Thread: TBI and Lunati Voodoo cam

Carb and Points!

TBI and Lunati Voodoo cam

Hi guys I've been lurking around this website for a while now trying to learn about tuning my tbi system. I have a few questions about what I'm wanting to do and it seems like everyone here has some great answers.

at the moment i have a 1990 chevy pick up regular cab short bed. My mods at the moment are,

ultimate tbi mods
    headman headers with y pipe 3'' full exhaust
    373 gears (possible upgrade to 411 because i upsized to 20'' wheels)
    2000 stall tq converter

Im really wanting to cam my truck and pick up a few ponies. after reading about and searching tbi cams i think i have narrowed down to my selection to the lunati voodoo 256/262 https://www.lunatipower.com/Product....d=1982&gid=287

I haven't taken the truck to the track yet but I'm really hoping to have it break into the 13's at some point with the tbi system. but within the next couple of months I'm looking forward to doing cam/valve springs/intake

I'm also looking to get trickflow heads but not for a while.

as for the lunati cam would that be a good choice? what would be some good valve springs to pair up with the cam? and as far as tuning goes would it be extremely difficult for a beginner like me? I'm not opposed to paying someone to burn a chip for me.

thanks,

Have you thought about installing a Wide Band O2 Sensor WBO2? To get into the 13's I'm thinking a WBO2 would be a requirement.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Problem2420 View Post
    Hi guys I've been lurking around this website for a while now trying to learn about tuning my tbi system. I have a few questions about what I'm wanting to do and it seems like everyone here has some great answers.

at the moment i have a 1990 chevy pick up regular cab short bed. My mods at the moment are,

ultimate tbi mods
    headman headers with y pipe 3'' full exhaust
    373 gears (possible upgrade to 411 because i upsized to 20'' wheels)
    2000 stall tq converter

Im really wanting to cam my truck and pick up a few ponies. after reading about and searching tbi cams i think i have narrowed down to my selection to the lunati voodoo 256/262 https://www.lunatipower.com/Product....d=1982&gid=287

I haven't taken the truck to the track yet but I'm really hoping to have it break into the 13's at some point with the tbi system. but within the next couple of months I'm looking forward to doing cam/valve springs/intake

I'm also looking to get trickflow heads but not for a while.

as for the lunati cam would that be a good choice? what would be some good valve springs to pair up with the cam? and as far as tuning goes would it be extremely difficult for a beginner like me? I'm not opposed to paying someone to burn a chip for me.

thanks,
    I personally would not use Trickflow nor would I expect that cam to break into the 13s.

Electronic Ignition!
    I used TF 23d heads on my 84 Xfire w good success. It ran low 13's. If swapping cams, I wouldn't do anything other than a roller retrofit.

I've had excellent performance results using a stock 1996 ~ 1999 5.7 liter Vortec engine with a TBI intake. I don't do drag strips runs, so I don't know if a stock 1996 ~ 1999 5.7 liter Vortec engine with a TBI intake can do 13's. I know the 1996 ~ 1999 5.7 liter Vortec engine is a roller camshaft engine, and the Vortec heads are good flowing heads at a fair price. I'm thinking, based on budget, a 1996 ~ 1999 5.7 liter Vortec engine with an aftermarket camshaft, 600 CFM TBI throttle body using 80 lbs injectors would be a good foundation to build a 13's project with?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Thanks guys the motor Is a 88-95 replacement crate motor from summit and I'm not sure if they come roller ready. So I just want to do a cam for the mean time and if it's roller ready when I swap my heads I can do a roller cam. Just looking to gain a few hp without spending too much

I have vortec heads but they are in need of a rebuild and machine shops want to charge almost as much as what I can pick up some aluminum trick flows for.

Btw I just got my truck dynoed today 163hp 241tq.

Carb and Points!
    Just wanted to add some parts I recently just bought for the cam swap

edelbrock tbi intake
    fuel pressure gauge and line adapter (tried to install and snapped the tbi pod) lol

i I plan on buying a msd distributor/afpr/electric fans/wb02

Does anyone have other recommended parts for the cam swap

also anyone have objections to the lunati cam ? Or what type of valve springs I should go with?

Think ur gonna have to spray that thing to get into 13's. Lol, jk. But pickups are relatively heavy and it's going to take quite a bit of power to put one in that range...much more than it would a 3000lb car. I think the cam is a good choice for a 350 daily driver but if you are going to turn that kind of power I would definitely go larger. I agree with the other suggestions also on going roller. The block should have the bosses already there but you may have to drill and tap them to go to the roller setup but there are a lot of roller grinds that can make more power and still stay streetable. On the springs others opinions may be different but I have used lunati and comp springs both with great results. I've had a few spells of bad luck with k motion but that may just be the engine I have had them on is hard on valve train. I would look to lunati website for recommendations on spring pressure and installed height. You can also buy the springs and lifters as a kit with the cam from them. To make the kind of power you are going to need to get in the 13 range I would definitely go with a good flowing head and bigger cam. I'm new to tuning tbi and just getting into it myself but with the cam you have picked and a good flowing head I would say somewhere in the 330 hp range which I don't think will quite get you there.

If you look at my signature, you can see what I've done to get high 14 second passes out of my truck on a g-tech. I have substantial wheel spin issues, I'm hoping at the track this spring I don't have them. I still have tuning to do, but in a heavy 4x4 truck, I'm pleased so far. In a 2 wheel drive with a little more cam and less weight is possible.

BLG
    My Build: 95 K1500, 355ci w/ OEM roller setup - zero decked, Eagle steel crank, Scat bushed H-beam rods, Speed Pro 2V flat top pistons - Rotating assembly balanced. Dart 165cc Iron Eagle S/S heads - 72cc chambers - 1.94 / 1.50 valves. Isky roller cam - 204/209 dur @ .050 - .480/.496 lift with Comp Magnum 1.6 rockers, Edelbrock 3704 intake - Bored to 52mm - 454 throttle body, Delco EP381 fuel pump @ 18 psi running through 80# 454 injectors. Hedman Headers into 3" Dynomax exhaust.

Electronic Ignition!
    Rule of thumb is that a roller is worth another 10* on duration for both sides. And no break in necessary.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Problem2420 View Post
    Thanks guys the motor Is a 88-95 replacement crate motor from summit and I'm not sure if they come roller ready. So I just want to do a cam for the mean time and if it's roller ready when I swap my heads I can do a roller cam. Just looking to gain a few hp without spending too much

I have vortec heads but they are in need of a rebuild and machine shops want to charge almost as much as what I can pick up some aluminum trick flows for.

Btw I just got my truck dynoed today 163hp 241tq.
    If you were on a Dynojet the drivetrain runs approximately 18% loss that is 198 HP and 293 TQ at the crank and jives quite well with the factory 200 HP and 300 TQ ratings. With that being said it should be making more power honestly. If you were on a Mustang dyno with the additional 10% loss over they dynojet it would be about 220 HP and 325 TQ at the crank and would make a little more sense with your mods.

The TBI 305 (Flattop pistons, stock 187 heads, and a Federal Mogul CS1014R 204/214 cam with crappy flowtech headers in my 1983 G20 was putting down 181 RWHP and 268 RWTQ on a Mustang dyno.

Carb and Points!
    I remember reading somewhere that a stock l05 would put down around 140hp and 210 tq, but I also have the feeling that the truck isn't running how it should be. I need to check the fuel pressure and the timing when I get a chance. Also the upsized wheels might have an effect on the dyno
    Last edited by Problem2420; 03-18-2015 at 12:17 AM.