Thread: HELP VSS WIRING

Carb and Points!

HELP VSS WIRING

need info on how to connect TBI wiring to the VSS on a 1986 k20 i am using a wiring harness from fuel ingection conection and not sure what wires on the vss to conect the wires from the haeness to

I'm thinking your 1986 K20 was originally carburetor? I think installing a VSS that is inline with the speedometer cable will work? Check out the VSS products from JTR: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm thinking your 1986 K20 was originally carburetor? I think installing a VSS that is inline with the speedometer cable will work? Check out the VSS products from JTR: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html

dave w
    yes it was carb and it has a factor vss probly for the cruise im just not sure what wires to conact the ecm wiring harness to

Fuel Injected!
    Your harness is set up for a VSS at the transmission tailshaft, but I would think that your VSS output is at the gauge cluster, correct?

Assuming that you bought a '7747 based harness, the pin at the ECM would be A10, but you'll have to do a continuity test to see which of the two wires at the VSS connector goes to that. If you have a single wire output from your gauge cluster, that would be the wire to connect it to. I'm guessing that the other wire on their connector is going to ground since I don't see a connector for a DRAC/VSSB in the photos on eBay. If it does have a DRAC/VSSB connector built in, it would be one of the pins there that would be connected to A10 instead.

I don't have any experience with the VSS output from the cluster, but I'm assuming that it will be compatible. If not, you'll have to go with the inline adapter that Dave W referred to. That's provided they're able to get more, I have one on order and they said it will take about a month. I've got about 12 more days to wait, but I'm hoping they come through since I haven't found anyone else who sells them anymore.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E