Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need MORE help with TunerPro

Fuel Injected!

Need MORE help with TunerPro

Need MORE help with TunerPro RT. Using Moates APU1 AutoProm on TBI Vortec. Went to emulate with ribbon cable to PCM with binary chip in APU1. Started and the engine runs, BUT Data Acq does not work. Says it is working but it is not. Don't know what is going on. Data Acq works with binary chip in PCM directly. Need suggestions. Please!

Fuel Injected!
    Need a step by step checklist to make certain the appropriate things are being done, in sequence to make certain that emulation can be performed with Data Acq and maybe data tracing. Still getting accustomed to TunerPro RT. Learning more each time trying to run the 454 TBI 350 Vortec on the engine run-in stand. Just got halted with Data Acq not working. Need HELP!

Using the APU1 as an Emulator (realtime changes)

The APU1 can be used as a real time chip emulator. It functions almost identically to the Ostrich/Ostrich2 products that we sell, using the same software and procedures.

1. Make sure the APU1 is connected to your PC and has a COM port between 1 and 8
    2. Make sure there is nothing in the ZIF socket. Emulation will NOT work reliably unless the ZIF socket is empty!!!
    3. Make sure the outer horizontal switch is ‘towards the USB port’ position. (APU1 mode. Other position is passthrough mode, identical to ALDU1). Emulation software will NOT be able to connect to the AutoPROM unless this switch is set correctly!!!
    4. Fire up TunerPro RT or EmUtility software. Your APU1 should be recognized and you should be able to upload a tune to it.
    5. If the APU1 is not recognized by software, try moving the mode selection switch again. Verify the the USB is being recognized correctly.

From the Moates website http://support.moates.net/troublesho...apu1-autoprom/

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    Using the APU1 as an Emulator (realtime changes)

The APU1 can be used as a real time chip emulator. It functions almost identically to the Ostrich/Ostrich2 products that we sell, using the same software and procedures.

1. Make sure the APU1 is connected to your PC and has a COM port between 1 and 8
    2. Make sure there is nothing in the ZIF socket. Emulation will NOT work reliably unless the ZIF socket is empty!!!
    3. Make sure the outer horizontal switch is ‘towards the USB port’ position. (APU1 mode. Other position is passthrough mode, identical to ALDU1). Emulation software will NOT be able to connect to the AutoPROM unless this switch is set correctly!!!
    4. Fire up TunerPro RT or EmUtility software. Your APU1 should be recognized and you should be able to upload a tune to it.
    5. If the APU1 is not recognized by software, try moving the mode selection switch again. Verify the the USB is being recognized correctly.

From the Moates website http://support.moates.net/troublesho...apu1-autoprom/
    Sure appreciate your posting suggestions. Did not know about item 2. The binary chip is in the ZIF socket. Somehow got the idea the chip needed to be there. Horizontal switch is set toward USB connection on APU1. As for item 1, with the binary chip in the PCM socket, the Data Acq works as it should. Will remove the chip from the ZIF socket, with TunerPro V5.x, the binary should auto load. The same for the ADX file and XDF files. With the Emulation working, is it possible to perform data tracing at the same time? Please advise. Thanks.

Usually you load your bin into the emulator, then enable emulation. When you open up the table or scalar and make a change, click update and the change is made realtime.
    I have not tried data tracing while emulating yet. I toyed with data tracing a few months ago before I bought my Ostrich. Here is a guide for data tracing by EagleMark in the Tunerpro forum.
    http://forum.tunerpro.net/viewtopic.php?t=2674

Hope this helps
    Brian

Fuel Injected!
    Usually you load your bin into the emulator, then enable emulation. When you open up the table or scalar and make a change, click update and the change is made realtime.
    I have not tried data tracing while emulating yet. I toyed with data tracing a few months ago before I bought my Ostrich. Here is a guide for data tracing by EagleMark in the Tunerpro forum.

Hope this helps
    Brian
    TunerPro RT version 5.x automatically loads the most recent binary, ADX and XDF when it starts up. The binary image loaded in TunerPro and connected to the APU1 AutoProm via the USB connector and then from the APU1 through the ribbon cable to the socket in the PCM. The engine is running off the binary image file as communicated through this path to the PCM. When making changes to table, scalar etc. the image is changed in the binary image resident in RAM on the computer and the PCM. Once the altered binary image is finalized, it can be saved to an updated binary image file on the computer. I will try removing the chip with the binary image from the APU1, to see if this allows Data Acq in TunerPro.

Rolly

Fuel Injected!

Hope this helps
    Brian
    For some unknown reason, TunerPro on the laptop got corrupted. Tried to load the altered binary file and TunerPro would not allow it. Reloaded TunerPro and erased chip and reloaded with altered binary file. Will try this all tomorrow.

Rolly

Auto loading of last BIN, XDF, ADX (ADS) has happened since the days of V4, maybe even V3 (it's been so long since I've used V3 I don't recall all of the features and what has been added since). This is also a selectable feature that is adjusted (selected) in the preferences menu.

Data Acquisition works while emulating provided the switches are set correctly with the AutoProm. It sounds like you may not be uploading the bin file to the APU1, and without that loaded the ECM will be running on LHM (Limp Home Mode) and data logging will not work.

When you have the APU1 connected, and the hardware is found with the bin loaded that you want to run off, hit the up arrow next to the hardware detect button in the tool bar, this will upload the currently loaded bin to the APU1 (Or if connected an Ostrich). Enabling emulation is done by clicking on the blue EPROM button farther to the right on the tool bar. This will allow changes to be loaded as you make them to the APU1.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

You also need to set the mask id byte to $AA to keep the ecm from verifying the checksum. I just looked back through your posts and you are running a 7427. Change the mask id from $0D or $0E to $AA in the bin to disable the checksum for emulation. Screenshot attached.

Brian

You also need to set the mask id byte to $AA to keep the ecm from verifying the checksum. I just looked back through your posts and you are running a 7427. Change the mask id from $0D or $0E to $AA in the bin to disable the checksum for emulation. Screenshot attached.

Brian
    Yes, this too.. I always forget to mention it and sometimes when I try to emulate with a new set-up. lol This little step makes a world of difference.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Auto loading of last BIN, XDF, ADX (ADS) has happened since the days of V4, maybe even V3 (it's been so long since I've used V3 I don't recall all of the features and what has been added since). This is also a selectable feature that is adjusted (selected) in the preferences menu.

Data Acquisition works while emulating provided the switches are set correctly with the AutoProm. It sounds like you may not be uploading the bin file to the APU1, and without that loaded the ECM will be running on LHM (Limp Home Mode) and data logging will not work.

When you have the APU1 connected, and the hardware is found with the bin loaded that you want to run off, hit the up arrow next to the hardware detect button in the tool bar, this will upload the currently loaded bin to the APU1 (Or if connected an Ostrich). Enabling emulation is done by clicking on the blue EPROM button farther to the right on the tool bar. This will allow changes to be loaded as you make them to the APU1.
    Thanks for the expert advise. Still learning as I go with building experience. Just read your reply after running the 350 Vortec engine. Likely running on the Limp Home Mode. Need to build a written step by step procedure on what to do when running the engine, recording the data etc. Data acquisition (DA) just up and QUITS for some reason unknown to me. Then have to exit TunerPro and reload TunerPro, then toggle DA on then set recording on. Getting confused as to what steps to take when. Measured the resistance of the Knock Sensor and it reads approx 90 K ohms. Need to go to the parts store and get a new one and measure it before purchasing it. Check Engine Light on all the time when running. Called up the error list, and Knock Sensor is 1 of 2 showing up as being in error mode. The second error is the IAC which I have disconnected. Will reconnect, replace Knock Sensor and run the 350 Vortec again to see if things get better.

Need to load bin file to buffer and then emulate from there. Will look for EPROM button on tool bar.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post

I keep trying to adjust for rich fuel at idle. Monitoring AFR with Innovate LM-1. At idle, BPW is 2.x+. Altered the idle VE table by 50% and still runs rich. Don't understand why. Is it because it is in Limp Home mode? How does one go about leaning out the idle? Ignition timing is another one that I cannot get a handle on. Maybe after replacing the Knock Sensor things will get more reasonable. Too many variables thrown into the mix just causes confusion as to what to do next.

Are you sure you are in LHM? Something that could be affecting you is are you going closed loop? If the engine is in open loop, it doesn't use the VE table at all. Also, without IAC, it may indeed be rich. I know that you are getting high IAC counts, and a higher idle RPM than you desire, but that can be timing, a consequence of a large cam, or too much fuel. Concentrate on getting a data log, then look at what is happening, then adjust parameters. You say BPW is 2+, it may be too big, that is also something you may need to adjust, but don't get ahead of yourself. Only modify one thing, watch the change it makes, then move on to the next adjustment. If you see no change, put it back to the original value before changing something else. If you make changes keep a log of what you did and how it changed how the engine ran. That way, if you have to undo something, you know what you have changed.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

In LHM, the EEPROM or Emulator could be completely disconnected from the ECM and run exactly the same. LHM runs off the redundant fuel device, the small IC in the '7747, and not the EEPROM.

If you are indeed in LHM, then no matter what you do with the bin, and emulation, you will never see a change.

Did you enable emulation by clicking on the blue EEPROM button? If so, did you disable checksum by changing the mask ID byte to AA? If the checksum is not disabled, then an ECM can revert to LHM even after being started if anything is changed in the bin.
    A way around the checksum issue is to upload the entire bin when you make a change without enabling emulation.

To check for LHM, turn the ignition on and if the CEL (Check Engine Light) just comes on solid without a flash, then you are in LHM, if the CEL flickers quickly (and usually dimly) then you are in LHM. The CEL needs to flash, then stay on solid when the key is turned on to know that you are running off the EEPROM or emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Are you sure you are in LHM? Something that could be affecting you is are you going closed loop? If the engine is in open loop, it doesn't use the VE table at all. Also, without IAC, it may indeed be rich. I know that you are getting high IAC counts, and a higher idle RPM than you desire, but that can be timing, a consequence of a large cam, or too much fuel. Concentrate on getting a data log, then look at what is happening, then adjust parameters. You say BPW is 2+, it may be too big, that is also something you may need to adjust, but don't get ahead of yourself. Only modify one thing, watch the change it makes, then move on to the next adjustment. If you see no change, put it back to the original value before changing something else. If you make changes keep a log of what you did and how it changed how the engine ran. That way, if you have to undo something, you know what you have changed.
    Regardless of the ECM being in closed or open loop, the VE table is ALWAYS used for fueling. Closed loop simply trims or adds fuel from the VE table (and other multipliers) in the final injector PW calculation.