows some cells rich and some cells lean before adjusting the VE tables.

A data log with stock VE tables is an option worth trying, who know what the results will be?

dave w

dave w
    Honestly do not feel that would be a good idea with this particular setup and cam. Its rich at part-throttle because the vacuum is a lot less than stock. It will be very lean at WOT, especially above 4,500 rpm where this cam really starts to breathe with headers/decent exhaust.

I downloaded the factory calibration last night and started working on a startup tune, but my meds for the sinus infection I have been fighting all week kicked in and I just went to sleep. When I get off work today, I will try to mess with it some more.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-18-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I put up a test tune for you to look at Jay72.bin

Fuel Injected!
    I put up a test tune for you to look at Jay72.bin
    I looked it over, saw some things I did not like. Such as the stoichiometric air fuel ratio set at 15.2:1. I started over with a fresh one. You are welcome to try it and datalog from it. Unless you have a wideband go easy on the loud pedal and keep the RPM down under 4,000 rpm until you get some datalogs done and we know where the WOT fuel sits.

Jay,

Fast355 is the man to get you where you need to be.
    I have read countless posts of his on this forum and others, his knowledge in pcm tuning is abundant and trustworthy.

I do know you can overcome some of the idle, part throttle issues of low vacuum with the timing tables in those mapped areas. That cam "can" be made to run "almost" as smooth as stock. My son's 95 LT1 hotcam setup when done idled smooth enough but he wanted to re tune the idle areas to bring back some of the nice lope it had.

My personal experience with this set up yielded more than 40 hp gain, however I did have some mild port and valve work done to my heads and also massaged the intake, add full length headers with supporting modifications. The LT1 heads and intake have a bit more flow than the stock L98 heads and intake too. That cam does shine above 4500 rpm, and this is where the "stock" TPI runners fail. It's good to see the larger, freer flowing runners you chose for your TPI!

Keith
    04 Lightning Pullies n Tune CAI
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT
    93 K1500 383 LT1 with Low RPM 4x4 torque cam