Thread: LS1 Flash Chip Programming

Electronic Ignition!

LS1 Flash Chip Programming

Been trying to sort this out for a bit know. I'm trying to program a AB28F400 chip using a Willem GQ-3X Burner. Problem is actually not with burning the chip. I have verified the chip flashes properly. Can write the file, read the file and verify it is the same. Problem is once the chip is in the PCM I cannot communicate with scanner or with winflash. Can only bench test it as my engine is not running. What am I doing wrong? Chip is mounted to a PSOP44 PCB board kit from "chip-service.de" and the pcm has headers soldered to it. Solder is good. I've verified with VOM. I've also tried two different pcm's that I know work.

Fuel Injected!
    Are there others that have had success with this? What are you using to come up with the file to flash onto the chip and have you checked the offests? We use HPTuners for LSx stuff, no soldering, taking apart the PCM or even removing it from the vehicle required that way.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Electronic Ignition!
    I have downloaded some binary files and pulled a few from PCM's with the LS1 flash tool. Also have one that I pulled directly from a chip with the same GQ-3X. I have an AVT-852 Cable and tuner CATS but am experimenting with this. As for the file offsets I'm not sure what to use on that. That might be my issue. I noticed I had to byte swap the file I pulled from the chip so EFI live and tuner cats would recognize it. I've tried both ways when writing the chip but no go. I've set up A test PCM with headers so no soldering. Just pull the chip. Same header on the Willem posp44 adapter.
    Attachment 8812Attachment 8813

I have done it a thousand times.

What do you need to accomplish?

Electronic Ignition!
    I want to accomplish a successful flash. Any help on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Post the file you are flashing to the chip

Carb and Points!
    howed you go with the flash chip did you get it to work as I'm having pre much the same issue as your having tried few different bins and byte swapped both ways and still no go.

Electronic Ignition!
    Never had any luck. If you succeed I would appreciate info on what you did.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by john h View Post
    Never had any luck. If you succeed I would appreciate info on what you did.
    yer I worked myn out. I wasn't getting a proper read from original chip and wen I did I byte swapped when I shouldn't and didn't when I was ment to.. pretty much just read the chip byte swap it and try open it with etha older version of hp tuners or efi live as a bin file if it open with one those programs its all good to write to new chip, load it into programming software byte swap the same file u loaded into efi live and burn it to the chip I always burn them at a slower rate to help aid in no stuff ups and than u should be all good

Carb and Points!
    also I'm intrested in how you have done the removable chip on the pcm with the pad so close to each other have u got any better piks to share ?

Electronic Ignition!
    I used a interconnect board from here http://www.chip-service.de/product_i...0straight.html.
    No better pics as of now. Stuff is packed up....I'd have to dig it out.

Carb and Points!
    I just recently bought a PSOP adapter for my willem and having some similar issues.

I erased the flash chip, and programmed a good bin file I had read from tunercats. When I soldered the chip back to the board I am not getting any communication with the PCM thru winflash. Soldering looks fine.

I'm not sure of this byte swapping you speak of, is it necessary if the PCM had a original calibration or TC modified cal on it? Thanks

I answered you PM
    The byte swap is needed always to write a BIN that was read/edited using tuning software.
    Tuning software uses a binary format different than the one used when the chip is read with a external programmer.

If you read the chip from a working PCM with a programmer and you try to open it in TC it will not open. You need to byte swap it first.
    The opposite is also true. If you have a bin saved in TC/Winflash and write it directly to the PCM the write will complete without error but the PCM will not boot. You need to byte swap it before writing it.

Hope this answers your question

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the advice. I got it working. I wasn't byte-swapping when programming. Saved 3 PCMs!