Thread: 7427 $0D. With bpsa need advice

Fuel Injected!

7427 $0D. With bpsa need advice

Hello I have a 7427 $0D bpsa.
    As I understand it this chip came from a Van with 4l60e 3.42 gearing
    I have a 79 transam that I'm converting to Tbi. The gearing is 3.08. Will bpsa work with this gearing or can I change it with TPv5?

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that there wouldn't be too much difference in the MEMCAL as far as gearing goes. It's probably just shift point stuff which you'll want to tune anyway. You'll use a DRAC or VSSB to calibrate the VSS signal for proper speed with your gears and tires.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    great info thanks I saw a large list of bins in a post here, so I could burn a chip with 5.7 and 3.08 gears reguardless of my current stock bin correct?

Fuel Injected!
    Correct, and you'll be much better off in the long run once you get the tune right.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    exellent thank you

Electronic Ignition!
    I'm not sure if your just curious about the bins you mentioned being compatible or not or your actually interested in tuning the shift points for the different gear ratio. I recently started spending time trying to tune my shift tables as my .bin was originally setup for when my truck was stock with stock stall and much lower gearing. I now have a 2600 stall and 4:11 rear. I spent some time doing trial and error changes with some bad results and some ok results. After doing some searching here I found an old thread where someone mentioned a program someone made and posted on hptuners website for tuning gm transmission shift tables. I downloaded and it gave it a shot it wont let you copy the tables directly over to tunerpro I had to manually enter everything but WOW they made a huge difference everything is on point and my truck drives so much better I was pretty shocked. The program lets you input your tire size, stall converter, rear gear ratio, and desired WOT shift rpm and then it calculates the tables. The program is called bluecat transmission tuning software. I realize that it's an obd II forum but everything I've read says that the 4l60e and 80e tuning has stayed very similar between OBD I and OBD II.

Here's a link to the forum thread explaining it and it has a link to the software download on the first post of that thread.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...Table-Software
    Last edited by whatif3387; 04-09-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif3387 View Post
    I'm not sure if your just curious about the bins you mentioned being compatible or not or your actually interested in tuning the shift points for the different gear ratio. I recently started spending time trying to tune my shift tables as my .bin was originally setup for when my truck was stock with stock stall and much lower gearing. I now have a 2600 stall and 4:11 rear. I spent some time doing trial and error changes with some bad results and some ok results. After doing some searching here I found an old thread where someone mentioned a program someone made and posted on hptuners website for tuning gm transmission shift tables. I downloaded and it gave it a shot it wont let you copy the tables directly over to tunerpro I had to manually enter everything but WOW they made a huge difference everything is on point and my truck drives so much better I was pretty shocked. The program lets you input your tire size, stall converter, rear gear ratio, and desired WOT shift rpm and then it calculates the tables. The program is called bluecat transmission tuning software. I realize that it's an obd II forum but everything I've read says that the 4l60e and 80e tuning has stayed very similar between OBD I and OBD II.

Here's a link to the forum thread explaining it and it has a link to the software download on the first post of that thread.
    I am probably the one that recommended that software. I have been using it with TBI, LT1 and OBDII GM stuff with really any transmission option with good results.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I am probably the one that recommended that software. I have been using it with TBI, LT1 and OBDII GM stuff with really any transmission option with good results.
    Actually I believe it was you fast355. I spent a good deal of time searching the forums for 4l60e trans tuning information and couldn't find very much. But I did find an older thread here mentioning the blue cat software. Thanks for sharing that it's been very helpful. I was initially just making small changes in certain areas mainly trying to tune for WOT. That software allowed me to do the tables all at once, I may need to come back and fine tune a few things but it saved me a ton of time.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif3387 View Post

Thanks a million you probably saved me,some,heartache I have a 79 firebird with a
    383 stroker 454 Tbi #90 injectors 30psi spring
    built 4l60e 2600-2800 stall converter 3.08'gears

i wanted to just tweet a stock 5.7 bin with 3.08 gears I figured I would have less hassle from the transmission that way but if II can use that program I can squeeze some,extra torque out of the driveline

Fuel Injected!
    I have the burn 2 and chips,from,Moates can I tune transmission/engine data on the same ,chip? And is that program your referring to compatible with tuner pro v5?

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes everything is on the same chip engine and trans. Once you setup the bluecat program and it generates the tables they're laid out the same as far the columns and rows resolution. The thread I linked explains some things and in the bluecat program if you hover your mouse over it a window will pop up explaining it's use. If need be I can post a screen shot of the tables I used in my .bin. The only thing I changed is the WOT "kick down" mph and rpm tables normal-hot-cold tables... and the cruise mph and tcc lock/unlock mph normal-hot-cold tables. I believe I still need to mess with the WOT tcc lock/unlock tables but after my first test .bin with the other tables I mentioned I noticed a night and day difference. I didn't touch any of my line pressure or shift time tables as I don't know enough about them yet and I'm already running a shift kit so I believe they should be left untouched at least in my case.