Thread: I have no idea what I'm doing

Carb and Points!

I have no idea what I'm doing

Hey! Like a lot of members here, I am about to dive into a project I don't really understand and don't want to make a ton of stupid mistakes right off the bat. I have bone-stock '89 K2500 wth a very fresh 700R4 (like 5 or 8K)and a VERY tired L05. My kid went and wrecked my wife's '99 Suburban with a recently rebuilt L31 (less than 50K) and I am planning to put that Vortec 5.7 in the '89. But..... computers!

I am pretty sure that I want to put a GMPP 12496821 TBI intake on the Vortec and try convince the '89 computer to play nice with it somehow. I'm here to try to figure out what to do with that part of it.

I assume that if I leave all the emissions stuff in there, and find a way to plumb exhaust to the EGR on the GMPP intake from the headers I want to put on that the computer won't care much or require reprogramming? I don't know.

I live in an area with no emissions regulations or inspections, so I guess I can delete the EGR and catalytic converters and sensors and stuff I want to and no one will tell me no, but the computer system will, I am sure, freak out (that's the technical term, right?). I hope to figure this out ahead of time so I don't get this installed and have it not run. Cheers!

Very doable, lots of people on here have done similar swaps. You will probably need most of the sensors, but you can delete the EGR without a problem. The other sensors are a bit more necessary. If you keep it TBI, the 89 ECM, most likely a 7747 running $42 mask will work with a little bit of modifications to the fuel tables and spark maps. Get an ALDL USB cable, download TunerPro RT, and do some data logging to fine tune it. Dave W, one of the moderators on this forum can certainly set you up.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!