Thread: n00b here, tony-baroni, looking to learn about Chevy TBI

Fuel Injected!

n00b here, tony-baroni, looking to learn about Chevy TBI

Hi
    I recently purchased a Chevy van, 1995. It's got a 350 TBI, the 2nd motor in it, and it needs work. I'm looking to replace it was a slightly tuned 350, and hope with some PCM mods, using tunerpro, to be able to improve power, torque, driveability and mileage.

I hope this site has well presented information to help me teach myself about how to work the EFI system, and ideally be able to test various configs without having to rely on someone else.

thanks for hosting,
    tony

TunerPro RT is an excellent tool for tuning the TBI.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Dave

All,
    I've done some reading here and on tunerpro's website. Most of it appears to be pretty advanced (writing bin files, etc).

What I'd like to start with, is to learn how to attach a ALDL cable and view diagnostics on tunerpro V5 with my vehicle. Do I need special files (Bin's, etc.) to simply view the diagnostics while the vehicle is running? Or Can I simply plug it in and run the engine?

The first things I'd like to gather intel on are:
    1. Confirm if my EGR works (it's TB vacuum port is clogged so I would like to learn what that looks like in diagnostics)
    2. Test for a clogged exhaust system (need a tach to hold steady RPM's while vacuum gage is hooked up)
    3. See if there is any indication in diagnostics about low compression in one of my cylinders (wet and dry, very low in one cylinder)

If anyone can point me to the first timer articles I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Anthony

Fuel Injected!
    I discovered a good help section in tunerpro, so I'm starting in there tonight. It appears I need tunerpro RT to display data while running the vehicle, so I've added that version of the program.

It also appears I need more than a .bin file. So I've started that search. So far I have not found what I need.

I have a 1995 Chevy G30 (1 ton, heavy duty) Van, with a 5.7L, 4L80-E Tranny, and 4.10 rear end CA vehicle. It has ECM ​16197427.

Masks listed on tunerpro site:

• $31 (95 Van/Truck 5.7L)
    • $0E (94 5.7L Heavy Duty Van/Truck)
    • $0D (94-95 C/K Truck w/ various engine sizes, including 5.7L, with my ECM).
    • $99 (92-95 trucks w/ TBI & 4L8161974270-E tranny, but the ECM doesn’t match mine)

Which one to use? they're also listed as not verified, and could be damaging for the vehicle to run in emulation mode, however I'm just trying to diagnose at this stage, so I wouldn't think there would be much risk, other than bad data being displayed.

On this forum,
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D
    there's a thread with quite a few of these files, however I don't see one for my application, and there are many acronyms that I am unfamiliar with used to describe the files.

Could you help me to find and determine which files to load?

We should be able to figure the files you need, if you can post the Broadcast Code (BCC) of your chip. The BCC is a 4 letter code, usually starts with "B", for example "BJLA". You posted you have a 4L80E, that leaves $OE or $31 as the only options.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Dave

From a picture I have of the ECM, there is a label on it (where I found the serial #), behind that is a four letter code, and it appears to be BNKM.

I'll start an online search.

How does one tell that $oE is for 4L80E vs $OD?

My cable manufacturer gave me some tips, and I've been going through tunerpro RT help. They indicated I needed to load two files, which I did. The help section lists three files, so I think I am still short the .bin file.
    I also configured the cable (test in tunerpro indicates it is good). But it's not showing data when I connect it to the vehicle.
    tony

Fuel Injected!
    quick update....further online research. Two seperate threads indicate for this combination of PCM and 4 letter code, I should use $31, and $0E. So I'm narrowing it down.

However I cannot find those BINs. I have loaded those two files, bin definition .xdf, and datastream definition file, .adx, you pointed me to earlier. Tunerpro needs 3 files, those two plus the bin.

I'm still digging.

Fuel Injected!

Talking

last update for today.

I dug further, and found on this forum a $31 bin, for a different PCM # which the author said was compatible. I loaded that, along with the xdf and the ads, and was able to see data coming through! Woohoo!

So I've accomplished my first step in the process, it feels good.

Next is to figure out what to do with the data, how to record it, and see things like fuel trims. I am watching data from the dash viewer now, and confirmed the vehicle does go into closed loop mode once it's warmed up.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tony-baroni View Post
    last update for today.

I dug further, and found on this forum a $31 bin, for a different PCM # which the author said was compatible. I loaded that, along with the xdf and the ads, and was able to see data coming through! Woohoo!

So I've accomplished my first step in the process, it feels good.

Next is to figure out what to do with the data, how to record it, and see things like fuel trims. I am watching data from the dash viewer now, and confirmed the vehicle does go into closed loop mode once it's warmed up.

Thanks
    I never have seen a California .bin file for a HD G30 van. Is it the same BNKM memcal as the normal G30? The stuff I have looked at for California tend to run somewhat richer than the 49 state vehicles, run less timing advance across the board, especially at part-throttle and have an air injection aka smog pump to inject air into either the manifolds during warmup or into the catalyst after warmup. The lower timing values and richer mixture lower the nitrogen oxide emissions while the air injection and 3-way catalyst oxidize and burn up the CO and HCs created by running richer. The CA bins run richer by using higher 02 sensor target voltages, not necessarily higher VE tables.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-20-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I never have seen a California .bin file for a HD G30 van. Is it the same BNKM memcal as the normal G30? The stuff I have looked at for California tend to run somewhat richer than the 49 state vehicles, run less timing advance across the board, especially at part-throttle and have an air injection aka smog pump to inject air into either the manifolds during warmup or into the catalyst after warmup. The lower timing values and richer mixture lower the nitrogen oxide emissions while the air injection and 3-way catalyst oxidize and burn up the CO and HCs created by running richer. The CA bins run richer by using higher 02 sensor target voltages, not necessarily higher VE tables.
    Morning Fast355
    Your comments make this process sound even more daunting! At this stage I am learning how to log data, and what the acronms stand for, and what they do. Next I will use my new knowledge to better understand the vehicle and be able to diagnose issues. I am a fan of Schodinger's Box on youtube, he's a great resource for learning some of the basics of diagnosis, though it took me a while to figure out STFT is INT and LTFT is Block Learn. He works on mostly post 96 vehicles.

Finally, once through that I might try tuning, though at this stage the vehicle appears to be mostly stock, though the engine is a replacement 350 from jasperengines. They were not able to give me much information on it (no details on specs, just said it was a stock replacement).

I have read there are ways to pull the original stock files from the ECM. If there is anyone knowledgeable enough to walk me through that who is interested in pulling the files, contact me. However I do not think this vehicle has a smog pump (AIR pump).

Fuel Injected!
    I have a symptom that I'd like to try and diagnose with TunerPro and hopefully someone on the forum can provide some help.

The symptom, is what feels like an occasional miss under load. It's more frequent at altitude, though has started to happen at sea level. I've discovered that it coincides with a brief rise in spark advance, by viewing the graphs in tuner pro. Here's an example.
    Attachment 8880
    Hopefully this image can be enlarged. Just after 8:36, it happens (a slight increase in spark advance, coincides w/ the stumble), again at 8:44, then 8:51.

I also found a couple bigger strange reactions in the spark advance, shown in these images.
    Attachment 8881Attachment 8882

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help.