Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a tuner for a mild '93 corvette

Fuel Injected!
    I appreciate it Fast355, I'll try it out and let you know how it does.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jay72 View Post
    I appreciate it Fast355, I'll try it out and let you know how it does.
    If it runs halfway decent and you have a chance get a datalog for us.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    If it runs halfway decent and you have a chance get a datalog for us.
    I'll try to do that after work this week. I just installed my wideband.

As for logging, I drive a work truck all day so I'm just going to have to find the time to drive around in the car. I'm on call for work right now and about to head out in the truck

Fuel Injected!
    Heres a log file.
    Seems better at low to mid range, stronger acceleration.
    WOT is slower, wideband shows 11.1:1
    I did lower the idle a little, changed tcc lock/unlock.

I'm thinking of switching to heated 02's.
    Last edited by jay72; 05-14-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Heres a log file.
    Seems better at low to mid range, stronger acceleration.
    WOT is slower, wideband shows 11.1:1
    I did lower the idle a little, changed tcc lock/unlock.

I'm thinking of switching to heated 02's.
    I fattened the VE table at WOT higher RPM up to what I felt was safe for a startup tune and left the PE fuel multipliers stock.. That being said with the air/fuel at 11.1 to 1 it can lean out quite a bit and still be safe. Can probably find another 20hp in leaning it out to a safe level. I will look over the log and send you one with the PE fuel multiplier set for about 12.5 around peak torque at 4,000 and about 13.2 at peak HP about 5,800. Once you log that and let me know what the wideband is reading the VE tables can be worked a little. I retarded the timing a couple of degrees up top as well as I didn't want to go crazy without knowing the WOT air/fuel ratio. Lean + Timing = BOOOM!

Fuel Injected!
    I fattened the VE table at WOT higher RPM up to what I felt was safe for a startup tune and left the PE fuel multipliers stock.. That being said with the air/fuel at 11.1 to 1 it can lean out quite a bit and still be safe. Can probably find another 20hp in leaning it out to a safe level. I will look over the log and send you one with the PE fuel multiplier set for about 12.5 around peak torque at 4,000 and about 13.2 at peak HP about 5,800. Once you log that and let me know what the wideband is reading the VE tables can be worked a little. I retarded the timing a couple of degrees up top as well as I didn't want to go crazy without knowing the WOT air/fuel ratio. Lean + Timing = BOOOM!
    I do appreciate your help. It helps to see what changes you make and what happens, I can learn from that.

Fuel Injected!
    I do appreciate your help. It helps to see what changes you make and what happens, I can learn from that.
    Repost the newest .bin with your idle/tcc changes.

Also your 02s should be heated on the LT1 IIRC.

Fuel Injected!
    You will either have to paste in your idle and TCC changes or paste in my new VE tables and PE% change tables. I used the BLM histogram and averaged both banks to help dial in the idle/low speed VE table. The PE% change was commanding a PE air/fuel ratio of around 11.2:1 at WOT. I leaned it out to 12.5 around peak torque and 13:1 up top. I also noticed your trans seems to shift early on the 2-3 shift at WOT. Under 5,000 rpm. The 93 F-car I messed with would shift at 5,600-5,800 on the money. Are you sure the TV cable is adjusted properly? Also check to make sure the correct governor is installed. Finally the 700r4s are bad about a condition where the throttle valve spring gets weak called short spring syndrome. SSD or an improperly adjusted TV cable could cause transmission failure much sooner than it should. Has it always shifted that early?
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-22-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    You will either have to paste in your idle and TCC changes or paste in my new VE tables and PE% change tables. I used the BLM histogram and averaged both banks to help dial in the idle/low speed VE table. The PE% change was commanding a PE air/fuel ratio of around 11.2:1 at WOT. I leaned it out to 12.5 around peak torque and 13:1 up top. I also noticed your trans seems to shift early on the 2-3 shift at WOT. Under 5,000 rpm. The 93 F-car I messed with would shift at 5,600-5,800 on the money. Are you sure the TV cable is adjusted properly? Also check to make sure the correct governor is installed. Finally the 700r4s are bad about a condition where the throttle valve spring gets weak called short spring syndrome. SSD or an improperly adjusted TV cable could cause transmission failure much sooner than it should. Has it always shifted that early?
    The transmission has always shifted too early in my opinion. It is the original trans with the vin stamped on it, it was rebuilt at some point before I got the car, I've had it out and went through it, installed a transgo 2&3 kit, modified the governor weights, etc. I've built a few 700R4's usually modify the governor to get the shift points set, but on this car getting the cover back on is a nightmare and I haven't finished tuning the governor.

Fuel Injected!
    Repost the newest .bin with your idle/tcc changes.

Also your 02s should be heated on the LT1 IIRC.
    They are factory one wire sensors, I replaced them approx 2500 miles ago.

Fuel Injected!
    They are factory one wire sensors, I replaced them approx 2500 miles ago.
    I guess I am just so accustom to playing with the last of the TBI and later LT1s that have factory heated sensors.

You do have a weird BLM split that could be numerous things. You could have a small exhaust leak before or near the 02 sensor or perhaps a vacuum leak at the injector O-rings. I saw BLM value splits of up to 10 on the Left and Right bank at any given time. It was still running a bit rich at part throttle, 108 BLM in places with the Integrator bottomed out at 70ish but I like to limit what the PCM can pull, unlike whoever set the minimum BLM to 80 in your other .BIN. A couple more datalogs and revisions should smooth that out.

Fuel Injected!
    The transmission has always shifted too early in my opinion. It is the original trans with the vin stamped on it, it was rebuilt at some point before I got the car, I've had it out and went through it, installed a transgo 2&3 kit, modified the governor weights, etc. I've built a few 700R4's usually modify the governor to get the shift points set, but on this car getting the cover back on is a nightmare and I haven't finished tuning the governor.
    Roger that! Honestly for that very reason I put a 4L60E into the 90 TBI F-car I was working on and used a 95 TBI truck computer to run it.

Not sure if the 93 Corvette is the same as the 93 Z28, but my son's 93 had single wire O2's.
    Last edited by bybyc5; 04-22-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    04 Lightning Pullies n Tune CAI
    96 Formula WS-6 m6 383 LE3-Heads/GM847/N2O/ Ford 9" 4:33/Sus Work/Stickies/TunerProRT
    93 K1500 383 LT1 with Low RPM 4x4 torque cam

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by bybyc5 View Post
    Not sure if the 93 Corvette is the same as the 93 Z28, but my son's 93 had single wire O2's.
    Probably so, did not realize GM kept the sensors unheated that long. The TBI/CPI trucks switched in 91-93ish depending on application. Then again my brother has a 99ish Sunfire with the 2.2 and it has a single wire 02.

Generally speaking the single wire should be ok in a shorty header, but it could never hurt to have a heated sensor with the cooler exhaust temps from all the additional surface are and thinner metal.

I noticed that the Vette does not appear to use the a/c temperature input. The OP might add a wire from his 0-5 volt output on his wideband and input it into the A/C Evaporator temperature pin used of the F-body version of the PCM. Then post up the transfer function included with the wideband instructions to convert voltage to AFR. It would give the datalog wideband air/fuel mixture capability.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-22-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    After disconnecting the battery and swapping chips is there a certain amount of run time to drive the car before logging?
    That log file is the second time I started the car.

Also about getting the wideband onto the log file, I did that with hptuners on my '02 camaro using the egr wire
    I looked at doing it with this car and tunerpro but it looks like all the user add on parameters or whatever they're called are used up by whatever communicates with the ccm.

Is there any other way. The other guys bin runs great at wot, your 1st one runs great at low and mid. Haven't tried the new one yet.