Thread: 4.9 (ford 300) I6 conversion

Electronic Ignition!

4.9 (ford 300) I6 conversion

Hello,
    I am making headway with my education, but it is slow. I am using the gm 1227747, and a hacked bin and xdf file from a chevy 5.0 tbi with non-electric controlled automatic transmission. I don't have an engine built yet, so I am just playing with Tuner-Pro to get used to it. Here is what I have changed so far, let me know if I my intended purpose will be achieved.
    I changed the cylinder numbers to six
    Disabled the egr by maxing out the temp, and putting a zero in the max tps to allow egr on.
    Disabled closed loop (I think) by maxing the closed loop closed tps threshold. (I want an open loop only system, due to o2 sensor foulage problems with leaded fuel)
    Disabled highway cruise by maxing out min coolant temp
    I am guessing that BLM works only in closed loop, so it should be disabled.
    Changed engine start up rpm to 800
    Disabled knock by maxing out min rpm enable

Trying to figure out Idle RPM in open loop adjustment, all I can find is tps position in park/neutral, and out of park/neutral...

I also will be getting an affordable fuel injection kit for this engine, so I may be able to read one of their proms and modify it. Not sure if theirs is hacked or not though. Oh what a learning curve, my head hurts...

I think starting with a 4.3 V6 .bin file might be a better plan than starting with a V8 .bin file.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I suppose that ignition timing could be an issue with the V8 bin, my thought was the displacement was closer. I'll look at the 4.3.. Thanks.
    Chris

I think adding displacement to the V6 .bin file will get you very close.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Pardon my ignorance, but the only way I see to do this is to modify the base pulse width. Is this correct? I really do appreciate the information you share with me. I'm pretty excited to actually put this plan into motion.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Badpliers View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but the only way I see to do this is to modify the base pulse width. Is this correct? I really do appreciate the information you share with me. I'm pretty excited to actually put this plan into motion.

Chris
    That is correct. The picture below shows the BPW for a 4.9 liter engine using 61 Lb Chevy 350 TBI injectors.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Awesome. I calculated it using the 4.3 injectors and changed the bin. I might bump up to 5.0 injectors if I have a fueling issue. Would I get better atomization if I bumped up the fuel pressure and left the bpw the same? I think I might have some issues with fuel puddling in single barrel adapter.

Or would it be best to leave the bin stock for the 4.3 until I have a running engine, and see what happens. The volumtric efficiency of the 4.9 might just be bad enough for it to be about right. I'll use the o2 sensor and try to get an average added values on blm then work on the tables to get a good estimated open loop mode program. This should be fun.

Chris
    Last edited by Mr Badpliers; 04-13-2015 at 03:39 AM.

I think there might be an upper limit on BPW? I think it would be a good plan to keep the BPW in the 150 range? Most V8's have BPW of about 135, yet the 4.3 seems OK with a BPW of 184.

Ideally, I like to see the VE table with low numbers not much lower than the low 40's with the high VE table numbers not much higher than the low 90's.

Ideally, I like to see injectors running at or near stock fuel pressures.

Personally, I favor the newer TBI computer 16197427 (1993 ~ 1995) with red / blue connectors for a project like yours. The 1619727 computer uses actual injector flow Lbs / Hr and actual displacement parameter, not a BPW. The 16197427 computer is 8192 Baud rate, about 50 times faster than the 1227747 crawling along at 160 Baud.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Is the 16197427 one of the ecm's that accept the G1 memory adapter?

Chris

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, it is. Make sure you add a ZIF socket to make things easy.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok... Let me see if I am understanding more. If I use the 16197427, the G1 adapter, moates ostrichII, tunerview and aldl cable, I can datalog, make changes on the fly and see the results, watch my blm in closed loop, and get a pretty solid open loop control, then save the bin. Then I can use a burnII, or similar to make new proms. Can tunerview RT be used for all of this? Or will I need a few different pieces of software? You guys have been an awesome help in all this, as it is not a small amount of information to process.

Chris

The Moates Ostrich 2.0 can be connected directly to the G1 Memory Adapter Board. The Ostrich 2.0 will allow .bin changes with the vehicle running using TunerPro RT software to upload the changes into the Ostrich 2.0. The Ostrich 2.0 can be left connected to the 16197427 for long term use, which could eliminate the need for the Burn 2.

One last piece of information about the 16197427 ... The 16197427 requires using a Vehicle Speed Sensor, 2000 pulses per mile.

dave w