Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back at it newbie tuning

Fuel Injected!

Back at it newbie tuning

Hello ,
    I only had a few weeks tuning before bad weather hit here in ohio .
    I have a a 93 chevy tbi $e6 350 4l60e that the blms are fairly dialed and 126 /130 and at wot it remains in closed loop and shows blms at wot at 126 100 %tps .
    It seems to loose some power even though the blm at wot is at 126 .Im tuning with a nb o2 for the time being and the truck runs poorly until closed loop too .Any help is very appreciated .Could I have it locked to closed loop somehow at wot ?

Maybe you can post a data log?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    When I stopped tuning when weather changed it was running poorly open loop but decent in closed and very poor wot .
    I had replaced the fuel pump just before I began the tuning learning curve and I had a local guy do the work due to not wanting to drop the gas tank in 25 degree weather in apt parking lot .
    After about 2 weeks of tuning with the new fuel pump at 25psi it died at a red light and I parked it soon after .Long story short I trouble shot it more then a dozen times until I found It had low fuel pressure and I turned out to be the rubber hose that attached to the fuel pump inside strainer acquired a small hole .
    I replaced the pump anyway and have the fuel pressure at 28psi now .
    Light throttle its real snappy and runs well but anything over 1/2 throttle its not snazzy .

I did play with the Injector flow rate some during this run .I was trying to get the near 100 range richer so it also richened up the lower cells some too .

Fuel Injected!
    OK I drove it some more tonight I reread a topic you helped a guy on dave on ae
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...=tables+vortec

I added [divided .980] to your figure on that thread to ae but he first few lines were apparently maxed out on that ].It did seem to help as its very drivable cold or warm now .
    It still isn't going open loop at wot .IM thinking this is the final piece of the puzzle
    Also I am going to get a wb o2 soon ,when I do were do I adjust for wot the ae /pe ?
    I really appreciate all the help you have given me so far on here you guys are lifesavers ,and my sons truck is going to kick but soon ..I am planning to install a mild roller cam in next month or so so ill be out tuning it back in some more .

Attached is a pic of the Off Idle BLM average, with AE / PE / Open Loop removed from the data log posted above.

Overall, the Off Idle BLM's are rich. The was not enough Closed Loop Near Idle data to be useful.

I used an Excel spreadsheet to "crunch" the data log. The BLM's averages (history tables) in TunerPro provides good information, the Excel spreadsheet has improved "filters" for Near Idle / Off Idle / AE / PE.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I had the blms much closer just before this log . I was adjusting the inj rate on the road to try and get it closer but I didn't get it done . Just before the end I adjusted the while ve off idle down 1 .980 . Is there a setting to look at for it not going open loop at wot ?

WOT should have Power Enrichment (PE) active, which will usually show the BLM's @128. I would look at the exported log file to see if PE is active at or near 100% TPS.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    A few issues im having is im lean at near idle app 900 rpm to 2000 at light throttle or decel .Mainly decel in second gear or higher .My blms go up to 150 on decel if I blip throttle even slightly it goes back 128 or richer but will decell until I stop at 130 to 150 .
    When I try to raise near idle ve or off idle ve it goes leaner .Everything I have tried to get this lean spot to richen up hasn't worked .

Another issue I had was I seen with vortec tbi the adx responds well to initial timing set to 10 degrees for easier starting so I reset it from 0 to 10 and edited the adx but it is going closed loop in park when hot and it never did that prior .
    It still stays closed loop at wot,
    but when I put it in park at idle it will go open loop hot .I cant figure out why it doesn't go to open loop at WOT.
    I can get the rich to go richer and leaner but the lean near idle and decel I just cant get a handle on .Would my aggressive timing table keep it lean no matter how much fuel I throw at it ?

I haven't figured out how to remove the pe /ae from export log yet .[Rookie]
    Last edited by zuk1972; 04-05-2015 at 04:28 AM.

There is a PE delay and a few qualifiers that have to be met before PE will become active. The delay is set high by default. Attached is a screenshot. Lower it to one or two seconds and it will probably show PE in the log.
    Brian

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    There is a PE delay and a few qualifiers that have to be met before PE will become active. The delay is set high by default. Attached is a screenshot. Lower it to one or two seconds and it will probably show PE in the log.
    Brian
    Thanks for your help ,there's no screen shot though.

I apologize. Here goes...

Fuel Injected!
    I am back at it again .I lowered the delay time like you showed to 15. it seemed to like it at WOT .
    I am still having a real lean condition when I lift off accelerator at speed .Then it also is lean just off idle .
    I have tried to increase both ve tables at off idle / near but it makes the lean condition leaner not richer .If I try to adjust the whole ve off idle leaner since it's rich everywhere else it gets leaner everywhere but especially at closed throttle at speed.
    Attached datalog below.I realize it is rich in many places but im trying to solve the lean condition first .ANY IDEAS? Thank you
    Last edited by zuk1972; 05-02-2015 at 06:17 AM.

I didn't mean to lower it to 15. In the previous post where I left off the attachment, I stated to lower it to one or two seconds. The screenshot was just showing the parameter location. Think about this, you push accelerator down while going uphill with a load on engine (vehicle pulling a trailer). Do you want to wait 15 seconds for PE to become active? There are other parameters for PE in the bin. If you select parameter category view in Tunerpro, it groups parameters together. Mouse over a parameter and some tips on use will show. See screenshot. There are parameters for bypassing the PE delay also

It will be late this eve or tomorrow after work before I will get a chance to look at your log. It will help if you post your bin.

If you want to try to solve this yourself. Use the parameter finder under tools in tunerpro and look at Deceleration Fuel cutoff and Deceleration enleanment. Your bin may be doing exactly as it is designed to do. Also look at your VE tables for off idle and near idle. Are the tables the same at the areas they overlap? See this thread for more info: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...eed-BLM-advice

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    I didn't mean to lower it to 15. In the previous post where I left off the attachment, I stated to lower it to one or two seconds. The screenshot was just showing the parameter location. Think about this, you push accelerator down while going uphill with a load on engine (vehicle pulling a trailer). Do you want to wait 15 seconds for PE to become active? There are other parameters for PE in the bin. If you select parameter category view in Tunerpro, it groups parameters together. Mouse over a parameter and some tips on use will show. See screenshot. There are parameters for bypassing the PE delay also

It will be late this eve or tomorrow after work before I will get a chance to look at your log. It will help if you post your bin.
    Thank you !
    Its $e6. 1993 c1500 350 2wd 373 gears with vortec heads , single plane intake , ultimate tbi mods , shorty headers, flowmaster muffler,vortec fuel pump, adj.fuel reg. set at 28psi
    the tps was new a year ago the cts is a month old , the o2 was new a few months ago , Ias was new a few months ago .
    i tried a mostly stock bin ( a few weeks ago to compare except fuel tables) and it had same lean spots at decel and just off idle which I never remember it doing last fall . Would a vaccum issue cause this or would it cause a rich condition ?