Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Datalog 1987 TPI IROC with TurnerPro

Fuel Injected!

Trying to Datalog 1987 TPI IROC with TurnerPro

As the title says I'm trying to start off easy with just a datalog before any attempt of tuning is started. I've been working with a member on the Thirdgen.org site (and maybe this site) to learn how to complete a datalog. With his help so far I have purchased the Moates ALDL cable and resister box, I have installed TunerPro RT on my laptop and downloaded a $32B file from both this forum and directly from the TunerPro site. This is where the train runs off the rails.

So far I have not gotten beyond the step where I ask TunerPro to Start a Data scan. The box at the bottom changes from "DA: Not Connected" to "DA: Connecting" but that is it and nothing happens. I have checked the stupid stuff like wiggling wires and restarting the computer and car etc. I've also tried the $32B files from both sites and read over the FAQ's on TunerPro.

Through my contact on the Thirdgen forum this site and other research I have noted that the ECM on my IROC is "unstable" at best. Some have said it could be my HP laptop that uses Windows 7. Either way I'm stuck at the starting line wondering what I should try next. The idea of using "Datamaster" to datalog has also been floated to me but given how highly everyone seems to speak of TurnerPro I want to make this work. I should also note I'm starting with the IROC but I also plan to use TunerPro on my 1993 TBI GMC truck when I change that motor in a year or so.

Is there anyway that I can create a more "stable" interface between the IROC's ECM and TunerPro?

*** Mods I picked the GM EFI forum vs. the TurnerPro forum because I believe the IROC's ECM is the issue, if you think it should be moved feel free to do so, Thanks ***

I think Datamaster has a free trial version, if so give it a try.

I'm wondering what your "Device Manger" settings are for your com port?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I forgot to note that in the first post. So I've been in the Preferences and I have the Port Number set at "COM4". I only have COM3 and COM4 as options and when I "test for valid interface using settings" the COM3 shows an error and the COM4 says the cable is installed and working. When I first downloaded the software I also had COM1 but that has stopped showing up.

I've had to go into "Device Manager" and update the ALDL USB driver to get TunerPro RT to connect. I wonder if that is what is happening with your configuration.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Oops, "device manager" in windows. Not sure, I'll check today in the garage when I have the cable plugged in and report back. - Thanks

You've mentioned the bin child but have not mentioned what adx you're using. Make sure things is correct for your application. Also flip the 10k resistor switch to the 10k ohm posposition (for the IROC ECM).
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Six-shooter, thanks for the message I have switched the resistor to the 10k ohm position so I'm good there. Regarding the adx file I'm a little fuzzy as this is all very new to me. The file I downloaded was a $32B.ads file which I then converted in TunerPro RT when I selected "Import Definition" and it converted my ads file to a adx file. I also downloaded a 1227165.adx file but that is just sitting in a folder doing nothing right now.

It's because of good news but I never got to check the device manager idea today because my sister had a little baby boy so I spent some time with the family. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get out to the garage and get a handle on things for the device manager.

Thanks to all - George

Fuel Injected!

In the garage

I'm in the garage and I found some time to mess with the IROC and my computer. So the computer correctly recognizes that COM3 has the USB plugged in however there is a yellow "!" saying I need the driver. I asked the computer to search and it came up empty. I checked the Moates site and they have a link to get the driver but there is where it falls apart. I went to the link and it seems semi-clear which file I need for Windows 7 and I grabbed that file and dropped it in a folder I have for tuning on my desktop. I then asked the device manager to look for the file and tried to show it where the file is but the extension must be different than what is correct or I've downloaded the wrong file. I feel like I'm getting closer but still so far away.

Any thoughts on what driver I might need for the Moates cable.

Thanks

Maybe try running (run .exe) the Moates.net driver install directly from the website, with the ALDL cable plugged in to the computer.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Okay, plugging the ALDL cable made a difference on the driver install. (The yellow "!" is gone next to the USB icon in the device manager) It also appears in the device manager that the cable is plugged into and working in COM5 now. I checked in TunerPro RT and it says that COM 4 & 5 are functioning correctly but COM 3 is not, however I've tried to connect via all three COM ports and I still just get the pinkish "DA: Connecting" box in the bottom tool bar. I'm about to go in for the night to get dinner but I suppose I feel like I'm a little closer today.

It seems stupid but I guess I should just double check something... When I try to start the data acquisition I just have the key in the on position on the IROC, it's not running just on. Is that okay?
    Last edited by SKFengineer; 03-30-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Yes, you should be able to connect anytime the ignition is on. Sometimes this is used as a diagnostics for noise to see if a connection can be made with the engine off, if it won't while the engine is running.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Maybe you need to set the preferences like this screen shot?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave - I checked my preferences and there are a couple that are different than what you show. For example I don't have any of the "file associations" marked like you have on your image and second "table editor options" is set as Absolute rather than Diff. (edit-compare). Not sure if those changes will make a difference but I'll check in the garage tonight.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    I'm sounding like a broken record and I hate being a pest. Last night I made the suggested adjustments and asked TunerPro to once again connect to the IROC with no success. I know the ECM for this car is unstable but I'm still not sure if it's the car or the user (me) that is making this so tough. I have a friend nearby that used TunerPro RT for his Typhoon, he has offered to help but I won't be able to see him for a few weeks. In the mean time are there any other ideas or should I just give up on TunerPro for this car and try Datamaster?

Thanks

At this point, I suggest trying DataMaster to verify hardware. In the past, I've had good results with DataMaster.

dave w