Thread: Hi

Carb and Points!

Smile Hi

Hello everyone. Thanks for having me. I like what I see here judging by limited reading I've done so far. I'll keep this short. About me: age 39 white male from north florida. Occupation: Truck driver. About my chevy: 1998 silverado 2wd Ext cab SB 5.7l v8 Bone stock except for tires and wheels 195000 miles. What I want to do to it: Well as I mentioned it does have 195+ on it so nothing to crazy. The good news is it runs like brand new (no really it does) I got scared when I bought it thinking the former owner put some kind of magic juice in the motor/trans to cover up the death rattles but nope 5000 miles later and it sounds smooth as Tennessee Whiskey. Interior is decent (carpet could use a good steam cleaning and the dash has a crack right in the center going from front to back. Body has a few dents and dings I swear these model Chevys were made of paper thin pot metal. (This is my third one and I'm pretty sure if you look at them the wrong way you'll dingem) anyway I love these trucks and I plan to fix this one up to my taste and drive the hell out of it. But first things first and I needed a place to start and hopefully I've found it here. I'll post some pics later. thanks again, I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Look forward to seeing your pics.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    cool. welcome

Carb and Points!
    Here's those pics I promised.

Is it me or is the 98 the bastard of the EFI world? I see alot of info on pre 98 and plenty on 99+. Maybe im not looking in the right place. Could someone point me in the right direction for 98 350 vortec engine tuning. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by ChuggaLuggaPop View Post
    Here's those pics I promised.

Is it me or is the 98 the bastard of the EFI world? I see alot of info on pre 98 and plenty on 99+. Maybe im not looking in the right place. Could someone point me in the right direction for 98 350 vortec engine tuning. Thx
    Nice looking pickup.

The 99 Vortec uses the "Black Box" L31 PCM, which can be upgraded to the '0411 LS1b PCM for better tuning options.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Nice looking pickup.

The 99 Vortec uses the "Black Box" L31 PCM, which can be upgraded to the '0411 LS1b PCM for better tuning options.

dave w
    Hi David thank you for your intuitive help you mentioned 99 but my trucks a 98 did you mean to say 98 also the 04 /11 ls1 pcm where would I find that and could you explain better tuning options just treat me like an infant with Down syndrome because I really don't know much about it yet also and my posting these questions in the correct place don't want to make any forum viewers angry yet hehe :-) by the way sorry about the oversized pictures they were all supposed to be like the first one I hit resize but it only resized the first picture so those viewing on your home PC sorry about the wallpaper.
    Last edited by ChuggaLuggaPop; 03-24-2015 at 04:23 PM.

The 98 also uses the "Black Box" L31 PCM.

The attached picture is a LS1b used from 1999 to 2007. The EFI Live system pictured is about $900 new! EFI Live and HP Tuners can be used to "Tune" the LS1b PCM, which is why some truck owners have elected to upgrade to the LS1b PCM. There were some changes to the LS1b PCM in 2003 that increased the memory size, so if you want to upgrade the 98 PCM look for a 2001 ~ 2002 LS1b. Below is a link on upgrading the "Black Box" to a LS1b PCM http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!
    Thx Dave, I viewed the link and pic you posted and wow this is quite a daunting task for someone at my experience level. I'm easing my way into it absorbing and processing as much information as I can before I actually start ripping things apart I don't want to and up with a steaming pile of goo in my engine bay. Also the 900.00 bucks for the EFI Live system may take a minute to put together, any suggestions on how to explain it to the wife? no? didn't think so